PDA

View Full Version : Plaza Pavillion

ScottC4746
01-21-2009, 04:36 AM
When I went Monday they had the Plaza Pavillion where you could peek into the windows. Sadly, they have redesigned this classic old restaurant into an Annual Passport Processing Center. That is two classic restaurants that are gone...Plaza Pavillion and Tony's Town Square. Actually I consider River Belle Terrace as gone too as they ruined it making it a sandwhich place now.

Malcon10t
01-21-2009, 05:56 AM
When I went Monday they had the Plaza Pavillion where you could peek into the windows. Sadly, they have redesigned this classic old restaurant into an Annual Passport Processing Center. That is two classic restaurants that are gone...Plaza Pavillion and Tony's Town Square. Actually I consider River Belle Terrace as gone too as they ruined it making it a sandwhich place now.Actually, the AP Processing center there was closed back in the early 2000s. I remember doing our APs there somewhere between 2000 and 2002.

ScottC4746
01-21-2009, 07:00 AM
It is still very much set up that way.

spectromen
01-21-2009, 07:19 AM
Tony's Town Square is in WDW, but I'm sure you meant the Town Square Cafe/Egg House, near the corner of the Showcase shop ;)

olegc
01-21-2009, 09:37 AM
plaza pavillion has not been a restaurant I think for at least 10 years or so...

ScottC4746
01-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Yes that is the place.

houseofmouse
01-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Maybe it is better they use it for something rather than let it sit there empty or only used for the cookie baking. A restaurant would be great, but with the economy the way it is and attendance down, a restaurant just does not make sense right now. So maybe later they can use it for food again.

Darkbeer
01-21-2009, 01:30 PM
They had it open and using it for AP processing last Sunday, along with the bank, since it was so busy.

Autopia Guy
01-21-2009, 03:13 PM
A restaurant would be great, but with the economy the way it is and attendance down, a restaurant just does not make sense right now. So maybe later they can use it for food again.

It never will be unless the Fireworks right after Fantasmic! go away. The mess that would make with people wanting in, but having to be denied due to it being full (look at the Plaza Inn on some more crowded nights) would make problems. It just is not in a good location.

Or it would only be able to be open for Breakfast/Lunch like Carnation Cafe is. And then it would be wasted space after about 4 PM.

And if the whole rumor of the gallery going into the Bank and AP Center getting the boot is true, that is the next area to go to.

olegc
01-21-2009, 03:37 PM
And if the whole rumor of the gallery going into the Bank and AP Center getting the boot is true, that is the next area to go to.

a little off topic - but the latest on gallery I thought was to make the current exit the entrance to the 50th movie, make the pre-show area the new exit, with all of it's displays AND a Disney Gallery run service. Maybe they would have to eat up the bank as well for enough room - but that is what I had read here on MP about three months ago.

IdahoMike
01-23-2009, 07:04 AM
David Koenig's article on the front page of MP today says exactly that. The Gallery IS going in there, and the bank is going bye-bye. AP processing returns to the Plaza Pavilion.

houseofmouse
01-23-2009, 05:10 PM
It is nice they are putting the Gallery back in but is the Plaza Pavillion going to be called the Bank now or is the bank building and name just going the way of the dinosaur?

ScottC4746
01-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Sadly I think the bank has ... Ahem ... Cashed Out. I am really sadened to see another originality of the park is going away.

Bytebear
01-27-2009, 07:13 PM
The bank hasn't been a real bank for many years, although there is an ATM on the side. The outside facade will still look like a bank, but it will not function as one.

MamaBaer
01-28-2009, 07:46 AM
I work for a company that built some industrial water heating equipment for the Plaza Pavillion location and also have heard recently what is to become of it.

It is a fully functional kitchen and the plan is to use is for back up for other restaurants in the park as they are refurbished or backed up. At this point in time, there are no plans to reopen as a stand alone restaurant.

As for the AP processing center at the bank, it will be closing eventually to make way for the new gallery expansaion with the Opera House remodel so it stands to reason that if PP is still set up for AP processing that it will be used for that as well.

potzbie
01-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Sadly I think the bank has ... Ahem ... Cashed Out.

My! Does that mean, the Main Street Bank will apply to the federal government for a bailout?
:D

True or false? -- That the Main Street Bank's assets will be bought out by Scrooge McDuck.
:D:D

ScottC4746
01-28-2009, 08:39 PM
The bank hasn't been a real bank for many years, although there is an ATM on the side. The outside facade will still look like a bank, but it will not function as one.
I know it has not functioned as a bank due to the federal law of access to banks, however the inside is still orginal.