PDA

View Full Version : What Restaurant Experience Would YOU Design For Disneyland?!?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ladodgerjon
02-10-2009, 08:03 AM
Someone mentioned that the new diesel fuel blend currently used to power the DLR trains smelled like french fries... or Chinese food...

The comment made me think that I miss the McDonald's fry stand...

...AND...

wouldn't a Chinese restaurant be a GREAT addition to Disneyland?!? Maybe in a tiny nook nestled on West Street on Main Street... or in a bend of the river in Frontierland?

Walt and the Imagineers at one point envisioned a Chinese restaurant as a part of the "International Street" expansion off Main Street (probably about where the rear portion of the Star Tours show building now sits). If memory serves, A Confucious audio-animatronic figure would have been the centerpiece of the dining experience...

Sooo... what other sorts of restaurant experiences would YOU like to see at Disneyland (provided budget and space are not limiting factors)???

Jim Dear and Darling
02-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Isn't there a Chinese Restaurant in DCA? I think I ate there once when it first opened and it wasn't very good. I'd love to see a good Chinese food restaurant in DL though.

But for the record, I also miss the fry stand. :)

Drince88
02-10-2009, 08:53 AM
There's a set of windows for a Chinese Restaurant in DCA where they do the Food & Wine festival special things out of - but I'm not sure it's still operated.

I hope they don't copy the Tomorrowland Noodle Terrace from MK in WDW - or if they do they copy the FIRST version of the menu (with good pad thai) and not the current version.

Niwel
02-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Animator's Palate/House of Mouse

Why they have yet to build this, I have no idea.

cstephens
02-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Isn't there a Chinese Restaurant in DCA?

There actually used to be two. Lucky Fortune Cookery was in the wharf area, and they were a sort of hybrid Chinese/Japanese place. They were actually quite good in the beginning, but then they were rarely open and then changed the menu, and it was icky. Hollywood and Dine (in the Hollywood Backlot area) used to be a food court, and they had a Chinese food section, but the food was pretty bad, worse than mall food court stuff.

Sooo... what other sorts of restaurant experiences would YOU like to see at Disneyland (provided budget and space are not limiting factors)???

Budget, space and rights issues not being limiting factors, I'd want Milliways in Tomorrowland.

olegc
02-10-2009, 10:59 AM
There actually used to be two. Lucky Fortune Cookery was in the wharf area, and they were a sort of hybrid Chinese/Japanese place. They were actually quite good in the beginning, but then they were rarely open and then changed the menu, and it was icky. Hollywood and Dine (in the Hollywood Backlot area) used to be a food court, and they had a Chinese food section, but the food was pretty bad, worse than mall food court stuff..

and rumor has it that Cucina Cucamonga will move to the Lucky Fortune windows and expand their menu, and some sort of Chinese fast food will be offered where Cucina used to be.

olegc
02-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Animator's Palate/House of Mouse

Why they have yet to build this, I have no idea.

I agree - what better place than Fantasyland to put this type of restaurant. In fact I sent an email to Cast member Matt when he was around that Animator's Palate should be built at the very beginning of the parade route across from Small World. There is nothing nearby that can feed large numbers with a sit-down location (outside in Toontown does not count). Right now it's simply overflow for lines and a part of the lagoon. You could build it high, with windows facing the parade route - and can you imagine the extra $$ they'd receive during fireworks or holiday displays? might even decide to do a semi-private balcony for the desert viewing. The only issue here would be that anything above ground level would let you see a little bit into the backstage area behind Toontown.

Of course, as I expected, I go the usual "we can't support ideas through email" but we can dream, can't we?

R44kids2
02-10-2009, 03:21 PM
I think a great addition to either Frontier land or maybe even Main Street would be a Cracker Barrel Restaurant. It is already Olde Time themed and the food is pretty good at reasonable prices. The little store that they all have in front of them would bring in lots of bucks too. Might need to make the store a little more "Disney" but that would not be hard. They could put it where "Natures Wonderland" used to be then it could it even have river front dining. Is that a Friday night fish fry I smell?

illnevergrowup
02-10-2009, 05:42 PM
I've always hoped that they would bring back some type of dinner-and-a-show experience; similar to the one they used to have at the Oasis in Adventureland. I have always thought that the Plaza Pavilion would have been a good choice for a vaudeville show, or a roaring 20's show. Something that would entertain and still be in the Main Street theme. Maybe serve some real home-cooking style meals (with less fat than in the 20's and more vegetarian choices, though). And if they brought back the restaurant and show at the Oasis, there could be international cuisine to fit the Adventureland theme. Of course, they couldn't go wrong with some great Italian food and have a Lady and the Tramp themed restaurant. Yum.

Bytebear
02-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Two words: Tahitian Terrace

Andrew
02-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Mexican food that doesn't suck.

Bytebear
02-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Mexican food that doesn't suck.

