PDA

View Full Version : Lay-Off Implications for Disneyland

Toocherie
02-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Not sure if this is the correct place (thought about "Business of Magic") but I am mostly interested about the effect the lay-off and consolidation announced today will have on Disneyland's operations. (For those who don't know, Disney announced pending layoffs of "behind-the-scenes" personnel at its theme park division and the intention to consolidate many tasks so that one group will be coordinating operations for both Disneyland and WDW).

To me, it just sounds like each park will become (in some ways) a clone of the other. There will be no incentive for each park to have its own unique specialness and no longer any competitive drive between East Coast and West Coast. There are existing differences that can never be overcome, of course, but otherwise my crystal ball is showing that if something is introduced at one park it's sure to be introduced at the other park.

Thoughts?

VickiC
02-19-2009, 11:26 AM
I got the impression this was more aobut consolidating management functions than making the parks clones. IE having one IT group for both, one accounting group for both, etc.

Toocherie
02-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Actually, if you read the press release from David Koenig's blog http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/blog.php?b=359

it makes it clear that they are talking about making the parks "one park" --not just the administrative functions.

Toocherie
02-19-2009, 12:41 PM
and to further add: that is why I'm concerned. As someone commented to the blog posting, it's a further homogonizing of the parks--personally, I liked that someone in California was making purchasing decisions for DLR.

olegc
02-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Actually, if you read the press release from David Koenig's blog http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/blog.php?b=359

it makes it clear that they are talking about making the parks "one park" --not just the administrative functions.

i posted a comment to that blog that this had started in the late 90s and early 00s under pressler and when Rasulo came on board. Then when the 50th hit and Ouimet convinced them to specialize each park got its own Imagineer.

Now, Rasulo is winning again (I thought he was on his way out) and homoginized Disney experiences are on the horizon. I am just worried that since Al Weiss was the Imagineer responsible for DCA's makeover management, and he has been "transferred" to a global position, will they only finish the started projects and put the rest on hold (like carsland). Usually when you don't want something to happen you lay people off - or promote them...

AVP
02-20-2009, 07:15 PM
personally, I liked that someone in California was making purchasing decisions for DLR.A lot of merchandise buying is already done in Florida for both Resorts. Economies of scale make it cheaper to buy for both Resorts at once, but it often results in merchandise that is labeled "Walt Disney World" and "Disneyland Resort."

I will expect to see a decline in the already limited amount of park-specific merchandise, and an increase in attraction-specific merchandise that features the Florida version. That's already an issue - check out the "Disneyland Resort" calendar that has a WDW image in it. The WDW attraction images and icons are much different than Disneyland, and I'd hate to see those all over the park. I hope we don't see a return of that dreaded "Disney Parks" logo apparel that came out at the start of the first Year of a Million Dreams promotion.

I'm also worried about what this means for collectibles, as much of that development is Resort specific. Disney Design Group does a great job with Walt Disney World stuff, but it has a markedly different look and feel than does much of the stuff made for Disneyland. I would really truly hate to see that development leave Disneyland.

Foods is another area that I worry about heading East. It's one thing to create cup and napkin designs that can be used in two Resorts, but those two Resorts have SUCH different foods operations that I can't see how experience with one lends itself to planning for the other.

A lot of the people I've spoken with said they are just waiting to see how this all impacts their departments and jobs. There are a lot of people holding their breath right now.

AVP

janell
02-22-2009, 06:50 AM
I know they need to cut their budget and save money like the rest of us. I do know that if they do a limited amount of park-specific merchandise, they are going to help me cut my budget and save money, because I wont be buying there stuff.

I really do hate that when I was in WDW in 03, I bought items, to come home and find them at DLR. My next trip to WDW in 08, I was a careful shopper and if it said anything about DLR, I didn't buy it and I also went thought DLR looking at items just before my trip so I wouldn't buy something, then pay to bring it home(if my luggage was too heavy, you had to pay), just to find the same item here at DLR.

So Disney didn't help themselves, due to if they had different things at WDW they would have gotten more of my money. Oh well.

leota's necklace
02-23-2009, 09:19 AM
I'm concerned about the implications of the "One Disney" experience. I imagine it's theoretically a way to ensure consistent quality standards, but we all know the Parks are very different from each other. I've only visited two parks -- DLR and Paris -- and one of the things that was most charming was the differences between them. The Manse hosts in Paris provided a completely different experience from anything I'd witnessed in CA, for example. Homogenization just means I don't need to travel to see the others. I hear "One Disney", I think "bland, don't bother."

