PDA

View Full Version : New restaurants

Pages : [1] 2

MadasaHatter
01-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Really people????

Popcorn vs. Churros????

How about some new restaurants to sit down and relax in and get service. WHen I am on vacation the LAST thing I want to do is wait in one of those horrid lines for expensive food that is at best mediocre and luke warm. please no buffets. I don't care how long my food takes just make it hot and fresh. We always eat at the CARNATION CAFE. We are sitting on Main St. (my favorite land) and being served. THe servers have always been very very friendly and if you are lucky Oscar comes out. So very cool. So instead of more BLUE BAYOU restaurants I wish Disney would put a little restaurant the exact size of CARNATION in each land.

Let's put a little cafe up in Tarzan's Tree House.....how is that for a view. PUt a little riverside cafe in the Downstairs part of HUNGRY BEAR. THere has to be a place for a little cafe in NOS. Maybe have a cafe style restaurant over looking the STAR TOURS cue? A restaurant for weary travelers. ANd then putting a cafe up in the old SKYWAY station in Fantasyland. I am talking all about the same size as CARNATION CAFE. perrrrfect......of course I am mad!

stan4d_steph
01-12-2009, 09:50 AM
There has to be a place for a little cafe in NOS. There's already a cafe in New Orleans Square. It's called Café Orleans (http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide.php?pg=AAG402).

MadasaHatter
01-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Awesome.

When did they put in a full service restaurant with real waiters and everything!?!?!? I am going next month and I will make PRIORITY reservations!!! Loooove it!

madasahatter

disneylandgirl
01-12-2009, 11:02 AM
No offense... but I think somebody needs to do their research on Disneyland... LOL. There are little places to eat everywhere. Try the Bengal BBQ in Adventureland, it's awesome!

And what's wrong the churros and popcorn? I like getting a churro right before a parade or fireworks.

And you can't really expect low prices for anything at DL.

Malcon10t
01-12-2009, 11:05 AM
When did they put in a full service restaurant with real waiters and everything!?!?!? I am going next month and I will make PRIORITY reservations!!! Loooove it!Its been there at least 4-5 years. We eat there every trip.

MadasaHatter
01-12-2009, 12:29 PM
No offense taken! I started this thread to get some info/advice/etc.

I remember them re-doing that CAFE ORLEANs and I always thought that it was a cafeteria style restaurant. Definitely trying it out in FEB. HOORAY!!!

Ummmm...Bengal BBQ I am about 99.9% sure does not have table service. I hope I am wrong and learned something new again. I still snack at Dland though and love BENGAL BBQ for a quick HOT treat. But it takes forever and I wish I was sitting while waiting.....sigh...I can dream can't I.

I just wasn't interested in popcorn or churros so that is why I posted this thread. Grew up in Nebraska so had enough donuts in my youth and I always get popcorn at the movie theatres.

Thanks for all the input!!! This is great!

disneylandgirl
01-12-2009, 12:35 PM
No offense taken! I started this thread to get some info/advice/etc.

I remember them re-doing that CAFE ORLEANs and I always thought that it was a cafeteria style restaurant. Definitely trying it out in FEB. HOORAY!!!

Ummmm...Bengal BBQ I am about 99.9% sure does not have table service. I hope I am wrong and learned something new again. I still snack at Dland though and love BENGAL BBQ for a quick HOT treat. But it takes forever and I wish I was sitting while waiting.....sigh...I can dream can't I.

I just wasn't interested in popcorn or churros so that is why I posted this thread. Grew up in Nebraska so had enough donuts in my youth and I always get popcorn at the movie theatres.

Thanks for all the input!!! This is great!

Bengal BBQ is not table service... but YUMMY. It's one of my new favorites. They have a few tables to sit down at. And it doesn't always take forever... it depends on how busy the park is. When I was there in December, there was no line at all.

adriennek
01-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Really people????

Popcorn vs. Churros????

How about some new restaurants to sit down and relax in and get service.

Actually, check the financial times we're in. As MousePlanet has reported (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=dl081222xx#news3) in our DLR updates, the resort is closing restaurants for lack of business. More restaurants won't be coming any time soon.

Adrienne

Bytebear
01-12-2009, 01:28 PM
I don't mind the number of restaurants. I just wish there was more variety, particularly with hamburgers. Whether you go to Hungry Bear, Tomorrowland Terrace, or Village Haus, you will get the exact same thing. I did think they should move the Star Tours queue down to where the HISTA empty queue is and have restaurant seating on the edge of the upper platform, maybe using the upper Arcade building as a kitchen. That would be a nice view. Don't know how popular it would be though. It is a bit out of the way.

