PDA

View Full Version : Anaheim sued for wrongful death, but demand is made to Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

cstephens
01-02-2009, 02:31 PM
I found out about this article (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/alexander-anaheim-officer-2270149-police-herman) from another website's newsletter, which tells the story of a 20 year old man who was killed by an officer of the Anaheim police department.

The family of the man is suing the city of Anaheim for wrongful death, but they are also demanding that Disneyland put up a statue on Main Street in honor of their son. Disneyland and The Walt Disney Company are not connected in any way to the matter of the man's death.

The man had a wife and a newborn daughter who is less than a month old. His death is tragic, and I can't imagine what his widow and his parents must be going through, and that poor little girl who will never know her father.

But the parents of the man, in conjunction with the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, are asking Disney to put the statue on Main Street - "it's about honoring a man who didn't deserve to die and preventing it from ever happening again". With all due respect to the man killed and his family, he is unfortunately not the only nor will he likely be the last person who "didn't deserve to die", and I'm unclear why Disneyland would or should choose to single him out for a memorial statue or how having such a statue would prevent it from ever happening again.

I am going to give the parents the benefit of the doubt that they are in so much grief that they don't see how inappropriate their demand is, but shame on the SCLC for being party to this and using the demand to Disneyland as a publicity scam. Figuring out what really happened in this man's death, and regardless of the outcome, how best to provide for the widow and daughter is what's most important, not some stupid statue at Disneyland that will do nothing to help.

Toocherie
01-02-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm sure the attorney and the SCLC brought up the Disneyland idea just because it would give them a greater range of publicity for their lawsuit against the city. Ludicrous suggestion.

houseofmouse
01-02-2009, 03:26 PM
This is the strangest thing I have read in a long time. :confused:

If Disney were to that, it would open the door for every other grieving spouse, parent..ect.. to demand such things.

torquedork
01-02-2009, 05:02 PM
I heard this a while back.

Seems like the family Southern Christian Leadership Conference wanted the statue wanted to be put into Disneyland where they wanted everyone else to feel sorry for their loss for someone that was killed within the city limits of Anaheim by an officer. Give me a break. Sorry I don’t want to be going to Disneyland looking like a cemetery.

This may sound really cold, in a way I want to go to Disneyland to have fun, but not to mourn someone that was shot and killed by a police officer

leota's necklace
01-02-2009, 05:52 PM
It seems that the SCLC has Disneyland confused with, say, public property, instead of a privately-owned business.

Either that, or someone spiked their water. Either way, the request is insane.

Bytebear
01-02-2009, 05:54 PM
There are certainly more tragic deaths that actually occured on Disney property, of which there are several. I think this is just a ploy to get more sympathy by invoking the name of Disney.

torquedork
01-02-2009, 06:37 PM
These people gotta get themselve a life espeically SCLS

ChurroGirl
01-02-2009, 07:16 PM
I agree with Bytebear, there have been many more tragic things to happen ON Disney's Property, not in the city limits of Anaheim, that were horrific, not saying that the violent crime in Anahiem isnt horrific, but to get Disney, or try to, get Disney involved in this is just silly.

This may be mean or cold but, why not irrect a statue on the SCLC's property instead for the family? That, makes more sense to me.

Gone2Disneyland
01-03-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm sure the attorney and the SCLC brought up the Disneyland idea just because it would give them a greater range of publicity for their lawsuit against the city.
And we're talking about it. So it worked. :rolleyes: Now, I'm moving on.

pisces
01-03-2009, 10:17 AM
It seems like a legal tactic to gain leverage , and somehow make Disneyland an adverse party in the lawsuit against Anaheim ??

I think it would be funny if Disney goes along with the parents just to spite the City for not always ok-ing Disney projects.

It wouldn't hurt Disney to go along with the idea for a couple of days. I wouldn't do it, though, if I were running things. It sets a bad precedent and then anytime someone is killed they've gotta set up a memorial.

Katrina and NOLA !!!!

Burnt Toast
01-03-2009, 10:26 AM
With all due respect to the man killed and his family, he is unfortunately not the only nor will he likely be the last person who "didn't deserve to die", and I'm unclear why Disneyland would or should choose to single him out for a memorial statue or how having such a statue would prevent it from ever happening again.

Religious nutcases?

But the parents of the man, in conjunction with the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, are asking Disney to put the statue on Main Street - "it's about honoring a man who didn't deserve to die and preventing it from ever happening again".

Yup... religious nutcases.

torquedork
01-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Gee lets try to get Disneyland to put up statues of everyone in the town square that was killed by police departments and have these bible crack smokers to help. (lol).