Rockchalker
02-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Does anyone know the stats on:

Number of annual passport holders versus normal paying visitor?

Number of southern California visitors versus otherside the area?

When we were there in December (2 of 3 of us using APs) I got the impression talking to the people at the turnstile that a lot of the crowds were AP holders.

We like DL more than WDW, but I think DL has been stereotyped as the park for locals with limited expansion options. So more dollars are spent expanding as well as promoting WDW.

olegc
02-24-2009, 06:18 AM
Does anyone know the stats on:

Number of annual passport holders versus normal paying visitor?

Number of southern California visitors versus otherside the area?

When we were there in December (2 of 3 of us using APs) I got the impression talking to the people at the turnstile that a lot of the crowds were AP holders.

We like DL more than WDW, but I think DL has been stereotyped as the park for locals with limited expansion options. So more dollars are spent expanding as well as promoting WDW.

It;s not a stereotype - it's a fact. Last time anyone threw numbers out there were supposedly 600,000 passholders for disneyland. but they are not the only ones supporting the park - locals make up a lot of visitors annually. All the reasons have been debated over the years (too many other activities in so cal to keep tourists here, not enough to do, not sequestered enough, etc.) but bottom line is the makeup is much more local than in Orlando - and that also means more demanding at times.

Rockchalker
02-26-2009, 07:59 AM
It;s not a stereotype - it's a fact. Last time anyone threw numbers out there were supposedly 600,000 passholders for disneyland. but they are not the only ones supporting the park - locals make up a lot of visitors annually. All the reasons have been debated over the years (too many other activities in so cal to keep tourists here, not enough to do, not sequestered enough, etc.) but bottom line is the makeup is much more local than in Orlando - and that also means more demanding at times.

But it would make sense that local visitors and passholders would limit the amount of monies gained to improve the park and generate an abundance of DLR only merchandise. I would think that local visitors and passholders are not going to be dropping $300-$500 in the Emporium each time they visit.

Speaking of WDW and DL combo merchandising....

Last February DD and I went to DL and bought grandma one of those collectible red buses with the year (2008) on it. In September we all went to WDW where grandpa bought a red 2008 bus for himself. They are the same bus, but in one package the bus is facing left and the other the bus is facing right.

Obviously, with merchandising a lot comes down to pricing....
I work for a printing company. And it is a lot less expensive to print 100,000 pieces with a plate change rather than print 50,000 of two separate jobs.

VickiC
02-26-2009, 08:57 AM
I am a local AP holder and the only merchandise I ever buy is a few pins for my kids. I don't know how typical I am but I've probably spent less than 100 dollars in merchandise in my last 3 years as an AP holder.

olegc
02-26-2009, 09:55 AM
But it would make sense that local visitors and passholders would limit the amount of monies gained to improve the park and generate an abundance of DLR only merchandise. I would think that local visitors and passholders are not going to be dropping $300-$500 in the Emporium each time they visit.

I think we're on the same page here. When I say locals are demanding that does not mean necessarily they want more stuff. Like any good Californian they want all the best stuff (in this case rides and shows) and not pay a "tax" for it (meaning higher prices). However, I wonder how Disney handles the money in terms of gate receipts vs merchandising vs foods. I doubt that it goes to one big pot for everyone to grab from. And the additional rumors coming out are that the focus is on operations and "front of house". so back of house folks (TDA and maybe late night) are targeted.

Still - the One Disney idea only works in practice if all the parks have a similar guest pattern - and globally they don't.

I am a local AP holder and the only merchandise I ever buy is a few pins for my kids. I don't know how typical I am but I've probably spent less than 100 dollars in merchandise in my last 3 years as an AP holder.

I think that's probably a little less than typical, but not by much. There are folks on this board much more experienced than I - but I am atypical on the other end. I am a collector of art and scultpure (and some prints and pins) so I don't necessarily get the regular core merchandise (which is also why this One Disney is a concern for me).

jenniebean
02-26-2009, 10:45 AM
I would think that local visitors and passholders are not going to be dropping $300-$500 in the Emporium each time they visit. Maybe not each time... :rolleyes:

I hate the merch labeled both DLR & WDW. I mean, I get why, I just don't like it. I have friends who go to WDW pretty often, & I like being able to pick them up stuff they wouldn't be able to get there because it's DLR exclusive.