PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for Tram with a Stroller

Pages : [1] 2

mowsluver
01-05-2009, 09:18 AM
We were at DL yesterday and it was quite crowded--as we expected it to be--but I was surprised while waiting for the tram to leave that we had to wait for at LEAST 7 trams to go by before we could get on with our stroller!
This was before the fireworks. We left about 8:50 to avoid the fireworks crowd. It seemed that every tram that pulled up already had people in the stroller section and we could not figure out where they came from/how they got there because the rest of the tram was empty!
We were still waiting when the fireworks began. Others waiting in front of us just left, probably figuring it would be faster to walk to the parking structure.

We dealt with the crowd all day but the wait at the tram was rough!!:( It would be wonderful if DL could have one or two 'just stroller/wheelchair' trams. You know, with the open spaces...that way there wouldn't be just one long stroller line!

Just an idea....:)

Niwel
01-05-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm sorry -- I know how frustrating that can be. :(
I'm sure the lat thing you want to do after a long day is walk more, but have you ever taken the path past DTD to the parking structure? It's about a 10-15 minute walk, but that way you don't have the stand there and shlep the stroller up and down the tram. We often take it in the morning when the lines are long at the tram.

Corregidore
01-05-2009, 10:33 AM
There is actually an "early" loading area. It is usually located just past the tram lines on the DTD side (to get back to Micky and Friends). This is the area where there is a ramp for easy access for people with strollers and wheel chairs.

I looks like people kept going there, loading up, and when the tram got to you it was already full. It's too bad a cast member didn't give you a heads up.

Next time, just keep walking past the lines to the second area with the ramp and you'll be set! :cool:

bassett1976
01-05-2009, 10:51 AM
We've had to wait a few times for stroller boarding. Those big strollers can take up a lot of space. One thing that we do is to skip the stoller section at the front of the tram and head to the back of the tram. The last car also has a stroller section that you use. We also have just folded up the stroller and stuck it in a normal loading section as well. This only works when we take our small stroller.

Hope this helps.

cstephens
01-05-2009, 11:10 AM
but I was surprised while waiting for the tram to leave that we had to wait for at LEAST 7 trams to go by before we could get on with our stroller!

There's no actual "stroller section" per se. The areas that people use with strollers is actually the wheelchair accessible section. If someone in a wheelchair has already been loaded from the accessible loading, then there won't be room for people with strollers on board. As mentioned, the last row of the last car and the first row of any car but the first is usually pretty good and bigger where folded up strollers can be placed.

There is actually an "early" loading area. It is usually located just past the tram lines on the DTD side (to get back to Micky and Friends). This is the area where there is a ramp for easy access for people with strollers and wheel chairs.

Actually, that loading area is supposed to be just for people in wheelchairs. If you have a stroller and you're with someone in a wheelchair, it's ok to be there, but otherwise, people just with strollers shouldn't be lining up on the accessible ramp area.

adriennek
01-05-2009, 11:20 AM
This is why I very frequently walk to the structure and skip the trams if there's any line at all. :(

Also - did you know that the last tram car usually has room for a stroller, too? And you don't have to breathe fumes.

Adrienne

Andrew
01-05-2009, 11:21 AM
The walk is not long at all, and you get the Wetzel's Pretzels reward -- traditionally, when we skip the tram and walk, we will stop at Wetzel's for a pretzel and lemonade on the way in.

Toocherie
01-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Actually, that loading area is supposed to be just for people in wheelchairs. If you have a stroller and you're with someone in a wheelchair, it's ok to be there, but otherwise, people just with strollers shouldn't be lining up on the accessible ramp area.

