PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Disneyland Guests

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

clehr68
07-13-2001, 06:49 AM
I don't go to Disneyland very often but when I do there always seems to be some guest that forgot to bring their brains. On my last trip I saw 2. Both were in New Orleans Square.

The first was a lady tormenting a poor CM working at one of the icecream wagons. She had asked how long it takes to eat a frozen banana and when the CM replied that it depends on the person and the banana she would not take that as an answer. She kept asking over and over - well for the average person how long would it take to eat one - how long for an adult - how long for my kids. I almost made up an answer for her just to get her out of the line.

The second genius I saw yelled at some poor cast member because her automatic wheelchair (I think that's what they are called) had broken down and she had been waiting for over 2 hours for them to bring her a new one. After yelling at this poor CM she finally told him that out of the 3 or 4 different CM'S she saw driving around looking for her over the past 2 hours he was the only one that could find her.
When he asked what was wrong with the wheelchair she had she said that it would only run in low gear and not at high speed. Any person with any brain would NOT sit and watch frustrated cast members try to find them for 2 hours. She could have yelled out to them - or even better - have one of the non-disabled people with her flag down the CM. Or (hows this for an idea only a rocket scientist could think of) she could have ridden her wheelchair herself in low gear to get a replacement. (With the crowds that day she didn't need to fly around the park anyway.)

Castmbrdlx
07-13-2001, 09:23 AM
Being a castmember is tough at times but I think we all learn to deal with the irate guests. Though I have never been yelled at. I have come across guests that have been less that polite.

DisneylandKid
07-13-2001, 12:18 PM
I've seen many crazed guests complaining in City Hall. One was complaining that she had come to Disneyland for one purpose - to ride the Matterhorn. It was closed that day, and she insisted that Disneyland refund her passports as well as her family's plane tickets.
Another guest complained that she did not like the popcorn that Disneyland had. She demanded a refund for her popcorn ($2.25 or something like that) plus $43 for admission.

Doodle Duck
07-13-2001, 12:59 PM
I think I would have explained to the 1st lady how to REMOVE a Frozen bananna if she didn't buzz off.
Good thing I'm not a CM.
You do a good job folks.

amynicole22
07-13-2001, 02:04 PM
I always sit behind stupid folks on boat rides. One gentleman actually stood up on the drops on Pirates. Stood up! Stupid and a bad example. What if you lose your balance and fall out of the boat? Crunch!

Second stupid boat guy was on it's a small world. He reached out his arm and pushed the boat the entire ride by pushing against the side of the flume. Dude - relax - the boat moves by itself - you don't have to paddle.

I personally would have been a smart aleck to the banana woman and told her that it takes approximately 13.72 minutes for an adult male aged 25 to successfully ingest a frozen banana, plus or minus .22 seconds. But then, that's why I'm not a cast member.

Permanecer Sentados
07-13-2001, 02:12 PM
Question asked me by a young English girl who was about 17 (re: Space Mountain): Can we smoke in this ride?

Oh, and anyone who asks where the "Haunted House" is, is automatically deemed a stupid guest.

Castmbrdlx
07-13-2001, 02:22 PM
I was asked where the HM was 4 times yesterday????

JRob2k1
07-13-2001, 02:55 PM
I was waiting in line at the NOS train station and a couple in front of me asked a CM where the Haunted Mansion was. He said, "Get on the next train, ride it until you come to the 4th stop. Get off and take an immediate left and there it is." The couple thanked him and got on the train.

It took me awhile to understand, and then...I got it!! I laughed for a long time and I wish I could have seen the couple's faces when they arrived back to where they started.

-JRob

WizKidRyan
07-13-2001, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Permanecer Sentados
Oh, and anyone who asks where the "Haunted House" is, is automatically deemed a stupid guest.

