PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to the Disney Charm?

Pages : [1] 2 3

ScottC4746
01-26-2009, 07:39 PM
With all these cuts in entertainment what next?
I noticed the NO Square by the train station the plants looked neglected
I noticed paint starting to wear off around the park
I noticed the Disney charm from Cast Members is falling
I have heard of all the entertainment cuts
My last visit I heard another guest say "Walt would turn over in his grave if he saw the park today".
Didn't we see all this before and they realized the changes were not popular...now I hear the Bank of Main Street is going to be drastically changed.

9volt
01-26-2009, 07:59 PM
...now I hear the Bank of Main Street is going to be drastically changed.

Changed how?

Andrew
01-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Changed how?
Here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=dl090126xx#news1)

The old man
01-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Sound like, with the economy, and the 50th a fading memory we may be returning to the Pressler-style maintenance.

Bytebear
01-27-2009, 08:35 AM
With all these cuts in entertainment what next?
I noticed the NO Square by the train station the plants looked neglected
I noticed paint starting to wear off around the park
I noticed the Disney charm from Cast Members is falling
I have heard of all the entertainment cuts
My last visit I heard another guest say "Walt would turn over in his grave if he saw the park today".
Didn't we see all this before and they realized the changes were not popular...now I hear the Bank of Main Street is going to be drastically changed.

Well, it is the off season, and that has a lot to do with it. Plants do react to cold weather, and believe it or not, even in Sunny Southern California, some plants do hybernate. Basically all the flowers you see now are freaking out, because they are not supposed to be blooming this time of year.

Paint has been an issue ever since the dark days of Paul Pressler, and they don't do a nightly touchup like they used to. Now they do a scheduled maintenance by area, so if you see an area worn down, it's probably because it isn't time for the refurb yet.

As for entertainment, ever since the 50th anniversary, Disneyland has been overblown by entertainment, and you are just used to it. There was a time when you only had fireworks in the Summer, and even then sometimes only on weekends or holidays. In the off season, there was essentially no entertainment whatsoever. And they even once closed the entire park one day a week. Count your blessings.

Main Street Bank hasn't been a bank for years, and is now the AP processing office. The outside facade will not change. It will soon be turned into the Disney Gallery replacing the temporary gallery at the exit to the Opera House, which was put in place when the Dream Suite was created. I think it's a fine addition, and a great location.

foolishmortal
01-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Sound like, with the economy, and the 50th a fading memory we may be returning to the Pressler-style maintenance.

I hope not, it looked really bad before the 50th.

I do like the gallery having a new home. Sad at Walt's offices being taken out.

Glad they will have a nice home in DCA.

(Wonder what will happen to the tiles murals at DCA?)

I wish they went back to the nightly touch ups.

ScottC4746
01-27-2009, 10:08 AM
We we will have to wait and see. My pass expires in July and we will have to wait and see.

bassett1976
01-27-2009, 11:52 AM
I have noticed some issues with the bathrooms that were not there before- stuff all over the floors, the counters dirty, overfilled, unflushed toilets...I have had an annual pass for eight years and on any given trip will see one or two people cleaning the bathrooms. In the past three trips I have made, I have not seen anyone.

Not that I will stop going anytime soon! ~ Mrs. Bassett

Koala Gurl
01-27-2009, 12:20 PM

As for entertainment, ever since the 50th anniversary, Disneyland has been overblown by entertainment, and you are just used to it. There was a time when you only had fireworks in the Summer, and even then sometimes only on weekends or holidays. In the off season, there was essentially no entertainment whatsoever. And they even once closed the entire park one day a week. Count your blessings...

I agree with the overblown statement. I am so over the "entertainment." I went yesterday, and I rather enjoyed the "quiet." I always thought that the entertainment itself was pretty good, but it seemed to really disrupt the flow of traffic, etc.

ScottC4746
01-27-2009, 03:27 PM
I think the reason I am so upset about the Bank of Main Street changes is the interior is one of the few remaining orginial 1955 interiors. I cannot say the same about the Opera House, I think they have done a few changes from the original.

tod
01-27-2009, 03:55 PM
I think the reason I am so upset about the Bank of Main Street changes is the interior is one of the few remaining orginial 1955 interiors. I cannot say the same about the Opera House, I think they have done a few changes from the original.