In fact, one time I was waiting with my Mom (who was on an ECV) on this ramp with a CM and a lady with a stroller came up. The CM told her she could not stay, but it turned out she had a Guest Assistance Card for her child so was permitted to load on the ramp. Because of replaced knees I sometimes will try to get in the "handicapped" seating area (but not use the ramp) because it is hard for me to maneuver into the other rows. However, I have gotten too many comments from parents with strollers that I was "taking up" the stroller section so now most of the time just take my time and sit in the regular rows. It would be nice if the trams had signs in those areas indicating that they were for handicapped access like the busses in WDW have because parents really are thinking those areas were meant for them, when they weren't.

adriennek
01-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Because of replaced knees I sometimes will try to get in the "handicapped" seating area (but not use the ramp) because it is hard for me to maneuver into the other rows. However, I have gotten too many comments from parents with strollers that I was "taking up" the stroller section so now most of the time just take my time and sit in the regular rows.

Seriously - some people need to get over themselves. Did you tell the complainers that it's actually an HCA section not a stroller section?

We have had occasions when we've visited DLR with friends who use ECVs and/or wheelchairs, and we have pre-loaded our stroller and their vehicles only to have people at the stroller area give us dirty looks as if we were line-cutters for taking up THEIR spots. I didn't give a rat's tush, LOL. :D They SO need to get over themselves.

Now, that said, I think that the whole tram situation for people with strollers is messed up, which is why I usually walk. Even when I've emptied and folded my stroller and waited patiently in line for multiple trams, people push right on past me to get on before me time and time again. People without strollers can be SO rude. It's on all sides of this issue. (Not saying anything specifically about anyone posting on this thread. :) :) )

Adrienne

Heaven Is Disneyland
01-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Our stroller folds up skinny enough that we can literally shove it in a regular row,and it is not an umbrella stroller. When I chose my stroller, I made sure I could fold it up by myself and that it was light. Our stroller has many, many Disneyland miles on it and I have been lucky not to have had to wait for the "stroller row" on the tram.

There have been times when I have taken my daughter by myself and boy, was that a challenge! Thank God for the kindness of strangers, I usually start to struggle and someone steps forward and helps me on and off the tram.

I really try to avoid going to the parks just my daugher and I, now that she is two, I am afraid she may get away from me whiile I am trying to manuver all of the stuff, so my husband is usually with us. He got his annual pass in July (YES!) so it has been fun.

MammaSilva
01-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Seriously - some people need to get over themselves. Did you tell the complainers that it's actually an HCA section not a stroller section?

We have had occasions when we've visited DLR with friends who use ECVs and/or wheelchairs, and we have pre-loaded our stroller and their vehicles only to have people at the stroller area give us dirty looks as if we were line-cutters for taking up THEIR spots. I didn't give a rat's tush, LOL. :D They SO need to get over themselves.

Adrienne

My favorite is when we have had 1) my evc, 2) Missy's wheelchair and 3) either the single or double stroller and we get loaded then pull forward and that Hummer sized stroller filled with stuff and the dad and his bud are trying to shove it in with us OVER top of the rail, yeah that is fun...NOT.

I agree that Disney as a company should spend the few cents it would take to put the HCA emblem on that front section, I'm not saying don't let strollers use it if it is available but remind the stroller folks it's a privilege not a "right"...

and these days whenever possible we tend to use the HCA van even tho it loads and unloads over on the far side away from all the stores...it's usually much less frustrating.

janell
01-05-2009, 01:10 PM
I wonder how they could have improved the trams to make it easier/better for stollers? Its not like it was a shock that people would come to DL with strollers. lol

Niwel
01-05-2009, 01:14 PM
I can't think of any other theme park that offers an alternative to what DL has.

adriennek
01-05-2009, 01:20 PM
I think a big part of this issue is crowd control more than making stroller accommodations. The tram isn't bad for strollers - it's a pain to have to fold it up, yes - but in my experience, the bigger pain is the lack of order to the "lines" for the tram. And the CMs who monitor the tram do little to help the people with strollers get on the tram when there's a crowd. They've helped me when there's no crowd and I've been alone trying to get all three boys and my stroller on, but in a crowd, it's every person for his/herself. It's hard to push through when you're carrying a stroller and trying to keep track of little kids and everyone else just pushes past the people trying to do this.

