PDA

View Full Version : Disney trumpeting new theme-park musical plan - OC Register, 12/15/02

Darkbeer
12-16-2002, 02:33 AM
Disney trumpeting new theme-park musical plan (http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=16291&section=NEWS&year=2002&month=12&day=15) - Orange County Register, 12/15/02

QuikQuote: Will "Aladdin" boost attendance at California Adventure?
"We regard 'Aladdin' as comparable in attractiveness to a major new ride," said Cynthia Harriss, president of Disneyland Resort. As for how long it runs, "We'll look at how many people who come to the park attend the show, and whether those numbers hold steady." McClintock said average "Aladdin" attendance would be more than 1,500.

Sailor Butterfly
12-16-2002, 05:31 AM
"I think they've long ago figured out that it's the quality stuff that makes the most money in the long run."

I just wanted another copy of that statement for the record.

gn2dlnd
12-16-2002, 10:43 AM
"Disney brought someone like me in because they wanted to elevate the quality of the entertainment in their theme parks around the world," (Hamburger) said. "One of the ways you do that is bringing in world-class artists."

Modest to a fault.

ldsguy
12-16-2002, 06:00 PM
You know what, she deserves to be proud of her accomplishments, as there are a lot of them, not all worked well, but most did. Everyone has thier flops.

"I think they've long ago figured out that it's the quality stuff that makes the most money in the long run."
I think they had figured it out, then forgotten it for a while and are starting to remember the lesson again.

"Lavish full-length musicals cost about $10 million to produce; "Aladdin" probably cost considerably less."

I am sorry, I had to make mention that Aladdin cost approximately this much to produce (I believe it turned out to be $11 million or so, but still, due to having to re-enforce the ceiling and other changes to the theater.

I also finds it interesting that this article calls the response mixed, yes I heard a few give the show low remarks, but an overwhelming majority love the show, that much is obvious.

gn2dlnd
12-16-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by ldsguy
You know what, she deserves to be proud of her accomplishments, as there are a lot of them, not all worked well, but most did. Everyone has thier flops.

What are they? Aside from being on duty at the La Jolla Playhouse when "Thoroughly Modern Millie" debuted, Ms. Hamburger's resume' seems to be lacking in "a lot of accomplishments." Lots of "environmental theatre" in NY. Railroad tracks, abandoned warehouses, etc. Theatre you need a tetanus shot after. She took a five year commitment with La Jolla, beginning in 2000. She announced her 2000 season on January 31, 2000, and announced on July 31, 2000, that she was leaving for Disney at the end of the season. Michael Ovitz would be proud. Are you enjoying the new DCA Christmas show? Because using up the budget for that would be one of her accomplishments. Really, I'd like to like "Aladdin," but I doubt that she even understands what the problems are. You can't just dazzle an audience with effects and call it theatre. In 40 minutes you should be able to tell an involving, emotionally moving story, not just a greatest hits version with big holes in the script.

ldsguy
12-17-2002, 01:35 PM
Ok, well, I have to ask if you have even seen "Aladdin" yet, particularly since all of the changes, yes, there were some holes, but most, if not all have been filled.....

Please remember this about any and all live shows, including professional theater:
All shows are a work in progress, they will continue to evolve and change as the director sees where things can be improved and also as he/she recieves input from the public as to what needs to be and/or should be changed.

But she has been in charge of several shows, first off being in charge of the La Jolla Playhouse is a major accomplishment in and of it's self, take it from someone that lives in the area, many Broadway stars come from there....she has quite a bit of history with the Disney company, not all of which was good, but a lot of it was.....just go to google.com and look her up, you can find out a great deal that way.

Also, I am really glad that DCA doesn't have a major Christmas show, as there's no good place to show it, Luminaria was a disaster (yes she was aprtially responsible for that mess) but the reason it was such a disaster was that there was no viewing area for it.

gn2dlnd
12-17-2002, 11:09 PM
Here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12229&perpage=25&pagenumber=2) is my review of the Aladdin show from the other thread. The last show on Sunday. After whatever changes there might have been. Did you actually think I'd write about the problems in the show without first having seen it?

ldsguy
12-19-2002, 04:58 PM
Unfortunately I can't read your review right now, as I am on my palm pilot & it is too large for it. But I maintain the show is really good and my main point was that the show has gone through many changes and will continue to do so until it closes, all shows, including Broadway shows do this. This will be no exception, so expect even more changes over time.

gn2dlnd
12-19-2002, 08:46 PM
You know, I really had no idea that all shows went through changes until they closed. I'm going to have to bring this up with a few of the directors I've worked with, they seem to be missing out on this little opportunity.

ldsguy
12-19-2002, 09:58 PM
You are probabbly being sarcastic here, but.......I have yet to see a show that has not gone through changes......even Beauty and the Beast still is going through changes (although probably minor by this point, and many of which the audience will never notice unless they pay close attention and see many shows) it could be a single light is adjusted, what have you, but I have never seen a show that doesn't evolve over time....nothing is ever considered perfect in theater, it can always be improved, mind you I am not talking about re-writting scripts, but rather staging, lighting, maybe an ad-lib here or there, what have you, minor things, but they adjust the flow of the shows this way. If you compar Aladdin before the changes (take the Thanksgiving day previews) with how it was this past weekend, there were major problems with the flow, there were pauses where it didn't make any sense, etc.....they made minor modifications and fixed the majority of it, I bet this weekend they will be almost, if not completely eliminated.

BTW, I still maintain the lady in the motorised wheel chair is a really nice element in the show.

I myself have done a bit of theater, although not professionally, but still, I know what's right and what's wrong, obviously in a 40 minute show you are not going to be able to connect all of the dots, but if you have ever seen the movie in this case, the dots come together esp if you pay attention, but that is key, you must pay attention. I am go to the theater quite frequently, movies are too expensive here in San Diego, most of the time it will actually cost less to go to a Broadway in San Diego show, so my point is I know what's good, what's not, yes, there are things that need tweaking, but all and all I still maintain that the quality of the show is good, when it goes touring (I doubt that it won't, look at the merchandise they are already selling) I think we will see a lot of the gaps that you complain about being filed in, I would also bet the whole wishes story line will be brought back.

Ok, well, then here's my biggest question, if you feel the dots are not connected, how would you connect them?

One thing I do think should be added, which wouldn't add much time to the story line is at the end of a Friends like me, the genie should ask Aladdin what his wish is, he should talk a small ammount about Jasmine and saythat he wants to be a prince, but first, can we get out of this cave?

Remember there are time limits, any connections made should take no more than 20-30 seconds each at most. The show should never exceed 43 minutes without technical problems, 45 minute with technical problems.

Sorry, if this is getting off topic at all.