When Disneyland opened, the Opera House was a lumber mill. In the early '60s, they put set pieces from "Babes in Toyland" in there. There have been a few changes. ;)

What bothers me is the slash-and-burn attitudes of the people in charge nowadays. They took chains and hammers to "distress" the woodwork in Pieces of Eight rather than paint on fake damage to the formerly-beautiful woodwork, and now they are ripping out the interior of the bank.

Walt said that Disneyland was not a museum and things change. But I think these new guys have no respect for the place.

--t

oregontraveler
01-27-2009, 04:00 PM
I want to paraphrase Walt here as best I can remember. Disneyland is in a constant state of change. Imangineers will always be coming with new ideas.
And sometimes, we have to make room for change. I don't feel too bad about the bank going under the knife if that means bring back the Gallery and hopefully someday, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. I think the Plaza Pavillion is a great place for the new AP center Since it has been pointed out that a
restaurant with such a good view of the hub and fireworks would surely create
gridlock. Although I've only read about the history of the park, not being open
7 days a week, plus with all the private parties that happened back then and
reduced hours. 2009 is going to a tough year for any business to survive,
Disney is not immune to that. I keep hearing about the 55th Anniversary in 2010, a possible TL makeover, as well as the DCA 5 year plan. I hope they
can keep their head above water and keep the carnage to a minimum.

ScottC4746
01-28-2009, 04:40 AM
This is true, but I guess I am a traditionalist when it comes to stuff like that. I mean look at the River Belle Terrace. That used to be Walt's favorite hangout...I wonder if he would like the new menu.

houseofmouse
01-28-2009, 07:26 AM
I have seen the bathroom issues for sure. This past October a few potties were pretty bad but I did see staff in there. It was worse in WDW this past year and 2006, I did see a few staff but they seemed annoyed when I politely told them the stall I had tried to use was pretty gross.

I have noticed a few grouchy CM's but I think the really great ones outshine the ones just working for a paycheck.

bananaman20
01-28-2009, 03:57 PM
I have seen the bathroom issues for sure. This past October a few potties were pretty bad but I did see staff in there.

Ya the last trip I took to DLR, I used at least 3 different bathrooms and each one had graffiti in them

SoCalSteven
01-28-2009, 07:52 PM
I feel the same. This is why I haven't rushed to renew my PAP. It is going on two years now. (although, I've been let in my CM friends a couple times since)

Perhaps it is the guests being rougher on the park, as well as less money for fixup? I find myself getting more upset with the idiocy of people these days. Perhaps I'm just getting more cynical?

ScottC4746
01-28-2009, 08:36 PM
I feel the same. This is why I haven't rushed to renew my PAP. It is going on two years now. (although, I've been let in my CM friends a couple times since)

Perhaps it is the guests being rougher on the park, as well as less money for fixup? I find myself getting more upset with the idiocy of people these days. Perhaps I'm just getting more cynical?
One of the many reasons I have never gone for a Six Flags Season pass is the riff raff at Magic Mountain and Six Flags really doesn't care about their parks (search on Astroworld Houston). I have loved Disney because of the quality they offer.

avalosn
01-28-2009, 08:42 PM
I agree with the overblown statement. I am so over the "entertainment." I went yesterday, and I rather enjoyed the "quiet." I always thought that the entertainment itself was pretty good, but it seemed to really disrupt the flow of traffic, etc.

I agree too! I love when the park is quiet and not filled with noise, which is rare, but hey. I enjoy the entertainment they have offered but to me, if you have seen the fireworks once, twice, three times.....well, then you have seen them a hundred times. I usually try to get out of the park by 7:00 p.m. because I don't want to get caught up in the fireworks/Fantasmic! insanity.....It drives me nuts and, actually, doesn't feel very safe anymore. At least to me.

avalosn
01-28-2009, 08:46 PM
I have seen the bathroom issues for sure. This past October a few potties were pretty bad but I did see staff in there. It was worse in WDW this past year and 2006, I did see a few staff but they seemed annoyed when I politely told them the stall I had tried to use was pretty gross.

