PDA

View Full Version : Bengal BBQ sauce?

Pages : [1] 2

Krisseee2
02-12-2009, 01:35 PM
ok sooo yesterday we went to DL and well we've been many times but never ate at the Bengal BBQ,so yesterday we got 2 of the chicken skewers and wow my BF fell in loveeee,mainly with the sauce they use,anyone know what it is or if I can get some in a store? thanks :):D

olegc
02-12-2009, 04:57 PM
ok sooo yesterday we went to DL and well we've been many times but never ate at the Bengal BBQ,so yesterday we got 2 of the chicken skewers and wow my BF fell in loveeee,mainly with the sauce they use,anyone know what it is or if I can get some in a store? thanks :):D

here http://www.ultimateorlando.com/archive/rest/recipes.html

and 2001 MP post said you can go into city hall and ask for a recipe.

Krisseee2
02-13-2009, 08:13 AM
Thank you much :)

TTFN92
02-14-2009, 02:24 PM
That shows the recipe for the beef skewers. Aren't they different sauces? I know I don't like one of them very much.

olegc
02-14-2009, 03:36 PM
That shows the recipe for the beef skewers. Aren't they different sauces? I know I don't like one of them very much.

the sauce for chicken is a little more red, and sweeter. could not find a recipe on line.

Burnt Toast
02-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Bengal BBQ Sauces

Tahitian Sauce (Chicken Dip)
Whole Cloves 4 each
Red Wine Vinegar 1 tblsp.
Catsup 1 cup
Crushed Pineapple 1/2 cup
Pineapple Juice 1/2 cup
Brown Sugar 1/2 cup
Soy Sauce 1/2 cup
Orange Juice Conc. 1/4 cup
Water 3 tblsp.

Simmer cloves in vinegar for 5-10 minutes. Strain cloves and add other ingredients. Bring mixture to slow boil over medium heat.

Tonkatsu Sauce (Chicken Marinade)
Teriyaki Sauce 1 cup
Soy Sauce 1 cup
Red Wine Vinegar 1 tblsp.
Brown Sugar 1 cup
Sherry Cooking Wine 1/2 cup
Whole Bay Leaf 2 each
Ground Black Pepper 1 tblsp.
Fresh Ginger Root 3 tblsp.
Fresh Garlic 2 tblsp.

Mix ingredients and marinade chicken overnight in your refrigerator.

Korean Sauce (beef dip)
WARNING: Very Hot Sauce
Soy Sauce 1 cup
Water 1 ½ cup
Ground Black Pepper 1 tblsp.
Sesame Seed Oil 3 tblsp.
Ground Red Pepper 1 tsp.
Cayenne Pepper 1/2 tsp.
Fresh Garlic 1 tblsp.
Corn Starch 1 tblsp.

Mix all ingredients except cornstarch. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat. Add cornstarch to thicken.

-----

NOTE: These were the sauce recipes BEFORE they were outsourced out (ie N.O. Main Kitchen no longer making them) back in the 90s when I worked at the BBQ.

Krisseee2
02-15-2009, 06:51 PM
so I bascailly just searched for polynesian Chicken and found a picture that looks excatly like the sauce they have...i'm going to try it out this week to see if it taste's the same :) let's hope.

Thanks for the info tho :)

Burnt Toast
02-16-2009, 03:03 PM
If you have some time, try making the original sauce using the recipies I provided... they are 100% better then the outsourced crap.

I was so pissed (I used to be one of the cooks there) when our manager at the time wanted to outsource the sauces... he was also the one that spearheaded the failed attempt to move from white meat to dark meat chicken.

Funny though, for about a month the company that they were thinking of using kept sending us samples after we provided them the recipies... and a lot of them were TERRIBLE. Hell, one of the chicken sauce samples was the color orange. Like bright orange. We couldn't figure out how they did that without food coloring, but it was obviously wrong and tasted terrible.

Also, just a friendly reminder... steam your chicken (also if you make the Safari skewers, the bacon-wrapped asaparagus). Lots of people used to ask to speak with me and then ask why their chicken or asaparagus came out wrong and it was usually because they didn't steam them through before hand.

Chadsgal
02-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Burnt Toast: Thanks so much for the recipe, This is the one thing I crave while I am away from DL. So you steam your chicken. :confused: I would have never thought of doing that. We always BBQ everything but I'll have to try that!

Burnt Toast
02-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Burnt Toast: Thanks so much for the recipe, This is the one thing I crave while I am away from DL. So you steam your chicken. :confused: I would have never thought of doing that. We always BBQ everything but I'll have to try that!

Yup! It cooks the chicken all the way through (no worries about undercooked meat) so you still get the tender chicken after BBQing.

Marinate the chicken in the marinade recipe above for at least a few hours and then steam the chicken. Then skewer it up (soak those wooden skewers in water before hand so they don't burn when you BBQ them) and BBQ. Then dip them in the sauce (heat the sauce on the grill as well) and serve.

Chadsgal
02-17-2009, 09:35 AM
YUM!!! I am so having this for Dinner this week. Maybe I'll make it a Disney theme LOL!! I also love the bacon wrapped asparagus so I will have to give that a go too.

