PDA

View Full Version : Foxes in Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2

olegc
02-04-2009, 06:18 AM
no, I'm not talking about women..

Last night my son and I were walking out of the park after closing, about 8:05, from NOS through Frontierland. Then, from behind the ODV permanent cart in the middle of the land came an animal - small, dog's nose, pointy ears - AND RED! After staring at us for a couple of seconds he darted across the walkway to the bushes near the Mark Twain dock. I know about the ducks, cats, sometimes mice, etc. at the park - but it's the first time I saw a fox. Not a cat - since the nose was long.

Anyone else ever see this?

Tink Collector
02-04-2009, 06:48 AM
I have never seen a foxat Disneyland. However I do have a couple of ideas. I live in the desert and have lots of desert wild life around me. The coyote's out here are mostly tan. Occasionaly you do see them with a red tint, or even a darker brown.
I have a very dear elderly friend that lives off of State College, in Anaheim that feeds feral cats. It is not uncommon for her to have twenty cats in her yard waiting for food. She has had a problem with coyotes coming into her yard and attacking the cats.
Coyote's will lock thier eyes into yours, they are a very bold creature. However, the desert fox stays pretty well hidden, and when ever I have spotted one it is always running away.
I have other friends and family in the DLR area, Orange, Anaheim, Santa Ana, and yes even in your hometown of Irvine, that spot coyotes regularly.
The other idea I had when I read your thread, was that possibly someone smuggled a dog into the park, and it got loose.:D

ryanvalle
02-04-2009, 06:52 AM
maybe its an animatronic prototype of bolt :)

imagineers panicked when you saw it so they hit the emergency button where the "fox" just darted off

hehe :)

houseofmouse
02-04-2009, 07:02 AM
Between the ducks, cats and mice, do you blame a fox for trying his luck at Disneyland. If it was small it was a fox. If it was the size of a dog probably a coyote but they are pretty shy here in CO so I doubt it.

Maybe he wanted to ride Haunted Mansion. :p

anniedg
02-04-2009, 08:17 AM
I live in central Denver and we have quite a few foxes in our neighborhood and a few years ago I saw a coyote at a botanical gardens a few blocks away - I can believe they might have made their way to Disneyland.

kelli1rose
02-04-2009, 08:29 AM
I live 17 minutes away from Disneyland and I regularly see coyotes in our neighborhood. The recent fires burnt a major canyon, so I am not surprised to hear of wild animals like foxes at Disneyland.

The old man
02-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Last night my son and I were walking out of the park after closing, about 8:05, from NOS through Frontierland.

This was the shocking part to me. DL closes at 8pm! I know it's the middle of the week and off season, but still.

newhdplayer
02-04-2009, 11:10 AM
When I was growing up, "Foxes" were hot chicks, not Vulpes Genus critters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MDCbIhTa_w

TikiGeek
02-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Years ago we were talking to Rod Miller at the piano at Coke Corner shortly after an 11:00 close - I heard a noise in the big tree just above us - I looked up and saw a possum climbing off the roof onto the big tree. I think there are a lot of critters that come out when the park closes.

olegc
02-04-2009, 02:38 PM
When I was growing up, "Foxes" were hot chicks, not Vulpes Genus critters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MDCbIhTa_w

where's steve martin and dan akroyd when you need 2 swinging guys looking for foxes..

and Sweet needs more energy on stage. Sheesh!

VickiC
02-04-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm also pretty sure it was a small, possibly immature coyote you saw. They can definitley have red coats. California's native foxes are rare, gray and are not usually seen in urban areas.

olegc
02-04-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm also pretty sure it was a small, possibly immature coyote you saw. They can definitley have red coats. California's native foxes are rare, gray and are not usually seen in urban areas.

either way - it wasn't in a larger brush area - it was right in the dang center of Frontierland across from Golden Horseshoe. Must have been pretty hungry...

foolishmortal
02-04-2009, 02:56 PM
it's very likely that you saw a fox. If there are small animals such as ducks, cats, mice to eat a fox can live very well there. They need little room to hide and just a steady source of food and water.

We have tons of them around our home and my parents. I have spotted some in neighborhoods in Fresno when working on weddings Early in the morning hours. The ones around the farm and at mom's are small ,reddish coat and have fat tails. We see them all the time by our pond, they like the wild ducks that live there.