I love Rancho del Zocolo.

olegc
02-10-2009, 06:22 PM
I love Rancho del Zocolo.

depends on the day for me. Sometimes it's great. and sometimes I wonder if Taco Bell rejects got jobs there.

olegc
02-10-2009, 06:26 PM
I've always hoped that they would bring back some type of dinner-and-a-show experience; similar to the one they used to have at the Oasis in Adventureland. I have always thought that the Plaza Pavilion would have been a good choice for a vaudeville show, or a roaring 20's show. Something that would entertain and still be in the Main Street theme. Maybe serve some real home-cooking style meals (with less fat than in the 20's and more vegetarian choices, though). And if they brought back the restaurant and show at the Oasis, there could be international cuisine to fit the Adventureland theme. Of course, they couldn't go wrong with some great Italian food and have a Lady and the Tramp themed restaurant. Yum.

it sounds great but it seems that DLR has been going away from a combined experience for some time now. Maybe it's because the costs are harder to pinpoint (is it food service or entertainment that takes this hit). as with anythin in a modern Disney theme park - it comes down to the margin and how much can each thing that is done in the park justify itself - so restaurants and ODVs only sell food, and entertainment only does shows. I know - Golden Horshoe is a little bit of a throw back - but not like it uses to be in the days of Slue Foot Sue and Wally Boag.

Foodie
02-10-2009, 06:56 PM
And if they brought back the restaurant and show at the Oasis, there could be international cuisine to fit the Adventureland theme.

What if they kept the Aladdin theme and went with a Middle Eastern/Mediterranean menu? That might be fun.

I also agree with more vegetarian options, in general, and some more options without dairy, but not necessarily vegetarian.

As for dining options, I'd love for there to be a salad bar/sandwich bar. It's not fancy, but sometimes it just hits the spot. :)

lbrackjo
02-10-2009, 07:26 PM
How about this wild idea---The River Belle, but with real plates and silverware. Eco-friendly, too.

nursechrissy32
02-10-2009, 07:45 PM
What about in that loading area of the old people mover, to turn it into a restaurant with all windows, sort of like a spinning space needle, but does not turn, so poor sickies like me wont get sick! haha.

Or what about dinner in Walts apartment?

Ok, something realistic......

BBQ..........oh yes, this is on its way! Im having a hard time finding something that I dont already LOVE! hehe

ScottC4746
02-11-2009, 04:00 AM
I would get rid of River Belle Terrace as it is now and keep the name but do down home southern soul food. There is no catfish, greens, blackeyed peas, etc etc in the park.

ScottC4746
02-11-2009, 04:05 AM
I think a great addition to either Frontier land or maybe even Main Street would be a Cracker Barrel Restaurant. It is already Olde Time themed and the food is pretty good at reasonable prices. The little store that they all have in front of them would bring in lots of bucks too. Might need to make the store a little more "Disney" but that would not be hard. They could put it where "Natures Wonderland" used to be then it could it even have river front dining. Is that a Friday night fish fry I smell?
I love Cracker Barrel but NO CHAINS...leave that for Six Flags.
Their park in Houston, Astroworld, may it rest in peace now bulldozed, had three local chains and it came across as, here you do it we can't manage good restaurants.
ALL Disney restaurants, in my own humble opinion, are amazing with quality, save the coffee served elsewhere but Main Street Bakery.

stan4d_steph
02-11-2009, 04:35 AM
I love Rancho del Zocolo.Have you ever gotten the chicken tortilla soup? World's smallest serving, and there was no chicken in it. Ridiculous.

Malcon10t
02-11-2009, 05:37 AM
I also agree with more vegetarian options, in general, and some more options without dairy, but not necessarily vegetarian.

As for dining options, I'd love for there to be a salad bar/sandwich bar. It's not fancy, but sometimes it just hits the spot. :)They have already gotten rid of many of the "junk food" restaurants, and Disneyland already has more Vegetarian options than most parks.

As for the Salad/Sanwich bar, try Riverbelle! When they pulled out all the good food (BBA chicken, ribs, stew bowls, corn bread), thats what they put in.

Foodie
02-11-2009, 05:52 AM
They have already gotten rid of many of the "junk food" restaurants, and Disneyland already has more Vegetarian options than most parks.

As for the Salad/Sanwich bar, try Riverbelle! When they pulled out all the good food (BBA chicken, ribs, stew bowls, corn bread), thats what they put in.

I have tried Riverbelle, and it's fine, but I was thinking some sort of make-your-own sandwich/salad place. Like an upscale Subway, maybe, but better quality stuff.

Bytebear
02-11-2009, 07:43 AM
Have you ever gotten the chicken tortilla soup? World's smallest serving, and there was no chicken in it. Ridiculous.

No, and maybe that's why I like Rancho. I almost always get the chicken Burrito. I used to get the tostada salad, but the CMs don't seem to know how to make it right anymore. My partner and his mom seem to always get the enchiladas or carne asada, and we have not ever been disappointed. I will keep a look out for the soup next time. I still think that restaurant is the best bang for your buck.

Anyway, back to topic, I would love a really decent burger place. All the burgers in the park are identical now, and Hungry Bear had its own chef who could change things up a little. I miss that.

olegc
02-11-2009, 07:53 AM
I have tried Riverbelle, and it's fine, but I was thinking some sort of make-your-own sandwich/salad place. Like an upscale Subway, maybe, but better quality stuff.

anything "make your own" would be relegated to a Buffet, which means higher prices. You more than likely will not see anything super healthy AND priced right AND extremely flexible in service. Not in the park's best interest financially..

Niwel
02-11-2009, 09:11 AM

Like Earl of Sandwich at WDW DTD?