I have noticed a few grouchy CM's but I think the really great ones outshine the ones just working for a paycheck.

I have also noticed the restroom situation as well. Not cute, not cute. I have seen potties to the point where I am like, "Wow, I feel sorry for the CM that has to clean this restroom!"

The old man
01-29-2009, 10:01 AM
I agree too! I love when the park is quiet and not filled with noise, which is rare, but hey. I enjoy the entertainment they have offered but to me, if you have seen the fireworks once, twice, three times.....well, then you have seen them a hundred times. I usually try to get out of the park by 7:00 p.m. because I don't want to get caught up in the fireworks/Fantasmic! insanity.....It drives me nuts and, actually, doesn't feel very safe anymore. At least to me.

Fantasmic! plain and simply jams up the park. DL is just too small two handle a show like this. It clogs up hundreds of feet of walkway making it impossible to get into certain areas. The mob movement--take a step, stop, get pushed, stop, take a step--certainly has the potential for some people getting hurt. I would like to (don't hurt me too much) see it eliminated.

darph nader
01-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Fantasmic! plain and simply jams up the park. DL is just too small two handle a show like this. It clogs up hundreds of feet of walkway making it impossible to get into certain areas. The mob movement--take a step, stop, get pushed, stop, take a step--certainly has the potential for some people getting hurt. I would like to (don't hurt me too much) see it eliminated.

I'm with you old man. I've discussed this before.

The old man
01-29-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm with you old man. I've discussed this before.

But your name is a homage to the evil one himself! :)

danyoung
01-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Fantasmic! plain and simply jams up the park. DL is just too small two handle a show like this.

DL has been handling the F! crowds quite nicely for what, 15 years? 20? It's a spectacular show, unlike anything else on the planet. And if the price for it is that you spend a little shoulder to shoulder time with the other guests, I'm more than willing to pay it.

ladylyons
01-29-2009, 01:18 PM
DL has been handling the F! crowds quite nicely for what, 15 years? 20? It's a spectacular show, unlike anything else on the planet. And if the price for it is that you spend a little shoulder to shoulder time with the other guests, I'm more than willing to pay it.

I have to agree here, F! has been going on for a long time now and I remember watching it with my grandparent's and now I'm able to share it with my little ones. This past Christmas my DS (22 mos) really enjoyed the show. Everytime he saw Mickey his face would just light up and he'd shout "key, key" (yes he's learning to talk) and I just wanted to cry (yes I watched him the whole time instead of the show). To me that is the true magic of Disney and would hate to see it go away. I'll deal with the shoulder to shoulder time with other people to see my little ones face light up when he sees Mickey and the other characters.

avalosn
01-29-2009, 05:16 PM
I mean, they are great shows but maybe Remember & Fantasmic should be done on different nights?

It's like Fantasmic crowds (1st show) & Remember crowds all stake out a place for the best viewing, right? Then after Remember and Fantasmic are over, the Remember crowd moves like a cow hurd to Frontierland/NOS for Fantasmic (2nd show).....MOOOOOOOO.......while others try to exit Frontierland and/or the park.....more MOOOOOOOOO........and BTW, although Fantasmic has been going on for 15 years plus, DL mainly began their big, amazing, crowd-congesting fireworks extravaganza in 2005 with the 50th.......most years before it was just regular fireworks, at least from what I remember......So we have really been dealing with crowd congestion like this since 2005, for the most part.....?????

Don't get me wrong, I love the Remember and Fantasmic, but I'll forgo seeing my kids faces light up in exchange for a less congested environment......Besides, when kids visit Disneyland, aren't their faces ALWAYS lit up?

I think having the shows on rotating nights could help control the amount of people......I can always hope they move Fantasmic to DCA after the remodel/reconstruction, whatever.......I know it's not gonna happen, it's Disney.......but I can dream anyways......