Hehe...Funny you say that. I myself am not a cast member but I once had a woman walk up to me and say "Where is the haunted mansion?" and i (being the nice person that I am) point over in the direct. "It's to your left. Walk forward about five feet" :D
I dont put too much blame on her tho because she had 3 kids with her, under 5 all screaming and yelling, and she was up to her neck in souveniers. :eek:

Lost Boy
07-13-2001, 10:02 PM
I am not a cast member either, but during the 2 1/2 years that my friend and I went to DL every Sunday I wore a certain outfit to the Park. This consisted of a Handpainted Jacket with Fantasmic on the Back, DISNEYLAND printed down one sleeve, Timon, looking very cocky on the other sleeve, and pictures on the front upper shoulders. The front was covered in pin-back pins, Cloisenne Pins and the shoulder tops had running lights. The hat was a beak hat that said "Disney Sutios" on the front. The hat portion was covered in pins, and PVC figures of The Fab 5 where fastened to the top of the beak protion and there were lights all over that portion. Oh, I also wore Mickey Gloves. It was almost a costume in itself. But, it served a purpose. I was known to many Cast Members by that outfit, and the costumed characters had a ball with me because of that. Also I was approached by many guests (especially from Japan) who wanted there picture taken with me. Now to continue with the thread subject here:

I once had a lady approach me late in the day, looking very frazzled and holding a much used guide book, opened to show the map. She was totaly lost. I was standing by the stariway up to the Disney Gallery above Pirates on the Adventureland side, and she was just totally lost. She looked at me and begged me to show her where she was and how to find the exit. She had a bunch of little mishief makers with her, and just looked so sad and frazzled I just pointed to where we were on the map, then turned her around so she could see straight down thru Adventureland. I told her to walk all the way to the end, go left, then right bu the Tiki Room and she would be at the Hub, then turn right and go down Main Street and she would find the exit under the Train Tracks. Then she asked where the nearest bathrooms where, and I told her about the ones at the end of Adventureland so she wouldn't have to go out of her way or get lost again trying to find the ones in New Orleans Square. She just thanked me so much, and looked so relieved I could only smile and say just part of the job.
The other one was really funny. It was when the Indy Ride was being built and the big green wall was up. My freind really wanted to look down in there and see what they where doing, so he climbed up into Swiss Family Treehouse. I remained below leaning on that smae starcase as before. A whole group of Japanese Toruists (with no tour guide leader - I guess it was a group of business men traveling on there own) stood talking about 25 feet or so from me. They where all pointing in different directions, and babbling on and on, and pointing to the map and looking all around. One of them saw me in my outfit, and came walking over to me. He bowed, so I bowed back, and in halting English he asked me where the Dolphin Show was. The only thing I could do (keeping a straight face the whole time) was point south and say about 500 miles that way down at Sea World. He looked around and asked where that was. I told hime again, very slowly that it was in another Theme Park in San Diego, no Dolphin Show here. No Dolphin Show Here? No, none here. he bowed again and went back to the group, more gesturing and pointing and they all headed out toward Main Street. I don't know where they ended up, but I was just laughing so hard I had to sit down. One of the custodial guys had seen the whole thing and he was just cracking up. Well done, he said. I have had a lot of strange things happen to me at the park, but that one takes the cake.:D

Morrigoon
07-13-2001, 11:36 PM
Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Where are the Rocket Roads/Rocket Ride/Car Ride?

Where's that mountain ride?

pheneix
07-14-2001, 05:33 AM
I can beat all of these. One time a guy in front of me in line to make a reservation at The Garden Grill in Epcot asked a CM, "What is on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?"

I also heard this in line at the TOT in MGM: "The Pizza Planet restaurant, that sounds nice. Does that have Fastpass?"

Pheneix

Haldwitten
07-14-2001, 06:48 AM
That often quoted phrase about "Guests checking their brain at the front gate" is, in my opinion, being too kind. Many of "those people" are just as stupid outside the park as they are inside the park.

Just the other day, I was standing behind a lady at the grocery who presented a coupon for some hand cream - but the actualy bottle of hand cream she wanted to purchase was an entirely different brand. I sat there for five minutes watching the poor checkout girl try to explain why she couldn't use that coupon on that brand of hand cream. Yet the customer insisted she could because it was the same weight as the one in the coupon. THE SAME WEIGHT?!?

And my favorite stupid question is when a guest comes up and asks, "FastPass?" One word... just one word. "FastPass?" This is followed by my question, "To get one or to use one?" 90% of the time... this inspires them to be more articulate... but there are always those 10% who ask, "What do you mean?"

One day I'm just going to smile back and reply, "Oxygen?"

And then there's always, "What time do you take the 10:00 pm FastPass?" Answer: "Next Thursday."

