PDA

View Full Version : Matterhorn refurbishment starts Feb 9th 2009 and other refurb news

Pages : [1] 2

lnsemsf
12-31-2008, 10:21 AM
For anybody interested in updated refurbishments, the Matterhorn is going down on Feb 9th. Due to the calander now being day by day, no end date is posted.

While the monthly view in Disneyland's calander page on their website is not up, you can pick any date up to about 40 days ahead of the current date. Every day a new day is added with complete show schedules and refurbishment. It's as of today showing through Feb 10th.

In other news, Peter Pan, and the Stage Door cafe are removed from the rehab schedule, and It's a Small World comes back up on Feb 5th, 9 days earlier than originally scheduled.

I hope this will all be included in the next park update as well, but that's a week away and wanted to let people know who were thinking about trip planning what was going on.

Phantom2006
12-31-2008, 04:49 PM
Didn't they just do a large refurbishment of the Matterhorn a few years ago?

lnsemsf
12-31-2008, 04:58 PM
From what i've read there was supposed to be a big refurbishment early in 2009 and new cars were going to be installed. Screamscape said however that the budget was not approved. Hopefully that means this will just be a short closure. I'd hate for Matterhorn and Pirates to be down at the same time.

jenniebean
12-31-2008, 05:03 PM

Yes... It was closed at least past September or November of 2006 because I know I didn't ride it for the first time (in 6 years or so) until February 2007.

PanFan
01-02-2009, 09:16 PM
I don't have a definite end date for the Matterhorn closure, but I believe it's only supposed to be a week long. Don't be surprised if it is longer, though.

dznyphreak
01-03-2009, 10:48 AM

You mean when they opened it up and reinforced the internal structure? That was fun to look at...:|

I wouldn't mind seeing the thing get some "plussing" as they call it. New cars, new effects, new AA's...it would be nice to see.

Darkbeer
01-03-2009, 11:02 AM
This is a SHORT 4 day refurb, as I understand it, to work on the plan to add "locking" seatbelts to keep DOSH/Disney Lawyers happy.

Since February 13th is the start of the Presidents Day Holiday weekend. (and one of only 2 weekends that Disney plans to offer Fireworks in early 2009, due to the expected large crowds), last thing Disney wants is a large capacity attraction closed.

If it was a long term closure, it would start after President's Day weekend.

jenniebean
01-03-2009, 05:53 PM
This is a SHORT 4 day refurb, as I understand it, to work on the plan to add "locking" seatbelts to keep DOSH/Disney Lawyers happy.
Honestly, those non-locking seatbelts always give me one of the best laughs of the day. Make sure that lapbar is down & locked into place on Snow White*, but Matterhorn? Eh. :rolleyes:
(*I'm aware the bars are there to prevent people from getting out... but nonetheless, seriously?)

Snareski29
01-07-2009, 11:58 AM
If I have my dates right, I was told when called Disneyland that it would be closed Feb 9th-12th and Feb 23-27th.

Rockchalker
01-07-2009, 02:05 PM
Honestly, those non-locking seatbelts always give me one of the best laughs of the day. Make sure that lapbar is down & locked into place on Snow White*, but Matterhorn? Eh. :rolleyes:
(*I'm aware the bars are there to prevent people from getting out... but nonetheless, seriously?)

Isn't there an urban legend that someone unlocked their seatbelt, stood up and promptly lost their head???? :eek:

Bytebear
01-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Isn't there an urban legend that someone unlocked their seatbelt, stood up and promptly lost their head???? :eek:

Not a rumor, although she didn't get decapitated:

On January 3, 1984, 48-year-old Dolly Regina Young of Fremont, California was killed when she was thrown from a Matterhorn Bobsleds car and struck by the next oncoming bobsled. An investigation showed that her seatbelt was found unbuckled after the accident. It is unclear whether Young deliberately unfastened her belt or if the seatbelt malfunctioned. (this is from MouseTales, but quoted from Wikipedia)

Here is some info on the court case:

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/latimes/access/64485100.html?dids=64485100:64485100&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Jul+17%2C+1985&author=JEFFREY+A.+PERLMAN&pub=Los+Angeles+Times+(pre-1997+Fulltext)&edition=&startpage=1&desc=Dannemeyer%2C+Dornan+Oppose+Regulation+Safety +of+Park+Rides+Stirs+Fight+in+Congress

Also from Wikipedia:

In 1964, 15-year-old Mark Maples of Long Beach, California, was injured after he stood up in the Matterhorn Bobsleds and fell out. It is reported that his restraint was undone by his ride companion. He died three days later as a result of these injuries.

Niwel
01-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Charles Darwin ... Paging Charles Darwin (www.darwinawards.com/)

Maybe they'll put in shock absorbers -- some of those turns are tough....