DaDuckFan1955
01-03-2009, 04:48 PM
the lawyer mentions they want a statue to remind and possibly prevent this from occuring again. So the best possible place is in front of the Police Station since an Officer was the one who shot an innocent bystander, not hidden inside Disneyland....This way every day the whole Police department walks by the Statue, they will be reminded of this sad incident.

jenniebean
01-03-2009, 05:32 PM
I read through the first several pages of reader comments & didn't find an answer to my curiosity, so I'll ask here-- does anyone think Disneyland should put up a statue? Why? I can't think of a single legitimate argument for why Disney would take a stand on an incident/issue that has nothing to do with them.

KDCartoons
01-03-2009, 05:42 PM
I read through the first several pages of reader comments & didn't find an answer to my curiosity, so I'll ask here-- does anyone think Disneyland should put up a statue? Why? I can't think of a single legitimate argument for why Disney would take a stand on an incident/issue that has nothing to do with them.

Absolutely not. The request/demand is absurd.

Its like stating that, since a loved one died on the street in front of your house, they deserve to have a permanent memorial placed in your living room.
Its a ridiculous request and its utterly bizarre that a lawyer (with any sense in their head) would endorse this kind of thing for a client.

If the family wanted to truly honour the memory of their deceased loved one and "prevent this from ever happening again"--then why not petition instead for a memorial scholarship in the name of the deceased to the police academy.
This way the recipient of the scholarship is made aware of the circumstances of the bursary granted them, and it reminds them ( as a police trainee) of their responsibilities at the very start of their career.
Putting a memorial in an amusement/theme park that had nothing to do with the deceased, trivializes their death and memory.

torquedork
01-03-2009, 05:55 PM
What the heck do these people think Disneyland is? A Church or a Cemetery?

cstephens
01-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Its like stating that, since a loved one died on the street in front of your house, they deserve to have a permanent memorial placed in your living room.

Except that to make the analogy work better, the person didn't die on the street in front of your house, but rather, on a different street somewhere else in your city.

Drince88
01-04-2009, 08:44 AM
It seems like a legal tactic to gain leverage , and somehow make Disneyland an adverse party in the lawsuit against Anaheim ??
Katrina and NOLA !!!!

What in heavens name does Katrina and New Orleans have to do with this?

cstephens
01-04-2009, 03:44 PM
What in heavens name does Katrina and New Orleans have to do with this?

Did you miss that whole discussion at the time about how it was felt by some people on these boards that Disneyland should have been more sensitive to what was happening in New Orleans at the time of Katrina and done something like making New Orleans Square look like New Orleans at the time? I was wondering if Disney would agree to flooding NOS as a sign of solidarity.

Rockchalker
01-04-2009, 04:08 PM
If the parents wanted to have that DL connection for their son, why not just buy a brick in the esplanade (spelling)?

This just makes them look like idiots trying to drag DL's name into their lawsuit against Anaheim. I do think the lawsuit against Anaheim is justifiable, but again they look like idiots dragging DL into it.

Malcon10t
01-04-2009, 04:32 PM
If the parents wanted to have that DL connection for their son, why not just buy a brick in the esplanade (spelling)?

This just makes them look like idiots trying to drag DL's name into their lawsuit against Anaheim. I do think the lawsuit against Anaheim is justifiable, but again they look like idiots dragging DL into it.I agree with them looking like idiots by dragging DL into the fray. I have to wonder about their logic.

As for the lawsuit against Anaheim PD, I don't have enough information to make an informed opinion as to whether it is justified. This single article did not provide ANY information about the incident.

Drince88
01-05-2009, 04:23 AM
Did you miss that whole discussion at the time....

I must have missed that.

Rockchalker
01-05-2009, 09:44 AM
I agree with them looking like idiots by dragging DL into the fray. I have to wonder about their logic.

As for the lawsuit against Anaheim PD, I don't have enough information to make an informed opinion as to whether it is justified. This single article did not provide ANY information about the incident.

I was assuming! ;) And based my assumptions from this paragraph of the article....

Julian Alexander, 20, was shot and killed in his front yard by an officer in pursuit of burglary suspects Oct. 28. Later that day, Police Chief John Welter announced that Alexander was an innocent bystander.

Ohthatjeff
01-05-2009, 10:31 AM
What the heck do these people think Disneyland is? A Church or a Cemetery?

Don't be silly. Everyone knows it's a museum. :p

Nancy
01-05-2009, 02:57 PM
I was assuming! ;) And based my assumptions from this paragraph of the article....

As tragic as the accident was who's to say how it all came down. Newspapers are not 100% true 100% of the time. The only people who know are the people who were there to witnessed it.