MadasaHatter
01-13-2009, 01:54 AM
I know that they are cutting restaurants but I think people are growing weary of fast food. I went to Disneyland with a family that wanted all the stuff I haven't had in years. The hamburger and Fries at tomorrowlandterrace were STone cold and NOT THAT good.

As for Bengal BBQ the last two times I went there were two people in front of me and they took FOREVER to order and my order took forever. IT was hot and delicious so I was happy about that but the waiting would have been nicer if I was lounging at a table watching DLAND> I think if Disney went back to the full service and got it right more people would crave it. I also think that the fast food restaurants are poorly run. Just sayin....

jenniebean
01-13-2009, 02:00 AM
Ummmm...Bengal BBQ I am about 99.9% sure does not have table service.
It does if you bring a reallllly nice friend ;)

& I tend to take my delicious safari skewer (which my dad has now perfected on our own grill-- yaaay) to the carnation plaza stage tables. Much less crowded than that awful bottle neck in Adventureland.

disneylandgirl
01-13-2009, 08:49 AM
I know that they are cutting restaurants but I think people are growing weary of fast food. I went to Disneyland with a family that wanted all the stuff I haven't had in years. The hamburger and Fries at tomorrowlandterrace were STone cold and NOT THAT good.

As for Bengal BBQ the last two times I went there were two people in front of me and they took FOREVER to order and my order took forever. IT was hot and delicious so I was happy about that but the waiting would have been nicer if I was lounging at a table watching DLAND> I think if Disney went back to the full service and got it right more people would crave it. I also think that the fast food restaurants are poorly run. Just sayin....

I wouldn't want to eat at a table service place for every single meal though... I like the quick food for lunch. And breakfast I'll just have at the hotel. Dinner is fine for table service, but I want a quick lunch so I can get back on the rides.

DaDuckFan1955
01-13-2009, 09:46 AM
try the Stage Door Cafe tucked away in a corner before you get to the Golden Horseshoe they serve Chicken strips or Fish & Chips (YUMMY)!

We discovered them by accident in November, was a great change from the Burgers & Pizza & Salad offerings at Hungry bear/ Village House/Pizza Port.

We also do Blue Bayou at least once, would do it more but the price is only affordable once.

Cafe Orleans was closed most mornings during our week in November.

adriennek
01-13-2009, 01:58 PM
I know that they are cutting restaurants but I think people are growing weary of fast food.

But don't you think that if people were growing weary of fast food, there would be enough business to support table service restaurants? You can assume that "people are growing weary of fast food" but if the table service restaurants are so slow that they don't have enough business to justify keeping them open, then there is a flaw with your argument. To further disprove it, the table service restaurants in Disney's California Adventure have all closed since the park opened. Even before the most most recent cutbacks, the Vineyard Room at DCA closed.

If people were growing weary of fast food, I would expect the resort to see a decline in sales at fast food restaurants which would necessitate closing fast food locations.

This is Disney. They're not going to cut corners by closing the money makers. ;)

Adrienne

Malcon10t
01-13-2009, 02:06 PM
But don't you think that if people were growing weary of fast food, there would be enough business to support table service restaurants?My problem is I am there during peak times. Table service is so hard to get without priority seating. Over Christmas, BB was booked from 12/14-1/2 and they weren't taking walk ups. Several days, Cafe Orleans was the same way. I assume Carnation Cafe was also. BUT, that said, during off peak times, I know it is slow. Too bad they can't work something out so during peak times, they can have table service locations, which also double as fast food areas during slower periods....

Iceman
01-13-2009, 08:35 PM
If people were growing weary of fast food, I would expect the resort to see a decline in sales at fast food restaurants which would necessitate closing fast food locations.

This is Disney. They're not going to cut corners by closing the money makers. ;)

Perhaps not, but they are closing the places that make Disney special. Any amusement park has churro carts, popcorn carts, and grease-burgers. Heck, when planning a WDW trip one has to essentially plan their meals, then work theme parks and everything else around that! There are so many fine restaurants, all over the property (and in every park except, sadly, the Animal Kingdom), that one could stay for a month and not want for new dining experiences.

DL and DCA are sorely lacking fine dining experiences. The closure of The Vineyard Room was a huge mistake--I personally know several people who went to DCA simply so they could eat there (and who ended up enjoying themselves much more than they thought they would at the park itself). It partially has to do with the image of the park itself, which is now notably more pedestrian.

