PDA

View Full Version : Rumor - Astro Orbiter on way out

olegc
02-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Another site claimed the plan is in place to remove Astro Orbiter from the front of Tomorrowland due to costs of maintenance, etc. While I don't ride it much at all, and I think it should have never moved from the top of People Mover building, taking another attraction away from Tomorrowland is very odd. I remember reading discussions on several sites that Tony's ideas were to possibly place it back where it came from, and opening up the walkway (which was a good thing) as well as coming back to the idea of the "weenie".

However, if they don't replace it, that means fewer choices for guests.

Very odd... but I guess they can use the economy as an excuse.

foolishmortal
02-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Another site claimed the plan is in place to remove Astro Orbiter from the front of Tomorrowland due to costs of maintenance, etc. While I don't ride it much at all, and I think it should have never moved from the top of People Mover building, taking another attraction away from Tomorrowland is very odd. I remember reading discussions on several sites that Tony's ideas were to possibly place it back where it came from, and opening up the walkway (which was a good thing) as well as coming back to the idea of the "weenie".

However, if they don't replace it, that means fewer choices for guests.

Very odd... but I guess they can use the economy as an excuse.

OMG I hope not! that is my DH's and kids most favorite ride! Dh has tons of stuff from his childhood featureing that thing!
fist ride he ever rode and his kids too.

I do wish it was back on top of the platform was a lot more fun up there, plus great views of the park!

Bytebear
02-06-2009, 09:34 AM
I would love them to move it back to the top of the People Mover platform, but if it's a mantainance move, I doubt they will, at least not until they do a full refurb of the land (which should include bringing back the people mover). I love the idea of an elevated gantry that takes you to the launch pad. But, I am ok with them taking it out temporarily, to make room in that walkway. It is so crowded there. They can move that big water marble over there instead, or bring back the World Clock. I always thought Tomorrowland encroached too much into Main Street anyway, and I think the Orbiter blocks a nice view into Tomorrowland.

rokketride
02-06-2009, 02:20 PM
I always thought Tomorrowland encroached too much into Main Street anyway, and I think the Orbiter blocks a nice view into Tomorrowland.
Agreed. Gotta have the weenie sightline.

dznyphreak
02-06-2009, 03:16 PM
I think the problem with moving it back to the top of the People Mover platform is that the Astro Orbiter weighs too much. The original rockets were much lighter.