If they get used to people and noise they will become braver and you'll see them more often.
The fires may have burned up their hiding places and made food hard to find so like any animal it will keep roaming till it finds a nice home and good food source. What better place to live then DL!;)

AS for Coyotes keep an eye on them, they do eat small animals(cats ,dogs) and can even view small kids as food. Generally they just run away, but they can not always be trusted to do that.
We have a lot of them on the farm, one even came in the yard once in broad daylight and tried to get my DD (who was 3 at the time)playing in her sand box.:eek: Lucky we have McNabbs(cattle dogs) and they attacked it while I picked her up and got in the house. Very scary, we now have a 8ft fence around the whole yard.
Needless to say a her dad and uncles went out hunting for that one.

I think it's cool if a little fox is living at DL! I'm sure the ducks and cats think otherwise.:p

Now I just had to look them up. According to CA department of fish and game Red foxs(large ones) were intorduced to CA a little before and after ww1 for fur and hunting. They are common in the Orange/LA counties and have spread up to the San. Fransisco areas. They are a danger to native foxs and animals in CA. They Serria Nevada Red fox is rare and live in heavy forested areas.

So that may explain a Fox at DL.(all joking aside)

Malcon10t
02-04-2009, 03:21 PM
AS for Coyotes keep an eye on them, they do eat small animals(cats ,dogs) and can even view small kids as food. Generally they just run away, but they can not always be trusted to do that.I have to agree, it is more likely a fox. If it is a coyote, Disneyland will have a real problem on their hands.

Olec, here is a pic of a small kit fox (http://museum.utep.edu/chih/theland/animals/mammals/vulpesmac.jpeg). Here is a pic of a small coyote (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20080129/450coyote-discovery_park_A.jpg). Maybe you can guess?

olegc
02-04-2009, 03:39 PM
I have to agree, it is more likely a fox. If it is a coyote, Disneyland will have a real problem on their hands.

Olec, here is a pic of a small kit fox (http://museum.utep.edu/chih/theland/animals/mammals/vulpesmac.jpeg). Here is a pic of a small coyote (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20080129/450coyote-discovery_park_A.jpg). Maybe you can guess?

my son says it was between the two pics - but closer to the fox. My guess is the darkness (remember, Frontierland is pretty dark) and the speed of run made it hard to really get an accurate look. But - the tail was a dead giveaway it was definitely not a cat. The legs were short too - which makes me think it was fox and not coyote (who I had experience with in the early mornings growing up in the hills of Sherman Oaks, CA).

foolishmortal
02-04-2009, 03:54 PM
my son says it was between the two pics - but closer to the fox. My guess is the darkness (remember, Frontierland is pretty dark) and the speed of run made it hard to really get an accurate look. But - the tail was a dead giveaway it was definitely not a cat. The legs were short too - which makes me think it was fox and not coyote (who I had experience with in the early mornings growing up in the hills of Sherman Oaks, CA).

CA has way too many Coyotes now. I used to see only a few as a kid(near clovis) but now we see tons of them just trotting by as if people are to be ignored!

I've lost lots of poor cats and even a couple of dogs to those things. But they at least keep the nasty brown ground squirrels under control. Now if they would eat a few more cotton tails, I love them.
The bunnies ate over 60 of our almond trees last year! they were 3yrs old and good size, they ate the bark off them.:mad: Darn bunnies. Hummm maybe DL needs some bunnies to go with the fox......;):p

Bytebear
02-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Was the fox with a cat, talking to a small wooden boy? I think I saw him in Fantasyland.

K & S
02-04-2009, 05:03 PM

Actually the Red Fox is common in Southern California, we've seen them around our neighborhood. They're cute too.

http://www.socalcamping.com/fieldguide/mammal/redfox.html

K & S
02-04-2009, 05:07 PM
CA has way too many Coyotes now. I used to see only a few as a kid(near clovis) but now we see tons of them just trotting by as if people are to be ignored!

I've lost lots of poor cats and even a couple of dogs to those things. But they at least keep the nasty brown ground squirrels under control. Now if they would eat a few more cotton tails, I love them.
The bunnies ate over 60 of our almond trees last year! they were 3yrs old and good size, they ate the bark off them.:mad: Darn bunnies. Hummm maybe DL needs some bunnies to go with the fox......;):p

Thumper!!! :eek:

I'm supporting a family of squirrels who reside in the pine tree in my yard.

Bytebear
02-04-2009, 05:27 PM
I never realized how many bunnies we have in our neighborhood, until one night while taking a walk, there were literally hundreds of bunnies randomly scattered about a soccer field. It was a little creepy.

foolishmortal
02-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Oh they are cute and fuzzy till they eat tons of nuts off the Almond trees, or eat my Almond trees!:eek:;)they can go eat the grass in my yard instead.:D

I like the cute red squirrels, but the ground squirrels are nasty with fleas and diseases! EWWW.
Just 2 of them can strip a tree bare in 2 days!

