PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Speech?

Mickeyslittlehelper
12-20-2002, 01:16 PM
I have to do a speech on any topic so i chose to do it on the happiest place on earth, so i chose Disneyland. I am from Canada and have been there about 6 times, the most recent was this August. Can anybody suggest a few good things to write on?

Thanks,
John

Rallymonkey23
12-20-2002, 01:22 PM
How about a trip report?

Or about the "great" shows they put on? :~)

DigTheGig
12-20-2002, 02:25 PM
How about some of Disneylands "Hidden Surprises"? Like......
The Golden Spike
Club 33
Snow White Grotto, singing well
Walts Private Apartment
etc......
Or you could do one on the "Hidden Mickey's" at DL.

Klutch
12-20-2002, 02:42 PM
I would like to suggest you speak about Disneyland as a shining example of happiness and optimism in an all too often cheerless and cynical world.

Remember that Disneyland opened in 1955 which was the height of American idealism.

tod
12-20-2002, 03:26 PM
Start with Walt bringing the girls to ride the merry-go-round and the ponies while he sat and watched them. How he thought that it would be nice to have a place where families could have fun together.

Go to Walt trying to get money to help build the park. Joining with ABC television to make "Disneyland" the TV show -- and no movie studio was making deals with TV in the early '50s. They were the enemy. Mortgaging his Smoke Tree Ranch (show a picture Walt with the STR tie) to raise more money.

The trees on the site that were going to be removed marked with one color ribbon, the ones to be saved marked with another color. The colorblind bulldozer operator who took them all down.

The drydock that Joe Fowler demanded Walt build, and Walt calling it "Fowler's Harbor."

The plumbers strike that made them make an executive decision to install bathrooms instead of drinking fountains. "They can buy drinks, but they can't pee in the street."

Opening day. TV special. Missed cues. Screwups. Forged tickets. Santa Ana freeway backed up for miles. But every kid in America wanted to go there.

Close with Disneyland welcoming its one-millionth guest --
seven weeks after opening day.

That's what I'd do. tell 'em stuff they don't know, with a definite end to the story: Opening Day.

--T
Who has books to recommend if you need them

Laffite
12-20-2002, 10:36 PM
tod, that certainly sounds cool!

gn2dlnd
12-22-2002, 12:11 PM
Unforunately, it's pretty much directly lifted from the old Walt Disney Story attraction at Disneyland. Just make sure you do your own research and use the facts that are pertinent to your presentation. Good luck!

tod
12-22-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by gn2dlnd
Unforunately, it's pretty much directly lifted from the old Walt Disney Story attraction at Disneyland.

I haven't been there in a while, but that could explain why those particular facts came to my mind bang-bang-bang like that.

Just make sure you do your own research and use the facts that are pertinent to your presentation. Good luck!

I agree, which is why I was vague rather than specific. More research is in order. That "They can't pee in the street" comment should be used judiciously, by the way.

--T
with a little more compassion for George Harrison on that "My Sweet Lord" business.

DisneyFan25863
12-22-2002, 05:43 PM
You could do a comparision of the "old Disneyland" and the "new Disneyland" and then have the Imperial March playing when you talk about the Pressler era! :D

gn2dlnd
12-23-2002, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by tod
That "They can't pee in the street" comment should be used judiciously, by the way.

That made me laugh!