PDA

View Full Version : Vinylmation

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ryanvalle
01-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Anybody know if Disneyland will be re-stocking on the 3" figurines or is it completely sold out?

cstephens
01-05-2009, 10:54 PM
I think that whole line is creepy.

Tinkermommy
01-06-2009, 05:55 AM
My apologies to anyone who is a fan of the series, but I'm with cstephens on this one. I loved the big painted Mickey statues they had in DCA for a while (the name escapes me) and I ended up buying several of the small reproductions when they came out.

These, however, made me do a "what were they thinking?" double-take. My daughter likes the Small World vinylmation, but since you have to buy the small ones without knowing which you're getting, she's not going to get one!

ryanvalle
01-06-2009, 08:20 AM
yeah, they are creepy in a sense, but some look pretty cool...at least to my tastes. Like the monorail mickey and the ELP mickey is cool looking.

http://www.register123.com/event/profile/web/index.cfm?PKwebID=0x14618765f5

Tinkermommy
01-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Okay, okay, I looked at your pictures and admit Monorail is pretty cool. And...(dare I say this after my earlier post?) Figmouse is kinda interesting as well.

But I'd only want the little ones, and since you can't see what you're buying, I still doubt they're in our future...:rolleyes:

AVP
01-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Disneyland is supposed to be receiving additional shipments of the Phase 1 release, but CMs I've spoken to said they were surprised by the number of people who purchased entire trays to get complete sets and/or the chase-packed figure.

For those to whom the above is Greek: the series has 11 figurines, plus one "chase-packed" figure. "Chase packing" is a toy-industry term for a variant or rare figure that is included in case packs. When the case packs are opened, these "chase" figures are usually the first to sell out, and are considered to be more collectible than the other figures. For example, say a case of 12 Fab 5 action figure toys had 1-Mickey, 2-Minnies, 3-Goofys, 3-Donalds, 3-Plutos. The Mickey figure would be considered the "chase" piece - it would be difficult to find him, but you'd find shelves full of Goofy, Donald and Pluto. Anyone who collected Star Wars figures experienced this first hand.

Some companies also chase-pack variant figures. Using the above example, there would still be 1-Mickey, 2-Minnies, 3-Goofys, 3-Donalds and 3-Plutos in a case, but say one of the Donald's might be wearing a different color costume. That variant would be as sought-after as the Mickey.

Whenever a manufacturer does this, the only way to guarantee that you get the special figure (without "chasing" all over town, hence the name) is to buy a sealed case. With the Vinylmation figures, they added a twist in that the pieces are blind-packed, which means you have NO IDEA which figure you're buying until you open the box. That really sucks if you ONLY want the Haunted Mansion figure and have to buy piece after piece hoping to get it. Disney announced that each sealed tray contained 2 full sets of the figures including 2 copies of the chase piece. If you and a friend each wanted a full set, you would just buy a tray, open them all up and split up the figures.

AVP

ryanvalle
01-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the update AVP. I found the figures on ebay with an increased premium to retail price. I will be going to the park again next week so hopefully they'll have more for me to enjoy, if not...i guess ebay wins my money.

TTFN92
01-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Are they really $10 each for a 3" plastic figurine? :eek: :eek: :eek:

ryanvalle
01-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Are they really $10 each for a 3" plastic figurine? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yup. The 9" figurine is much worse. Its $40, and i think the combo pack of both a 3" and 9" is $60 or $80. I forget. They are expensive little toys, so I highly doubt I would get a complete collection.

proflayton
01-07-2009, 09:11 AM
My apologies to anyone who is a fan of the series, but I'm with cstephens on this one. I loved the big painted Mickey statues they had in DCA for a while (the name escapes me) and I ended up buying several of the small reproductions when they came out.

These, however, made me do a "what were they thinking?" double-take. My daughter likes the Small World vinylmation, but since you have to buy the small ones without knowing which you're getting, she's not going to get one!

That's actually the whole idea behind this thing. Mickey's figure had to be rounded out for the sake of allowing artists to have a larger canvas area to draw on. Have you guys ever heard of KidRobot and their munnys/dunnys? They have artists that use their rounded figures as a platform for their art. They'll also select styles from artists and market them in blind boxes. Some figures are rarer than others, and that's part of the fun.. trying to get the rare figures.

Have you guys seen this website? http://www.mametchi.com/ink_vinyl.shtml
That guy has already created a couple of customs since their November release.. and it looks pretty good! Here's my favorite: http://www.mametchi.com/images/vinyl/omnidroid.jpg

NightKidsGTR
01-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Anybody know if Disneyland will be re-stocking on the 3" figurines or is it completely sold out?