I don't mind sharing, just not the whole tree!;)

It's like wild Kingdom out here. We have Fox's, coyotes, rabbits (a tad too many), ground squirrels, hawks , falcons(they are the new guys), buzzards, 2 road runners (have no idea how they got here), lots of snakes,wild dogs/cats, quail, pheasants, tweety birds. Nasty crows who like nothing better then to peck the green Almonds off the trees and THEN not eat them????:confused: have no idea why they do that. Millions of tiny birds. Ducks and geese in the irrigation pond. Cranes.

It's fun to see what lands here next. Had a bald Eagle try to make a nest in the mulberry tree 2 days ago, cool, but kind of happy when it decided not to live here. The fish and game would prob. make me leave my home till the babies hatched!;)

We have pet bunnies for 4-H, they eat hay and carrots!

the bunnies were cool till there was too many bunnies and they ate the trees, and the drip lines. Generally they are fun to watch, and the hawks and coyotes keep the numbers to low levels. LAst year was too warm and we had bunny explosion! Poor hawks were so fat they could even fly! Even the fox's and coyotes were all please not another bite!
We had so many the dog just stopped trying to catch them, and let them just hop by his nose. DD counted 48 in just the side yard one day!:eek:
lucky that most moved on when the food ran out.

Now they are back to normal after this winter.

AVP
02-04-2009, 05:35 PM
I never realized how many bunnies we have in our neighborhood, until one night while taking a walk, there were literally hundreds of bunnies randomly scattered about a soccer field. It was a little creepy.There's a neighborhood in Huntington Beach that is so overrun with them that the residents have to rabbit-proof their yards. A friend once lived there, and it was incredible how much damage the adorable fluffy critters could cause.

AVP

adriennek
02-04-2009, 05:42 PM
There's a neighborhood in Huntington Beach that is so overrun with them that the residents have to rabbit-proof their yards. A friend once lived there, and it was incredible how much damage the adorable fluffy critters could cause.

We can't have a garden without bunny proofing it. You know that thing about bunnies and carrots? Yeah, our carrots couldn't grow at all because the dang things kept eating the itty bitty green stems every time they popped up. :( They're soooo cute when we see them in the bushes around the neighborhood but not so much in my backyard. :mad:

We also have Coyotes. I've seen them run by my back fence and jogging down the middle of our street.

I have nothing to add about critters at Disneyland, though.

Adrienne

foolishmortal
02-04-2009, 05:43 PM
I never realized how many bunnies we have in our neighborhood, until one night while taking a walk, there were literally hundreds of bunnies randomly scattered about a soccer field. It was a little creepy.

Don't you just love it when they stare at you with the little beady eyes.;)They are creepy. People forget they are rodents, just fuzzy ones.

I raised bunnies in 4-H , they are cute till they take a chunk out of your finger! they can get really really mean. DD is finding that out the hard way. Her pet lion head has taken about 10 bites out of her hand. SHe is not too happy with Bunny Boo right now.
SHe likes her meat pin bunnies better, if they bite her she tills them she is going to eat them first.:rolleyes:

I haven't seen rabbit in the reg. markets for a long time. Just in local maet markets.(that's who buys the 4-H kids rabbits)

Yes, people rasie rabbits for food. They are like chickens, taste good, and is extreamly healthy for people how have heart trouble and people who have a hard time digesting meats. It's all white meat to.

Sorry if this freaks anyone out,we're farmers so none of this bothers us.
We have pets, then we have food.

I have nothing against poeple who like squirrls or bunnies in thier yards! I like them too, just not so many.

foolishmortal
02-04-2009, 05:46 PM
We can't have a garden without bunny proofing it. You know that thing about bunnies and carrots? Yeah, our carrots couldn't grow at all because the dang things kept eating the itty bitty green stems every time they popped up. :( They're soooo cute when we see them in the bushes around the neighborhood but not so much in my backyard. :mad:

We also have Coyotes. I've seen them run by my back fence and jogging down the middle of our street.

I have nothing to add about critters at Disneyland, though.

Adrienne

OHHH! put chicken wire around anything you plant!!! they love bark, esp new grapes!!!

Last year they cost us over 10,000 in replacing trees and chewed up drip lines. They had help on the drip line from the Coyotes, the pups like to chew on the lines too.