PDA

View Full Version : Fastpass destroying magic?

Laffite
12-15-2002, 01:17 PM
I was listening to some DL sounds and I notice that a lot of the mp3 I have can't be heard at the park anymore, such as the Space Mountain Comm chat for the queue line. Then I realized why: it's because of FP. For fastpass, then have to cut off the former line for FP people to cut into the middle of the standby line, and this usually happens right before the line enter the show building. So, the standby people have to wait outside, and when everybody enter the building it's usually just walk through up to the station.

Here's my problem: I don't like the idea of waiting outside. This is where DL gets seperated from Magic Mountain: environment immersion. Back in the days, you used to wait inside the show building. Take Space Mountain for example. You go inside and you hear this eerie music and the rumbling of the coasters and the blue lights. You're in there long enough that by the time you get to the station your anticipation has built up enough to make the ride 10x more fun than what it just is.

You're going to think I'm crazy, but I miss the days of waiting in line in the Space Mountain tunnel, or being in the cave waiting for Indy (why bother showing the safety film anymore if you don't have to watch it?).

I know there are threads that debate the ups and downs of FP already, but I just want to raise another point of environment immersion. Perhaps it's already been raised before, if so I'm sorry you had to read through all that again. :)

Preston, a frustrated pAPer.
(this post was not proof-read before posting)

cindanzr
12-15-2002, 02:16 PM
okay - I'll throw my two cents in. On the one hand, I do miss the enviroment immersion, especially on Indy. On the other hand, Splash Moutnain is the worst for standby. The line moves so slowly that you never want to see the inside of the cave(mountain) again. Sadly, I have no answers. But it does seem a shame to miss out on such wonderfully designed enviroments!

Laffite
12-15-2002, 02:31 PM
I would have no problem with FP if they find a way to make standby like it was before and put FP line somewhere else that doesn't cut into standby, like through the exit.

I know that some people love FP because it has its own advantages (heck, as much as I hate it, I use it on busy days like Saturdays), but there are some problems with it.

cindanzr
12-15-2002, 02:40 PM
As my daughter observed on our last visit, FP works great when you have one and breeze right through and it stinks when you don't and are stuck watching others sail on by :)

ldsguy
12-15-2002, 09:49 PM
Fastpass works for both those that use it and those that don't, if you don't your qwait times are still shroter than they used to be, as fro Space Mountain, I would expect to see a que designed for Fastpass after it's major rehab, to where you will be able to wait inside for the majority of it, look at other attractions that have opened since Fastpass as an example: Califronia Screamin', the new Autopia.....also Haunted Mansion doesn't take away, unless you use Fastpass on a busy day, then you don'tg et to see the entire que, but such is life.

smd4
12-16-2002, 07:43 AM
You've hit the nail on the head, Laffite. Things WERE better when you could be immersed in the environment, which is after all, called the "pre-show." It's kinda like walking into a movie that's half over.

ldsguy
12-16-2002, 06:10 PM
You still can be immersed in the pre-show, but it requires redesigning ques, like I said, let's see what happens with space mountain after the major rehab.