Rockchalker
01-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Not a rumor, although she didn't get decapitated:

On January 3, 1984, 48-year-old Dolly Regina Young of Fremont, California was killed when she was thrown from a Matterhorn Bobsleds car and struck by the next oncoming bobsled. An investigation showed that her seatbelt was found unbuckled after the accident. It is unclear whether Young deliberately unfastened her belt or if the seatbelt malfunctioned. (this is from MouseTales, but quoted from Wikipedia)

Here is some info on the court case:

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/latimes/access/64485100.html?dids=64485100:64485100&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Jul+17%2C+1985&author=JEFFREY+A.+PERLMAN&pub=Los+Angeles+Times+(pre-1997+Fulltext)&edition=&startpage=1&desc=Dannemeyer%2C+Dornan+Oppose+Regulation+Safety +of+Park+Rides+Stirs+Fight+in+Congress

Also from Wikipedia:

In 1964, 15-year-old Mark Maples of Long Beach, California, was injured after he stood up in the Matterhorn Bobsleds and fell out. It is reported that his restraint was undone by his ride companion. He died three days later as a result of these injuries.

Interesting.... A little off-track, but I remember a tour we took back in 2000. The guide said no one had ever been killed in Disneyland. Does that mean that the Disney folks rush them through the gates and pronounce them dead outside of the park?

Charles Darwin ... Paging Charles Darwin

Maybe they'll put in shock absorbers -- some of those turns are tough....

I look forward to the Darwin Awards each year!

Bytebear
01-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Interesting.... A little off-track, but I remember a tour we took back in 2000. The guide said no one had ever been killed in Disneyland. Does that mean that the Disney folks rush them through the gates and pronounce them dead outside of the park?

That's the real rumor, that Disney tries to cover up deaths at the park, but really, they haven't. When you have millions of people visiting the parks, someone is bound to die on property, even if it is by natural causes. According to Wikipedia, twelve guests and one employee have died inside the parks. But I believe the number is higher, simply because when a natural death occurs, it is probably not covered by the media.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidents_at_Disney_parks

stan4d_steph
01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Snopes is a better source (http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/deaths.asp). Also, Mouse Tales.

jenniebean
01-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Also, Mouse Tales.
The book? I found it in our browsing room freshman year (room in each dorm for quiet studying where girls can abandon/donate books if they want-- the collection has grown over the years) & was totally hooked, although I remember a lot of whining in it. A few months later, it was gone :(.

9volt
01-11-2009, 09:50 AM
We were at the park yesterday and noticed the area right in front of the tomorrowland entrance has some kind of construction/refurbishment going on. The area was cordoned off by temporary walls. Anyone know what's happening there? Forgive me if this has already been brought up.

Darkbeer
01-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Disney is planning to replace all the Trolley tracks and make major repairs on the street pavement in general. They plan to do this for ALL of Main Street in sections for the next couple of months. Disney just decided to start at Tomorrowland.

lnsemsf
01-12-2009, 10:46 PM
New refurbs starting Feb 22nd
Closed for Refurbishment:
Jedi Training Academy

And far more on the 23rd

Jedi Training Academy
Mark Twain Riverboat
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Stage Door - Ice House
Westward Ho Wagon - Construction Fence in Location

houseofmouse
01-13-2009, 07:54 AM
New refurbs starting Feb 22nd
Jedi Training Academy
Stage Door - Ice House
Westward Ho Wagon - Construction Fence in Location

How do you refurb a show?? Ice house? Does that mean the whole Stage Door or what is the ice house?? Why would they put a construction fence on the schedule?

explodingboy
01-13-2009, 09:46 AM
theres many a rumors & sites that talk about disney rushing seriously injured guests off the property so they arent pronounced "dead" on the grounds, because this would entail the park being temp shut down for investigation or whatever may happen. personally i dont want to believe this, but part of me does. i do think that disney cares for theyre guests & the safety of everyone in the park, but i also think that theyll do whatever it takes to avoid another lawsuit or anything that may follow a tragedy in the park. im rambling, and i may just be crazy but anyway, thats my thinking..

Bytebear
01-13-2009, 10:06 AM
theres many a rumors & sites that talk about disney rushing seriously injured guests off the property so they arent pronounced "dead" on the grounds, because this would entail the park being temp shut down for investigation or whatever may happen. personally i dont want to believe this, but part of me does. i do think that disney cares for theyre guests & the safety of everyone in the park, but i also think that theyll do whatever it takes to avoid another lawsuit or anything that may follow a tragedy in the park. im rambling, and i may just be crazy but anyway, thats my thinking..

I am sure they want to avoid OSHA as much as possible, but it gets harder and harder every year. I know after a tram accident, it takes several months before they start using the loading area closer to the escelators, and now it seems like it is permenantly unused for loading. I also remember one day going to the park and they literally had a CM for every single loading zone. It was the most CMs I had ever seen at the loading area, so I knew something happened, unless it was a mass training session.

lnsemsf
01-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Maybe they are doing a refurb on the original construction fence, and they have to put a new fence around it for repainting the original fence.

It's the first time i've ever seen "fence in location" posted to any disney refurb schedule.

lnsemsf
01-14-2009, 10:49 AM
We have another Feb. Closure starting the 23rd with no posted end date...

Goofy's Playhouse

That's it, Jedi Academy AND Goofy's Playhouse closed. I'm canceling my trip!

lnsemsf
01-20-2009, 12:22 AM
It appears that after Matterhorn opens up and operates on the 28th and 1st, it will close again on March 2nd.