PDA

View Full Version : Churro Lovers Unite!

Pages : [1] 2

Twinsmom
12-15-2002, 01:08 PM
Okay, so I don't know what these churro things are, forgive me, and please, clue me in..... I keep reading how much you guys love these and before I leave for our trip, I thought I really should know what I will be looking for!;)

So spill............

Laffite
12-15-2002, 01:26 PM
lol. I think they're pretty good considering I can't pronouce "churro" properly. :D They cost $2.75 (used to be $2.50) and they are sold on ODVs. There are bunch of them around ROA. You can ask any CMs where you can get churros and they'll point to the nerest ODV. As for what they actually look like, well, I don't know how to describe them exactly :(

Preston

Blanche
12-15-2002, 01:33 PM
Ohmygosh! You've never had a churro? You are in for a real treat. Basically it's a deep fried pastry, about 12" long and and an inch or so in diameter. They are made ahead of time and heated just before you buy it so it's hot and rolled in sugar and cinnamon. There are carts selling them all over the parks at DLR. We just returned from WDW where I guess they have stopped selling them - I was so disappointed. My favorite time to eat one is at night on the way out of the park. Sometimes they have other flavors, like apple, but cinnamon is the bestest! Enkoy!

HBTiggerFan
12-15-2002, 01:33 PM
They are brown and cinnamonie and yummie. They look like dough pressed through a star shaped cookie press or frosting press.

mmmmm churros

Andrew
12-15-2002, 02:06 PM
A pic of churros (http://www.tacojohns.com/graphics/Churro.jpg)

Here's another one, from MP's own photo archives:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/archive/up011602f.jpg

Twinsmom
12-15-2002, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys for curing my curiosity! They look (thanks to Andrew) and sound incredibly yummy! Thanks to HB Tigger Fan, Blanche, and Laffite!

Hey, anybody got coffee to go with my Churro???

;)

MouseWife
12-15-2002, 06:03 PM
The only thing I would add is that if you get one that is cold and hard, TAKE IT BACK!! This is not a way to get your first impression of a churro.

I don't know if these really would taste like them, but, we used to take the Pillsbury can biscuit dough, put a hole in it {ala donut} and drop them into a pan of hot oil. They cooked really fast, turning it over when it was golden. Then we would roll it in sugar. I wonder if cinammon and sugar would make it churro like?

Okay, yes, I am hungry and I didn't get a churro when we went.
:(

Enjoy!!

SusanP.
12-15-2002, 07:23 PM
I remember the good old days when a churro was $1.75! Also, frozen bananas, but that's another subject.

Here's my quick churro story. My son is 4 1/2, and when my husband and I had to go to a no-children-allowed wedding, my girlfriend took him to Disneyland for the evening.

She says, "Hey, wanna get a churro?"
He says, "Nah, my mom says I can't eat sugar. Can I get a cotton candy?"

ldsguy
12-15-2002, 09:44 PM
They cost $2.75 (used to be $2.50)

I remember the good old days when a churro was $1.75!
Personally, I am 25 and can remember when they were only $1.00.....anyone remember lower prices?

dannyc
12-15-2002, 11:05 PM
I had my first churro last week at DCA. What cracked me up was the "holiday dipping sauce" they display with a sticker on the cart. My wife had seen a cart earlier and wanted the chocolate "holiday sauce", so while she and my daughter were preoccupied, I snuck off to get her one. When I ordered the sauce, the vendor pulled out a small plastic bowl and opened her cart. Expecting her to ladle out some sort of warm yummy fudge sauce, I was very surprised to see her pull out an ordinary plastic bottle of Hershey's chocolate syrup. She rather sheepishly commented "Chocolate holiday sauce - straight from the bottle" as it was squeezed out from the nearly-empty bottle with its distinctive comical "farty" sound.
I am curious to see what the caramel "holiday sauce" is. Has anyone tried it?

bluepearl
12-15-2002, 11:58 PM
I haven't tasted any of the dipping sauces. But if you go to DCA, get the chocolate churro at Flik's Fun Fair! I love those things!

Laffite
12-16-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by bluepearl
I haven't tasted any of the dipping sauces. But if you go to DCA, get the chocolate churro at Flik's Fun Fair! I love those things!

Did somebody say "Disney's California Adventure"? Why, I'd rather go to a maximum security prison!

lol. Sorry. I *had* to do it :)

Preston

Veritech-1s
12-16-2002, 12:40 AM
you pronounce churro chew-row, thats how you'd say it if you speak spanish, acceptable gringo way would be chur-o, pretty obvious really. its not a charo, or a cheerio, or chorizo, its a churro lol, cinnamon stick is also acceptable lol. That brings us to what is it, well basically, its a donut stick covered in cinnamon sugar, its fried a little more though, its crispier on the outside than a donut, personally I dont see why there is such a churro frenzy. no churrito-time please. oh yes and if it is cold please dont take it back after you walk away notice it right then and there, nothing more annoying than someone walking away and then coming back after 6 bites then realizing its cold.

