PDA

View Full Version : Slow Clie

Bill Catherall
12-19-2002, 04:52 PM
So, I'm using my wife's Sony Clie this evening (that I bought her in September, see this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9626) for details) and I noticed that it's acting slower than usual. It's not unusably slow, just abnormally slow.

The screen takes an extra bit of time to refresh and it doesn't seem quite as responsive. I checked the memory and 7 of 16 MB is still free. Is this typical? Does it need to be "rebooted" or reset in anyway?

AVP
12-19-2002, 06:18 PM
Bill,

This may sound odd, but have you replaced the batteries? When my Visor starts acting sluggish, new batteries seem to make it happy.

AVP

Bill Catherall
12-19-2002, 06:25 PM
They're rechargeable, and they were low at the time I was using it...but I had it plugged in and charging. After it fully charges I'll see if it is still happening.

Thanks for the tip.

Lani
12-19-2002, 07:30 PM
Did your wife recently install any new applications, or changing the settings on a hack or anything?

Bill Catherall
12-20-2002, 08:01 AM
Well, I tested it after a full charge and it seems to be back to normal. It's strange that low batteries will do that. They weren't really that low. The meter showed about 1/4 of the life left.

Thanks again.

karl
01-02-2003, 07:32 PM
Bill -

Power consumption efficiency is often more important than speed on PDA's. The central processor is most often "sleeping".

While I have not considered or proofed this scenario, I would propose that your PDA may indeed slow-down to increase useful life, particularly if you are getting low on supply - sort of a self-defense mechanism. I'll have to check with others to see if this really is the case.

-- Karl