The other night I was working at the FastPass point where I take the tickets and control the flow of the two lines. A lady walked up through the FastPass line, so I asked for her ticket. She didn't have one. First, she insisted the signs were switched and that she had entered the "Standby Line." After politely pointing out she was mistaken, the lady INSISTED the signs were switched and offered to take me back and show me. I finally told her the signs were bolted to the wall and had presented no problem for the other 20,000 guests that day. She then had THREE other excuses for why she was in the FastPass line - at which point I finally told her, "Ma'am... you are not getting past this point without a FastPass." She actually replied, "So what do you want me to do... walk all the way back out and get in this other line?" All I could answer was, "Yes... yes I do." She stomped off mumbling, "Fine... fine... fine... whatever... fine... whatever... fine..." <sigh>

Oh, and one more... you wouldn't believe how many times a day when I give directions to the closest restroom, the guest replies, "Are you sure?" As if I had never been asked that question ever before... OR... I've forgotten about some other bathroom just ten feet away. <sigh> <groan> <shudder>

I sometimes wonder how the human race has gotten as far as it has... then I realize people like that are just riding on the coattails. And asking the whole time... "FastPass?" "FASTPass?" FastPASS?"

WizKidRyan
07-14-2001, 08:29 AM
ROFL Haldwitten....Your post made my day :D
Sounds like someone was just a tad fed up with the guests ;)

Haldwitten
07-14-2001, 11:46 AM
Oh, I'll never be fed up with the average guest... they make my job a joy.

Perhaps the stupid guests are God's way of providing sitcom entertainment when we're away from the telvision.

Last night, we had a little boy who was about two inches too short to ride our attraction. It was his third birthday and he was looking forward to it all day. When he found out he couldn't ride, he started crying and crying. Well, his father and older brother went to ride while he sat outside with his mother. I took them over to a nearby souvenier stand and got him a little beanie character and told him it was for his birthday from all of us at Disneyland. Then I gave him a re-ad for his whole family to go ride Pirates of the Caribbean (his favorite) without having to wait in line. That cheered him up. I told him next year he'd be able to ride no problem... and even though he was a big boy - he just needed to be a bit bigger to ride some of the rides. :-)

I actually have my own personal rule... for any incredibly rude guest I encounter, I make sure I do something extra special for three random families. Kind of a karmic kickback.

One night, an old man got upset because I let two little kids go through the FastPass early so they could go on home afterward. He pitched a fit unlike any other I've ever seen. A man his age... getting that upset over two little kids wanting to ride... it was truly sad. Oh, he was the guardian of "all things fair" and spoke to my lead about my "bad attitude" and how I was "playing favorites" and blah blah blah. Well, what this old curmudgeon will never know is that to get "even" for HIS bad attitude... I gave SIXTY people valid FastPasses to our attraction. I just grabbed a bunch from the collected box so I knew they were "ready to go" and SIXTY people got to ride either again or without any wait whatsoever. HA!

I spoil people rotten in the park... and anyone who can't be happy at Disneyland probably isnt' too happy anywhere else.

DisneyFreak2000
07-14-2001, 01:13 PM
One of the stupidest things I've heard anybody say was when I was in line for Splash Mountain. Somebody came up to us and asked us if the ride went upside down. My friends and I were dumbfounded. How could someone be that stupid. Here it is, a log flume ride and they want to know if it went upside down. Joking around I said yes, it had three inversions and the woman walked away.

Mandrake Linux
07-14-2001, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFreak2000
One of the stupidest things I've heard anybody say was when I was in line for Splash Mountain. Somebody came up to us and asked us if the ride went upside down. My friends and I were dumbfounded. How could someone be that stupid. Here it is, a log flume ride and they want to know if it went upside down. Joking around I said yes, it had three inversions and the woman walked away.

Hey, you COULD add some pixie dust and make the thing fly to make a loop.

Mandrake Linux
07-14-2001, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Haldwitten
That often quoted phrase about "Guests checking their brain at the front gate" is, in my opinion, being too kind. Many of "those people" are just as stupid outside the park as they are inside the park.

And THAT is why you should never use drugs, boys and girls.

Morrigoon
07-14-2001, 10:20 PM
Orginally posted by Haldwitten:
And asking the whole time... "FastPass?" "FASTPass?" FastPASS?"

You forgot these two non-questions-

"Bathrooms?"
"Banos?"

I've worked in restaurants for ages, and I still can't get over when people walk in and I say "Hi, how are you doing tonight?" and their response is "3, non smoking"

Haldwitten
07-15-2001, 12:00 AM
Yes, some poor guests just glue their ears shut. I've gotten to where I have fun with it, though.

