PDA

View Full Version : Main Street Repaving Project

Pages : [1] 2

Jeffreaky
01-16-2009, 04:07 PM
I saw over on Micechat that there is a big repaving project gong on. Are they really going to pave the whole thing? Would they really pave over the original pavement with the foot prints and women's high heal holes from opening day? It's funny, I always look at the pavement when I go down main street and it's in really good condition, not many cracks and wonder if they will ever repave it. I would be sad if they do, the pavement is such cool history and it's my favorite part about Main Street.

houseofmouse
01-16-2009, 04:47 PM
I think it has been paved before.:confused: It really needs it now and they have already started in Tomorrowland.

Jeffreaky
01-16-2009, 04:50 PM
I think it has been paved before.:confused: It really needs it now and they have already started in Tomorrowland.

Wow, I was told a long time ago on a Walk In Walt's Footsteps tour that that was the original holes and foot prints, how weird! I guess I'm not really gonna miss anything.

Bytebear
01-17-2009, 07:32 AM
This is the first time that the whole street will be paved at once. They have repaved sections when needed, so some of the pavement, may indeed be original. I believe this repavement will be more substantial with brick around the trolley rails and possibly cobblestone on the street. (see Toontown's trolley tracks for an example).

disneyFREAK242
01-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Didn't they repave it in 2004 when they had the huge Olympic pool with Michael Phelps? I remember seeing a video of them scooping up dirt and moving it...I don't know...:confused:

Autopia Guy
01-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Didn't they repave it in 2004 when they had the huge Olympic pool with Michael Phelps? I remember seeing a video of them scooping up dirt and moving it...I don't know...:confused:

If they were doing anything with dirt, I would imagine it was to give the pool a flat, even area to sit on. The temporary pool bottom would not like to have been on the uneven surface that is main street. It would sag into the trolly tracks, sag with the curvature of the street towards the curbs, ect.

Jeffreaky
01-17-2009, 10:45 AM
This is the first time that the whole street will be paved at once. They have repaved sections when needed, so some of the pavement, may indeed be original. I believe this repavement will be more substantial with brick around the trolley rails and possibly cobblestone on the street. (see Toontown's trolley tracks for an example).

Oh yeah, brick would be really nice looking. Maybe some pavement is original or they just put the holes and foot prints in the pavement to keep the look of original old pavement.

Malcon10t
01-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Oh yeah, brick would be really nice looking. Maybe some pavement is original or they just put the holes and foot prints in the pavement to keep the look of original old pavement.I seriously doubt any section hasn't been repaved. Asphalt does not hold up over 50+ years. I know they added prints to Frontierland, but doubt they would to Main St. I never heard that about the prints still being there during the various Walt and VIP tours we've done. Interesting, will have to do some checking on that.

AaronInCal
01-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Last I heard the repaving is going to be in the most-needed spots, not the entire street. But all the tracks will be replaced. Kind of interesting since they just repaved in between the tracks earlier in 2008. I guess that could not wait till now.

Autopia Guy
01-18-2009, 12:56 AM
Kind of interesting since they just repaved in between the tracks earlier in 2008. I guess that could not wait till now.

That was testing material. If you look at it, there was like 5 different types of asphalt put down. And that is the area of the street that takes the most abuse with the horses walking down it and all. So it was the best test area to see how they each held up ti the wear and tear of the resort.

DisneylandMom
01-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Has anyone heard how long this project will take? (or at least when Main Street will be completed.) I'm planning our trip for May and I'm hoping the construction/ paving areas don't take away from the magic of walking down Main Street and seeing the castle. That's one of my favorite parts!

Darkbeer
01-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Has anyone heard how long this project will take? (or at least when Main Street will be completed.) I'm planning our trip for May and I'm hoping the construction/ paving areas don't take away from the magic of walking down Main Street and seeing the castle. That's one of my favorite parts!