Thanks Again!! :D

leota's necklace
02-17-2009, 10:10 AM
What's the best way to prepare the beef? Is that marinated as well, or is it just cooked with the sauce? Thanks to a birthday delivery of Dole Whip Mix I might be well on my way to recreating my Perfect Disneyland Snack of Banyan Beef Skewer and Dole Float, and that is too awesome for words.

PoomShanka
02-17-2009, 11:40 AM
What a find! Thanks for posting those recipes, Burnt Toast! The chicken skewers are my favorite.

I remember a purple drink there that I LOVED long ago...I think it was called Tiki Punch, or Tiki Cooler or something, but sadly that has been gone for many years. Any chance you know that recipe too? ;) (Maybe it was just two kinds of Kool Aid mixed together!) It was fantastic. Does anyone else remember this?

Burnt Toast
02-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Beef is just regular pieces of beef. No marinade.

Jungle Punch! I never worked there when we had it, but I do remember it as a Guest. We did try to bring Jungle Punch back when we opened the Adventureland (Indy) Fruit Cart and sold them in the plastic army canteens... but the green canteens would start to turn WHITE because of all of the sugar in the punch. That punch had a LOT of sugar... so bad for you, but so good!

Raven
02-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks Burnt Toast! The bacon wrapped asparagus, I am assuming steam the asparagus before putting it on the grill. Thanks!

D15
02-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Yum!! Burnt Toast, thank you so much for the recipes and tips! Having my own chicken skewer at home might just be a bit of heaven :D

Burnt Toast
02-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks Burnt Toast! The bacon wrapped asparagus, I am assuming steam the asparagus before putting it on the grill. Thanks!

Yup! Steam those too, then they won't be rock hard on the grill. :D

Krisseee2
02-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Bengal BBQ Sauces

NOTE: These were the sauce recipes BEFORE they were outsourced out (ie N.O. Main Kitchen no longer making them) back in the 90s when I worked at the BBQ.

ok sooo I've decided to try your's. i'll be doing it this weekend for sure :) Thanks again for your help.

PoomShanka
02-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Sugar overload? No wonder I loved the Jungle Punch! :D I would have enjoyed chugging a white canteen.

june1st1997
02-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Thank you for the post Burnt Toast! Marinated the chicken last night and cooked it this AM. Made teh sauce too. Yummy!

My question is: Can you please offer some guidance on steaming the chicken? I made my on the grill and the breasts are over cooked (it was a busy morning and I forgot I was grilling). Still yummy and my 2 yr old gobbled it up. I did thighs for her and they are still moist, but the white meat for DH and me is a wee bit hard.

Thanks again for the recipe. We had lunch today listening to the Tiki Room. It was great!

Bicky
02-19-2009, 01:02 PM
What's the best way to prepare the beef? Is that marinated as well, or is it just cooked with the sauce? Thanks to a birthday delivery of Dole Whip Mix I might be well on my way to recreating my Perfect Disneyland Snack of Banyan Beef Skewer and Dole Float, and that is too awesome for words.

leota's necklace:
where did you find the dole whip mix?!?! Now this is the one thing I crave from dl on a daily basis! I can scarf down dozens of those when I'm there... and it would help get me by until november!

kaybee2
02-19-2009, 03:03 PM
leota's necklace:
where did you find the dole whip mix?!?! Now this is the one thing I crave from dl on a daily basis! I can scarf down dozens of those when I'm there... and it would help get me by until november!

We just returned from a short trip to DL. I was SO bummed when they closed the park early on Monday... I went to get my first/only Dole Whip of the trip at ~7 and they were CLOSED. NNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!

Seeing this post, I couldn't wait for anyone else to answer. A quick Google on "Dole Whip Mix" turned up the following link:
http://www.uec-hawaii.com/associateRICKY.html

I just ordered two bags! Note: there is another link without the "associateRicky" if you Google, but that link has a buy one/free shipping on second bag.

Now I can't wait for it to get here!!

D15
02-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Don't forget the video instructions (http://www.distantcreations.com/insidethemagic/dolewhip/) to making your own Dole Whip, just in case! :p

kaybee2
03-10-2009, 07:27 PM
A Happy Ending follow up to my Dole Whip post!

I ordered the Dole Whip (mentioned in previous post), it arrived here 2-3 days later (shipped priority mail from HI to CA). Was so excited, DD and I prepped Bengal BBQ skewers - chicken, beef and bacon-wrapped asparagus - for an Adventureland dinner last weekend.

The skewers were delicious! Thanks to Burnttoast for the recipes!

Sadly, I used our Donvier ice cream maker, and didn't stir the Dole Whip mix enough. It didn't freeze. I thought it needed time to firm up, but it needed the constant stirring to incorporate the air. Rather than waste precious Dole Whip mix (yes, I *am* that sick!!), I spent ~$35 on a Cuisinart ice cream maker from amazon.com that arrived late last week.

Finally, tonight, the moment of truth. We tried the new ice cream maker.

IT WAS SO GOOD!

We all ate our Dole Whip and DH pulled up a YouTube video of the Tiki Room. For a few minutes, I was there.

:) I think I will have happy dreams tonight!!

Burnt Toast
03-12-2009, 05:04 PM
You folks are funny... I'm glad I could help!

As for steaming the chicken... You know, honestly I don't know of a good way to do it. We have one of those industrial steamers in the back kitchen at the BBQ, so we used those. I don't really know (I'm not much of a cook) how your average household would be able to do it to be quite honest.