"Please stand behind the yellow line Please stand behind the yellow line Please stand behind the yellow line Please stand behind the yellow line Please stand behind the yellow line Please stand behind the yellow line"

Usually by the third time, the other guests begin pulling them behind the yellow line just to shut me up.

My other favorite way to get someone's attention who is "off in their own world:"

CM: Excuse me, Ma'am... Excuse me... Excuse me... Ma'am... Excuse me.... (Long pause) OH MY GOD YOUR HAIR IS ON FIRE!

For some reason, they always listen to THAT. Then I say, "My mistake... now step back behind the yellow line." I've learned you can get away with a lot if you have a smile and a mischievous grin.

Thunderhorn
07-15-2001, 03:21 PM
I have not run into any stupid guests (at least that I remember). I did watch an overworked Castmember direct traffic near the Plaza Pavillion between Fantasmic and Believe... shows. About every two minutes a guest would come up and say "Where is Main Street" and his reply was always "Keep going straight and you will be walking down Main Street". Also, he was trying to make everyone go in certain paths to control the flow of traffic (or should I say sheep). Every 10th guest would insist on going the wrong way even though he would tell them how to get where they want to go. Half of those guests would try to sneak around him. LOL

I was surprised how the Plaza Pavillion didn't fill up for the fireworks. Although the soundtrack is difficult to hear, you get a great view of the fireworks and a comfy seat at a table.:confused:

ODV CM
07-15-2001, 07:36 PM
Oh god, where to begin. Yes, I've been asked directions to the Batman ride, the Back to the Future Ride, Magic Mountain, the Star Trek ride, etc. Probably my favorite is what happens after I give directions to the bathrooms though. For some reason, and I swear I am not eggagerating, 50% of the time they go the opposite way of where I had pointed! No lie! I've also been asked why Disneyland lets it rain, and whether or not it was true that Walt Disney was frozen, then buried under the Sleeping Beauty castle. One time, while working on Churros 2 in Tomorrowland, there was a drink pushcart next to me. Anyway, for display purposes, one of the Coke's was open, and had a Mickey Topper on it. Well, this guest walks right into the cart, and knocks the drink over, and it spills onto his shoes. So he demands that Disneyland shine his shoes! My lead mentioned something about getting him new shoes from the hotel, but the man says no, he wants us to shine them. My lead then says that we don't have the proper equipment, and the guy says that we will have to go and buy some, and then take care of it. My lead said he will go check on it, and he leaves, and never comes back, and the man finally goes away. People really are very dumb creatures. It is kind of amazing that the human race has survived this long, when you think about it. But I always think of a quote from Men in Black that kind of helps me get through it: "A person is smart. People are dumb." Its only when you get them in large groups in unfamiliar places when they act really stupid, or so I tell myself.

Briarose710
07-15-2001, 07:48 PM
OK i've lurked here for awhile but i had to add to this post.. I'm a CM at DCA (stores come wisit sometime!) anyways stupid guests...how about i was land help for the electrical parade one of the first nights and the guy worjking the same area with me had a woman telling him he was discriminating against her because he wanted her to stand out of the way of floats...yea thats why he had everyone else over there too...
Do me a favor check the merrchandise for a price tag before you ask how much it costs?because i will only laugh at you backstage.=)
People keep asking me "I can catch the electrical parafe at Disneyland too right??"
Yea...sure.....go there please??
ok I'm really not totally fed up with guests..nice guests make my day happy and are fun to convers with..and stupid guests..well they give me amusing stories to tell
=)

CTB21
07-16-2001, 07:49 PM
I could probably come up with more but the one that comes to mind is that we were walking past Pooh corner and this guy screams to his kids "LOOK THERE's TONY THE TIGER!!!!!".:D

PhilMP
07-17-2001, 02:13 AM
And how can a CM ever forget the question "Where's the exit?"

Of course, that question's much more humorous when you're at a Glow wagon next to the Newsstand when it's asked.

And I've had a Guest ask me if the Monorail platform is the parking structure. Go figure.

And there are always the stupidest Guests of all, the obsessive pin traders!!! I was offered 150 dollars for my Fourth of July Pin, 100 dollars for my Easter Pin, and 25 for my extremely cheap-looking Earth Day button. I wonder how much my 46th B-day pin is going to go for.

Phil