PDA

View Full Version : DS is pining for Disneyland popcorn....any acceptable substitues at home?

PoomShanka
02-19-2009, 12:56 PM
We bought the cute commemorative bucket this month on our trip and had it refilled for kids several times.

Now that we're home, DH's boring microwave popcorn just won't do to refill the bucket, according to DS's standards. I normally pop corn myself with lots and lots of real butter, but it's still different than that non-greasy Disney kind.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a kind to buy that is salty and flavorful (and, as DS requests: "yellow, not white!") Microwave is fine, I just don't have much knowledge on which kinds are any good, and DH has no taste.

Thank you!! :)

DisneyDustin22
02-19-2009, 02:16 PM
You could do some kettle corn, it has a salty sweet taste. You can always add melted butter to it too for extra flavor and color.

Have you tried looking for a stove popper? I have one of those and it actually gives the popcorn a bit of a dryer taste, than if popped in the bag. I think you can probably find one pretty cheap at somewhere like Target or Bed, Bath and Beyond.

dlfansx4
02-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for a kind to buy that is salty and flavorful (and, as DS requests: "yellow, not white!") Microwave is fine, I just don't have much knowledge on which kinds are any good, and DH has no taste.

Maybe you can try Jolly Time Blast o Butter Microwave popcorn. It is my kids favorite next to Disneyland popcorn. But I warn you, it is as bad for you as the Disneyland variety - definitely not the healthiest choice, LOL. But if your DS is looking for "yellow," this will work perfectly.

PoomShanka
02-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks for both ideas! I currently pop it in a big copper-bottomed kettle; I didn't know they made poppers for the stove!

I'll pick up some Blast o Butter (I like the "o'!) on my next shopping trip. If it's salty and yellow, DS is sure to like it.

Then again, some things just do taste better if you are actually in the park!

Mrs Mouse
02-19-2009, 03:51 PM

I think that the only logical solution would be another trip to Disneyland! ;)

PoomShanka
02-19-2009, 03:52 PM
HA HA I like your way of thinking!!!!!!!! I will suggest this to DH and get a huge, yet good-natured, eyeroll!:D

atomicjohnny
02-19-2009, 04:03 PM
I gurantee this will be the best popcorn you ever had!! And yes it comes out yellow rather than white. I'm sure it's not the healthiest popcorn you'll ever have but Dang it's sure good.

Every friend, neighbor and family member we've made this popcorn for says it's the best they've had and that it tastes suspiciuosly like DLRs.

1) Westbend Stir Crazy popecorn popper (has to be a stir crazy popcorn popper)

http://www.amazon.com/West-Bend-6-Quart-Popcorn-Popper/dp/B00004RC6R/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1235091421&sr=8-2

2) "Whirl" butter flavored cooking oil (has to be "Whirl") THIS IS THE KEY. Whirl only!

http://www.anything4restaurants.com/ProductDetail/?productid=101410

3) Any decent popcorn seed should work although we usually use Orville Red's seeds from Cosco

4) Make popcorn as you normally would using a Sitr Carazy, Whirl and normal seeds

~The secret to the flavor is the Whirl cooking oil!!!

(Also, this poprcorn makes a batch of to die for caramel corn)

Mrs Mouse
02-19-2009, 04:04 PM
HA HA I like your way of thinking!!!!!!!! I will suggest this to DH and get a huge, yet good-natured, eyeroll!:D
Hey, if your DH won't go and you need a travel buddy, us Canadians are very friendly. Besides, I could use a Dole Whip! :p

dsny1mom
02-19-2009, 06:17 PM
We bought the cute commemorative bucket this month on our trip and had it refilled for kids several times.

Now that we're home, DH's boring microwave popcorn just won't do to refill the bucket, according to DS's standards. I normally pop corn myself with lots and lots of real butter, but it's still different than that non-greasy Disney kind.

I *so* understand your son's love of DL popcorn.

I have tried every popcorn available in my area and have never found any that tastes the same.

Years ago some kind folks sent via USPS popcorn from Disneyland. Perhaps someone on this site would be willing to do the same for you. :)

dsny1mom

AVP
02-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Years ago some kind folks sent via USPS popcorn from Disneyland. Perhaps someone on this site would be willing to do the same for you. :) I draw the line at Monte Cristos. That was a stunt that should never be repeated. ;)

AVP

dlfansx4
02-20-2009, 09:20 AM
I think that the only logical solution would be another trip to Disneyland! ;)

Yes, that would be the only true solution ;-)

I have to admit, I had to resort to alternate methods to bring popcorn home with me because my supply of buckets has reached the obscene level. So now I take a large ziplock back with me and fill it up right before we leave.
Gotta have my DLR popcorn, LOL.

mulansgirl
02-22-2009, 03:30 PM
At smart and final they had these kits that came with popcorn and coconut oil. We used to make and give it away at our movie store and everyone loved it. It was not greasy to my (not always great) memory, but it was very yellow. you did have to buy a pretty big box of it though but that was never a problem for us. I know you are supposed to make it with a professional popcorn maker but one of my friends made it on the stove with no problem.

here is the kind we would get:
http://www.standardconcessionsupply.com/catalog/item/851159/5505961.htm

Good luck

shna
02-24-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm fond of Orville Redenbacher's Movie Theater Butter popcorn (microwave). Unless something has changed, I think the Disneyland popcorn is Orville Redenbacher...

FolsomFan
02-26-2009, 07:58 AM
I just had some a couple of days ago and miss it already. It is SO good!

missm
02-26-2009, 11:34 AM
http://www.google.com/products?q=whirley+pop&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=bfymScmLHozVnQeW6JTaDw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

Try the Whirleypop. It's cheap and comes with everything you need to get started.

DrinkupMeAttage
02-27-2009, 09:23 AM
I draw the line at Monte Cristos. That was a stunt that should never be repeated. ;)

AVP

Just an FYI- She had Monte Cristos sent to her too!! She was kinda enough to share and they were delicious!!

AVP
02-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Just an FYI- She had Monte Cristos sent to her too!! She was kinda enough to share and they were delicious!!I know. I was here. ;)

AVP