Laffite
12-16-2002, 12:47 AM
Well, I'm Hawaiian and since English is my 3rd language, I have an excuse to not being able to pronouce anything correctly ;)

BTW, for me personally, I pronouce it shearo, or maybe it's cheero, depending on my mood :D

Preston

Bill Catherall
12-16-2002, 06:39 AM
I used to have a recipe for home made churros. My wife has a churro press and I think it has a recipe printed on the side. I'll have to dig it out later and look.

Anyway, they're made mostly of egg. That's what makes them so light and fluffy.

mad4mky
12-16-2002, 08:06 AM
My youngest daughter's food staple while at DLR is the Churro. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner...Churros, Churros, Churros. The kid has such a sugar high...it takes us days to bring her back down!!:eek: ;)

RStar
12-16-2002, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by dannyc
She rather sheepishly commented "Chocolate holiday sauce - straight from the bottle" as it was squeezed out from the nearly-empty bottle with its distinctive comical "farty" sound.

Maybe she should have called it "Holiday Farty sauce":D .......

I forget the brand name, but the manufacturer of the Churros use to also sell them in a bag of like 36 in the frozen food section of Smart and Final. I tried them but without the vinding machine to cook them properly they are hard to get crispy all the way around. And I couldn't seem to get the cinnamon and sugar quite right. Or maybe it's the atmosphere that makes them taste better at the park (even if you can get them for only 12 cents each at the store:eek: ).;)

RStar
12-16-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by mad4mky
My youngest daughter's food staple while at DLR is the Churro. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner...Churros, Churros, Churros. The kid has such a sugar high...it takes us days to bring her back down!!:eek: ;)

Actually, there really isn't a whole lot of sugar on them. Maybe a teaspoon or two at the most. That's the equivalant of one small piece of hard candy like a jolly rancher. A soda is 1/3 sugar. Pour out the soda, fill the bottle 1/3 the way with granulated sugar to visualize.:eek:

And BTW Twinsmom,

To find a Churros cart, just follow the cinnamon toast smell!

Twinsmom
12-16-2002, 09:48 AM
Snif, snif, snif......what's that smell....oooh, yum, its the churros! I can't wait!:D

Brat
12-16-2002, 03:48 PM
From the time we get to the parking structure untill we get to a churro cart my son & husband chant "churros! churros! churros!" The boy collects change and calls it his churro money.

hbquikcomjamesl
12-16-2002, 04:00 PM
I forget the brand name, but the manufacturer of the Churros use to also sell them in a bag of like 36 in the frozen food section of Smart and Final.
Tio Pepe. Anyplace else that sells them (including the tiny handful of places in WDW that have them) displays the Tio Pepe logo.

Bill Catherall
12-18-2002, 09:00 PM
Here's a Churro recipe that is on the side of my wife's Churro press that she got in Argentina. This is a different recipe than the ones I used to make. In fact, there is no egg in this one.

---------------------------
Mix together one cup of water and one cup of milk. Set to boil. Add one teaspoon salt and one teaspoon lemon peal for more flavor. When it boils remove from heat. Add 2 cups of flour until mixture forms a dough.

Fill the container and press out letting it fall into hot oil. Fry until golden brown. Remove churro and set to drain oil. Roll in sugar and cinnamon.
---------------------------

If you don't have a Churro press, I've used a pastry bag before with a large star tip. Or you can improvise using a large ziplock bag and cutting off a corner. You won't get the star shape, but it tastes the same.

I haven't personally tested this recipe, but my wife has and says it tastes great.

jslivinski
12-27-2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by MouseWife
I don't know if these really would taste like them, but, we used to take the Pillsbury can biscuit dough, put a hole in it {ala donut} and drop them into a pan of hot oil. They cooked really fast, turning it over when it was golden. Then we would roll it in sugar. I wonder if cinammon and sugar would make it churro like?
I remember making those, they were always so good and yes I would say a churro taste very similar.

Originally posted by bluepearl
I haven't tasted any of the dipping sauces. But if you go to DCA, get the chocolate churro at Flik's Fun Fair! I love those things! That sounds yummy, I'll need to get one next week.

screamin4ever
12-28-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Veritech-1s
you pronounce churro chew-row, thats how you'd say it if you speak spanish, acceptable gringo way would be chur-o, pretty obvious really. its not a charo, or a cheerio, or chorizo, its a churro lol, cinnamon stick is also acceptable lol. That brings us to what is it, well basically, its a donut stick covered in cinnamon sugar, its fried a little more though, its crispier on the outside than a donut, personally I dont see why there is such a churro frenzy. no churrito-time please. oh yes and if it is cold please dont take it back after you walk away notice it right then and there, nothing more annoying than someone walking away and then coming back after 6 bites then realizing its cold.

I thought spanish would be churrrrr-oh. Get the tongue rolling? Guess all those years of Spanish were wasted on me.

HBTiggerFan
12-28-2002, 10:22 PM
So did you find the churros?? how were they??