The goal is to have it completed by late March, so they can have the new "Celebrate! - A Street Party" event start on March 27th.

Today, they still had walls up in front of the Tomorrowland entrance at the Hub, but the two smaller walls near the area where they have the Christmas Tree have been removed. Basically they added additional Wheelchair ramps and removed some of the curb section.

ScottC4746
01-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Lots of magic walls around Main Street for the Paving project.

AaronInCal
01-20-2009, 02:58 PM
As of right now, their goal is to have the repaving done by Feb 12. The street cars are scheduled to return on Feb 13. It sounds like a short time for the work, but this is what they have posted to CMs as of now. This would make sense if they are not repaving the entire street and just doing parts of it, as was rumored they cut back to last year. Naturally it may change.

MissMinnieFan
02-22-2009, 08:17 AM
Has anyone heard if the paving is finished? What a job that must be, expecially with the foot traffic Main Street gets!

Darkbeer
02-22-2009, 08:23 AM
They placed another large set of walls up this week, in front of the Magic Shop area....

Escape2Disney
02-22-2009, 08:23 AM
As someone who is frequently wheelchair-bound, I'm happy to see them repave some of the sections of Main Street. It sounds like it'll be a smoother ride over the tracks! On the other hand, I'm happy to hear it will be finished long before our trip in September!

MadasaHatter
02-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Just got back from Disneyland and knew that the walls were there but it really bummed me out as MAIN ST. is also my favorite. It said that there were no attractions down on the web site so I figured that the walls would be down during my trip to accommodate the MAIN ST. VEHICLES. I was wrong and that is my hands down favorite attraction at Disneyland. *sigh*

On a happy note the BLUE SKY CELLARS at DCA got me really really amped about the new DCA entrance. IT will probably be my second favorite land now. Very very excited about that!

Of course ....I am mad.....

Bolivar
02-23-2009, 02:10 PM
On Thursday I was walking right behind a guy being led by a plaid jacketed guide. She pointed out the walls and told him they would be gone in a week.

Take that with a grain of salt though because the guy asked her about fireworks and she said, "There won't be any tonight but there will be on Friday." There wasn't any fireworks on Friday.

hothitz2000
02-23-2009, 06:34 PM
So are the walls just up in front of the magic shop? Or are there others?

Bolivar
02-23-2009, 07:07 PM
They are from the top of the circle there, in front of the annual pass processing place to just a bit past the magic shop, but only over the road part and only half the road at that, so you can walk on either side of the walls and can access all the store fronts.

olegc
03-02-2009, 06:18 AM
you know, i am already tired of seeing so many boarded up sections of DIsneyland (and of course DCA). I miss the magical way they used to do it all at night (from my recollection) and then you show up and surprise! it's all fixed. I think the Disneyland walls should have some sort of themeing similar to what DCA did (well, depends on what you call themeing).

it's only been 2 months and I already am tired of the pics. Maybe I should stop looking at the websites :eek: Nah!

Malcon10t
03-02-2009, 07:09 AM
you know, i am already tired of seeing so many boarded up sections of DIsneyland (and of course DCA). I miss the magical way they used to do it all at night (from my recollection) and then you show up and surprise! Actually, stuff like the repaving would not have been done overnight. It would have been done during the days the park was closed (generally Monday and Tues.) And the park closed back then at 6 on Wed and Thurs. Yep, they got more done "back when", but there were more days and hours the park was closed.

ESS Heckler
03-02-2009, 08:52 AM
I REALLY hope the Main Street walls are down by next week (3/8 - 3/12). I LOVE walking down mainstreet and the feeling that gives you when you first walk into the park.

ScroogeMcDuck
03-02-2009, 07:40 PM
I was in the park today, and the walls are still up... They start just past the Bank on Main St. and extend about 1/3 of the way down Mainstreet. The sidewalk is open on both sides, and a bit of the street on the left side as you enter is available as well, but crowded.