Adrienne

Toocherie
01-05-2009, 01:29 PM

Now, that said, I think that the whole tram situation for people with strollers is messed up, which is why I usually walk. Even when I've emptied and folded my stroller and waited patiently in line for multiple trams, people push right on past me to get on before me time and time again. People without strollers can be SO rude. It's on all sides of this issue. (Not saying anything specifically about anyone posting on this thread. :) :) )

Adrienne

agreed--it never ceases to amaze me that people get so greedy and pushy at the Happiest Place on Earth.

Toocherie
01-05-2009, 01:31 PM
I wonder how they could have improved the trams to make it easier/better for stollers? Its not like it was a shock that people would come to DL with strollers. lol

I don't think there is much they could do without limiting capacity--which unless they are forced to do they would not voluntarily do. I don't remember there being an open area on the trams pre-ADA.

cstephens
01-05-2009, 01:54 PM
They could do what they do at WDW and have actual lines that people get into to get into a particular row of the tram. That way, no jumping lines sideways. That would at least help with people pushing past those who are maneuvering strollers.

Niwel
01-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Actually, I need to respond to my own statement based on what cstephens said: on the Universal tram in Hollywood, they do tell you what row to line up in and you stand on a spot marked by a little star. They could easily do the same at DL -- they would just need to paint little mickey heads on the waiting areas at the tram stops.

DisneyMamaof2
01-05-2009, 02:07 PM
I have to agree, the "stroller" line situation can get a bit irritating after a long day at DL. This is one reason we purchased an umbrella type stroller for both my 4 year old, and the baby on the way. We basically avoid the "stoller" line all together now (unless I'm too lazy to take the stuff out of the basket of the stroller).

I might consider the option of walking to Mickey and Friends next time. Just curious, how long distance wise, is that?

adriennek
01-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Just curious, how long distance wise, is that?

Gosh, we figured it out once and I can't remember now. I want to say that it's about 1/2 mile. It's about a 10 minute walk and it's really not that bad even after a long day at the park.

Adrienne

cstephens
01-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Gosh, we figured it out once and I can't remember now.

What, you can't just look at an answer sheet to a previous MouseAdventure quest? :p

DisneyMamaof2
01-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Gosh, we figured it out once and I can't remember now. I want to say that it's about 1/2 mile. It's about a 10 minute walk and it's really not that bad even after a long day at the park.

Adrienne

Thanks!!!

Tinkermommy
01-05-2009, 04:23 PM
I do feel sorry for people with strollers, especially when they finally get to the structure and have to stand in that elevator line. I've never been able to understand why that access isn't better.

I've long thought a lot of the tram anxiety would be solved if there were clearly marked lines for each row. I did notice that there are some lines molded into the concrete, but I doubt anybody would notice them unless they are looking.

I recall watching this poor woman with a stroller, two little girls and an infant trying to board the tram late one night years ago. Every time she'd get her group gathered, the tram would have filled up around her. I thought she was going to cry. I offered to help, and when the next tram approached, she shoved her baby at me and threw everything and everyone else on the tram. Before I could get on next to her, another woman pushed between us and took the last space. I actually had to pass her baby over this other woman, and wait for the next tram. Yikes!

DizneyMommy
01-05-2009, 04:47 PM
When we had our second baby and transitioned to a double stroller, we basically stopped using the tram except on rare occassions that it is so completely dead that are actually NO lines for the tram at all.

For those who say strollers should always be folded no matter what and then they'll fit anywhere, I'd like to see them manage a 23 pound 9 month old (who does not walk yet) and a 3 year old and get a double stroller folded and on and off the tram, all with only 2 hands. Not to say that I think putting my stroller on the tram unfolded is my right, I just choose to walk instead and avoid the problem altogether. But sometimes is just isn't as easy as "just fold it".

The walk is very easy, I think it is a half mile but I could be wrong on that. We have been doing it so long now that we are used to it and it is just part of our day when we go there.

Koala Gurl
01-05-2009, 05:48 PM
I walk.

At the beginning of the day, the little ones are too antsy to wait for the tram (I am even more so), and at the end of the day, at least one of them is usually asleep. :)