View Full Version : Spirit of Disneyland Begins December 16, 2002

FOOD_AND_DRUG
12-14-2002, 08:15 AM
Alaska Airlines Reveals 'Spirit of Disneyland'
Friday December 13, 4:02 pm ET
First Domestic Aircraft Featuring Disney Characters
Erik Lindbergh and Mickey Mouse Celebrate Inaugural Flight

SEATTLE--Dec. 13, 2002--
WHAT: The Eskimo that has adorned the tail of all Alaska Airlines aircraft for over a quarter century is taking a well deserved vacation -- at least on one aircraft that is. In his place, the faces of Disney's most recognized theme park characters -- Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy -- take to the skies on a newly-painted Alaska Airlines Boeing 737-400 named "Spirit of Disneyland." The aircraft will make its inaugural flight from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport to John Wayne-Orange County Airport on Monday, December 16. This is the first time a major U.S. airline has worked with Walt Disney Parks & Resorts to paint an aircraft with Disney theme park characters.

WHO: To appropriately inaugurate the "Spirit of Disneyland," Erik Lindbergh, Seattle resident and grandson of famed "Spirit of St. Louis" aviator Charles Lindbergh, is joining representatives from both companies and Disney characters in Alaska Airlines' Seattle hangar for ribbon cutting ceremonies.

WHERE: Interested members of the media should meet at the Alaska Airlines Corporate Headquarters, located at 19300 Pacific Highway South, Seattle. Media will sign in and receive credentials in the front lobby. A van will transport media to the hangar for the event and then return later to Alaska's headquarters.

WHEN:
The event will begin at 9 a.m. with coffee and cookies. Presentations by representatives from Disneyland and Alaska Airlines will follow at 9:45 a.m.. At 10 a.m. the "Spirit of Disneyland" aircraft, featuring an all new, custom-designed paint scheme, will arrive.

The aircraft will move to Gate D12 at 11:30 for a ribbon cutting ceremony at 12:25 p.m., after which it will depart as Flight 430 for Santa Ana/Orange County.

Disney characters will join in the celebration at the hangar and the airport terminal.

"We're talking about some real Disneyland magic," says Danna Maros, director special projects. "So our employees are in for a very special morning!"

The aircraft will be met by Disneyland characters on arrival in Santa Ana/Orange County at 3:47 p.m.

A second ribbon cutting ceremony is scheduled for 4 p.m. at Santa Ana/Orange County.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alaska Airlines
Jack Evans, 206/433-3134
or
Disneyland Press & Publicity
Jeannine O'Malley, 714/781-4500

Lost Boy
12-14-2002, 09:47 AM
Now that sounds like fun. I wish I could go. I love it when DISNEYLAND gets some publicity and stuff. WDW has all these tie ins back in Florida, it's about time our Resort out here got in on the act. I hope the papers down here cover it. I would love to see a picture of the plane. What a nice name too. "Spirit of Disneyland" says it all.:D

LifelongAngelsFan
12-14-2002, 08:02 PM
Our family just flew this airplane sans the Disney characters for our Thanksgiving trip to DLR.

MonorailMan
12-15-2002, 07:02 AM
Can I get on free because it's my birthday? :~D

SO many disney things have happend on the 16th in the past. Keep it coming! :D