I talked to a CM when I was down there last week (Dec. 30) and they said the 3" figures might be re-stocked around mid-January. I hope it's soon, since the series 2 figures are supposed to come out in March.

I'll probably be calling DelivEARS to get a few; I bought a 9" E-Coupon figure when I was down there. I think the entire line looks dope :D

Tan Da Man
01-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Ive never seen those...those are way cool

Wildwill
01-11-2009, 01:45 PM
What stores are they usually stocked in, I'm going next week and I'll check and probably buy one - I loved Blind Boxed toys, the thrill of the chase, etc. If I get something I don't want I'll be happy to trade.

That Kermit one is awesome.

ryanvalle
01-11-2009, 03:38 PM
im going this coming week and ill be checking if they're in stock.

I would stop by the emporium and ask if they have it there and if not, you can ask if they have it in stock anywhere else and they should be able to tell you.

ChurroGirl
01-11-2009, 03:40 PM
These are really weird. I like the HM one but thats about it. And the Red Monorail one looks like a Storm Tropper with a red sash or something like that on.

Tinkermommy
01-11-2009, 03:52 PM
What stores are they usually stocked in,

I've seen them in World of Disney, and some in that store near Pirates that I believe used to be Le Bat en Rouge. (If you come out of Pirates and turn right; it would be the second store on your right.) I just spent a small fortune on shirts in there, and I can't believe I don't know what it's called now...but it often has "Nightmare Before Christmas" stuff in it.

Wildwill
01-11-2009, 07:28 PM
I've seen them in World of Disney, and some in that store near Pirates that I believe used to be Le Bat en Rouge. (If you come out of Pirates and turn right; it would be the second store on your right.) I just spent a small fortune on shirts in there, and I can't believe I don't know what it's called now...but it often has "Nightmare Before Christmas" stuff in it.

I know which one you're talking about - I'll check this weekend and post after.

Wildwill
01-16-2009, 09:07 PM
BTW it's still le Bat En Rouge.

OK I checked a number of places today, and was told at Vault 28 in DTD that they are sold out of the 3" throughout the resort, that they were just too popular and people bought them by the case. They should have them back in stock around the end of the month.

cstephens
01-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Saw quite a number of the 3" Vinylmation boxes at the Emporium this morning.

Wildwill
01-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Sweet, I'll check this evening and HOPEFULLY I'll report that I was able to buy one or two.

Wildwill
01-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Checked Vault 28 tonight and was told that they did get them in this morning and that they were all sold out resort wide.

Which was wrong.

At 9:30 pm there was about a quarter of a case available at the World of Disney and I was told by a CM that there were more in the back. I managed to buy two in the park at Disneyana, and there were plenty available.

I got Figment and the fireworks one...I'd happily trade either for Kermit or the Monorail.

roger_rabbit_lover
01-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Anyone know when they plan on selling these designs?

Design 1 (http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/mametchi86/drinkme.jpg)

Design 2 (http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/mametchi86/KML_0179.jpg)

I'm not impressed with the current figures they released - besides Kermit.. but then my friend showed me these that she found online.. AND WOW. Just wow. I can't wait for their later releases now! There was also this really cool one with that robot from The Incredibles. I can't find its picture anymore.

Rte48
01-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Does anyone know about Vinylmation? I found these new collectibles at World of Disney tonight, so I bought a few even though I don't know what each one represents. I know the Kermit but what are the others?

cstephens
01-28-2009, 10:51 PM
There's already a thread here about vinylmation. (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=123771)

Wildwill
01-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Anyone know when they plan on selling these designs?

Design 1 (http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/mametchi86/drinkme.jpg)

Design 2 (http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/mametchi86/KML_0179.jpg)

I'm not impressed with the current figures they released - besides Kermit.. but then my friend showed me these that she found online.. AND WOW. Just wow. I can't wait for their later releases now! There was also this really cool one with that robot from The Incredibles. I can't find its picture anymore.

No, those are custom one-offs done by an amateur named Mametchi - though they are very, very cool, they are not official Vinylmations. Apparently they sell blanks so that artists can do what they want.

Does anyone know about Vinylmation? I found these new collectibles at World of Disney tonight, so I bought a few even though I don't know what each one represents. I know the Kermit but what are the others?

If you go to the Disney Gallery site there's a pic of each one, someone has a listing of what they all are.

I'm hoping they're still there at the park, I might go this weekend and I want some more.