PDA

View Full Version : Another DTD store to close? [Illuminations]

Pages : [1] 2

mckygirl99
01-28-2009, 03:47 PM
I just received an email from Illuminations that they have decided to close all their retail stores. Starting tomorrow they will begin sell off their inventory. I guess this would include the DTD location. Has anyone else heard about this? I love that store!

houseofmouse
01-29-2009, 06:57 AM
The economy strikes again!!

What is that store? I am not familiar with it.

spectromen
01-29-2009, 07:21 AM
That's what I call a tragedy. They chose to close all of them, but only 1 of their Yankee Candle stores? A mixed balance of closures would've been more appropriate. So sad.

DisneyFanKat
01-29-2009, 08:50 AM
The economy strikes again!!

What is that store? I am not familiar with it.

It's pretty and yummy smelling candle stuff. IMO, their prices really aren't all that bad for how nice their stuff looks.

I'm gonna miss that store! I might have to look into how much time the store has left - hopefully I can check it out again before it's gone!

stan4d_steph
01-29-2009, 09:06 AM
I don't like Yankee Candle. They have those ugly labels on the candles. Illuminations came in nice packaging that you wouldn't mind having out in public view. I also liked the scents better. Sorry to hear they're closing.

Suzy64
01-29-2009, 09:20 AM
I love Illumination candles. I had gone there last month
and bought some for myself and my mom while in DTD.
They will be missed :crying:

avalosn
01-29-2009, 09:24 AM
I guess I am in the minority here. I was just telling my boyfriend last week how pointless that store is. To me, a candle is a candle? :confused::confused::confused:

Niwel
01-29-2009, 09:37 AM
That's one of my favorite stores. :crying:

I always enjoy going there when I'm walking around DTD and it is cold out -- the candle scents and warmth make it very appealing.

I think most of my candles are from there (we have a yummy pink grapefruit one in our living room).

cstephens
01-29-2009, 10:11 AM
I guess I am in the minority here. I was just telling my boyfriend last week how pointless that store is. To me, a candle is a candle? :confused::confused::confused:

I think that sentiment is true for people who aren't into candles. I like some scented candles, though I usually found Illuminations over-scented for my general comfort. I could barely walk past a Yankee Candle without holding my breath.

Some people think tea is just tea. I happen to really like tea, so I can appreciate the different kinds and flavors and brands.

Bolivar
01-29-2009, 12:14 PM
A few years ago (ok, likely close to eight or nine years ago), on a trip to Hawaii, the plane was full of employees from Illuminations. They were having some kind of corporate retreat and were flying everyone to Hawaii for it. Well I don't know if it was everyone or certain employees or what.

houseofmouse
01-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Wow. I guess I did not pay much attention to that store in DTD. I like candles but usually am too cheap to spend much and generally if they burn too long in my house I get a headache.
But it is sad now that more people are going to be out of a job and thus the economy continues it's decline.:crying:

TTFN92
01-29-2009, 12:55 PM
We have one at our mall and I've gone in it a couple of times and both times I've wondered how they stay in business. Their stuff was so expensive. I'm not surprised it didn't survive.

Wildwill
01-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Oh wow, that's a bummer. One of our favorite stores.

Bytebear
01-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Mine too. Although their prices did seem to get higher over the years. Between that and Dept. 56 closing, I don't know if I have any reason to shop Downtown Disney anymore.

mckygirl99
01-29-2009, 02:43 PM
I don't like Yankee Candle. They have those ugly labels on the candles. Illuminations came in nice packaging that you wouldn't mind having out in public view. I also liked the scents better. Sorry to hear they're closing.

I agree! I also liked them better than Party Lite, which is way more expensive. I am going to go down there and stock up. There is one in the Brea mall as well. I am going to miss the ghost candles that changed colors for Halloween. My kids loved those!

codewoman
01-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Closure makes no difference to me. I'm pretty sensitive to anything scented so decorator candles are out for me. I've given up magazine subscriptions because of the scented inserts. We have all unscented or low scent cosmetics and cleaning products in my home. Any more than one or two scented candles burning at a friend's home would send me out the door sneezing.

bananaman20
01-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Okay, you are at Disneyland, and you are concerned that a CANDLE store is closing?

Niwel
01-30-2009, 03:00 PM
I get bummed when anything closes. I'm sentimental like that.

Soggydoughnuts
01-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Illuminations??!!

NO!

I loved this store... sometimes I would just travel from my hometown just to buy some of these, what a let down.

-Donuts

bananaman20
01-30-2009, 09:57 PM
I get bummed when anything closes. I'm sentimental like that.

But it's CANDLES. Can't you just drive 5 minutes to the nearest Wal-Mart and buy some for like 10 cents each??

cstephens
01-30-2009, 10:03 PM
But it's CANDLES. Can't you just drive 5 minutes to the nearest Wal-Mart and buy some for like 10 cents each??

I did mention previously that someone who's not into candles won't get it, that there are differences in candles from a particular brand. The candles you get at Walmart and Target aren't going to be the same as the ones you get at Illuminations, the same way that the tea you get at Walmart isn't going to be the same as you get from a high-end tea store.

And for some people, there's nothing else but Disneyland. For others, Downtown Disney is part of the entire Disneyland Resort experience. If it doesn't matter to you that Illuminations is closing (and it doesn't matter that much to me, other than I'm concerned about another retailer closing shop overall), that's fine, but no need to ridicule someone who does have a feeling about it.

bananaman20
01-30-2009, 10:12 PM
If it doesn't matter to you that Illuminations is closing (and it doesn't matter that much to me, other than I'm concerned about another retailer closing shop overall), that's fine, but no need to ridicule someone who does have a feeling about it.

Sorry. I know how it feels to be ridiculed about stuff I like. People make fun of me all the time for my love of Disneyland. I hope that a really cool store comes in and takes its place in DTD so that it doesn't stay empty because of the horrible economy :(

Soggydoughnuts
01-30-2009, 10:28 PM

Why do you have to be so rude... Illuminations for me was something that I loved passionately. How would you like it if I ridiculed something you loved?

-Donuts

PhiSigDuchessCV
01-30-2009, 11:29 PM
There is definitely a difference in the candles from a candle store, such as Illuminations, and a Walmart/Target/Kmart/whatever other store. First off is what the candle is made of - there's parrafin wax, beeswax, etc. Some, such as a Party Lite candle and some of the Illumination candles, liquify so it all burns down. This is more bang for the buck. The higher end candles truly tend to smell like the scent they say they do - I've picked up cheaper candles and thought what the heck is this supposed to smell like. There is a difference in wicks and if they smoke a lot, just a little, or not really at all. The "boutique" candles (to borrow from a Glade commercial) also tend to be dripless which is a big plus.

Can you tell I'm a fan of candles? I love the Party Lite candles and tend to buy from them but I guess I'll have to run over to Illuminations to see how much of a deal anything is.

torquedork
01-31-2009, 07:48 AM
Not only Illumation is going, but Club Libby Lu is also going bye, bye