MadasaHatter
01-14-2009, 09:36 AM
DL and DCA are sorely lacking fine dining experiences. The closure of The Vineyard Room was a huge mistake--

EXACTLY Iceman. That is why I am talking smaller venues like CARNATION. it has very little tables and is always full. If there were those choices then it would be nicer for everyone. When I took kids to the park we would always go to BLUE BAYOU in the day. It wasn't as expensive mind you and the kids ALWAYS fought it but we needed a cool off time and they actually enjoyed it after they settled down and we adults got a nice meal and then we were ready for a power finish of Dland. I actually would prefer more CAFE's in DCA as you can get a glass of wine or a cold beer with your meal. So with the redo maybe that will happen. HOORAY!!!

MadasaHatter
01-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Oh yeah,

I checked out CAFE ORLEANS on line....not that I didn't believe you fine folk but I just had to see for myself you know. Cannot believe I missed that. This is why I love this board!!!! Warm fuzzies. I love you dudes!!!! ( and dudettes...)

adriennek
01-14-2009, 11:07 AM
DL and DCA are sorely lacking fine dining experiences. The closure of The Vineyard Room was a huge mistake--

If they could not get enough business to keep the restaurant open, how was it a mistake?

If you leave DCA through the Grand Californian gate, you are mere steps away from an amazing dining experience, btw.

Adrienne

pbmouseman
01-14-2009, 11:28 AM
If you leave DCA through the Grand Californian gate, you are mere steps away from an amazing dining experience, btw.

What happens if you leave through the Grand Californian gate for a meal and want to get back in? Do you have to walk back around through DTD to get into the parks? [I've mostly had good luck on the occasions I've tried to "sneak" through the GCH gates, but I'm sure my luck will run out at some point.

adriennek
01-14-2009, 11:31 AM
What happens if you leave through the Grand Californian gate for a meal and want to get back in? Do you have to walk back around through DTD to get into the parks? [I've mostly had good luck on the occasions I've tried to "sneak" through the GCH gates, but I'm sure my luck will run out at some point.

The only time it matters is first thing in the morning. I've gone in and out of the GCH gate without thinking I was sneaking.

Adrienne

WITron
01-14-2009, 01:41 PM
For me one of the reasons that I will no longer go to Blue Bayou is that they priced themselves out of my range. I used to enjoy being able to sit down and have a nice bowl of Clam Chowder and fired zucchini, and it was not anymore than if I were to buy a burger and fries at a fast food place.

On my last trip, I went to the trattoria and had a very enjoyable meal that did not break the bank. I will more than likely eat there again, unless the prices get outrageous.

Iceman
01-14-2009, 09:29 PM
If they could not get enough business to keep the restaurant open, how was it a mistake?

Given how difficult it always was to get PS at The Vineyard Room, I find it hard to believe that they weren't getting enough business. Rather, I think, it was a conscious decision by upper management to "dumb down" the park experience. It's similar to how we find all the same merchandise now in all the shops all over property, and even at both DL and WDW.

I'm sure some whiz kid MBA looks at the $/hr or whatever of the fast food locations and thinks that by closing the sit-down places they'll force people to go to those supposedly higher-revenue-generating eateries. The short-sighted flaw is that Disney is supposed to be about the experience, not the profits. By providing a range and variety of experiences (including dining), they appeal to a broader set of guests and enhance the satisfaction of all. Which leads to increased spending, positive word-of-mouth, and (wonder of wonders) profits.

There is no doubt that Napa Rose is extraordinary. Catal in DD is pretty nice, too. But there is nothing in either park that approaches those locations in quality, and I strongly feel that there should be.

cstephens
01-15-2009, 02:20 AM
Given how difficult it always was to get PS at The Vineyard Room, I find it hard to believe that they weren't getting enough business.

Admittedly, I hadn't been to the Vineyard Room for about a year or so before it closed down, but on pretty much every occasion that I visited the Vineyard Room, I did so as a walk-up with no problem, and there were definitely still other tables open. Maybe things changed in the year before they closed.

Malcon10t
01-15-2009, 05:44 AM
Given how difficult it always was to get PS at The Vineyard Room, I find it hard to believe that they weren't getting enough business.Actually, from those I know, they said it was usually easy to get in without a ressie. When I would try and book someplace that was full, they generally would recommend The Vineyard Room.