PDA

View Full Version : Disney Marriage

ZippityDooGuy
12-13-2002, 10:33 PM
HI all you Mpers! Im headed to Disneyland from the 1-8 with my girlfriend of two years and Im going to pop the big question! Were both huge disney fans, but neither of us have been there in awhile (about 9 years for me, and 15 for her). I was wondering if there are any special places, shows, etc that I could do it to get the atmosphere. I would have done it on the submarine ride, as it was her favorite, but I understand that its closed. Any info would be appreciated

HBTiggerFan
12-13-2002, 11:00 PM
Blue Bayou (restruant inside pirates)
during the fireworks
in front of the castle

congrads and good luck! :D

Rallymonkey23
12-13-2002, 11:08 PM
Or Snow Whites Grotto?

In front of the castle is a good idea. I remember waiting for the fireworks one time there and this guy and gal walked up to the front of the castle (obviously the guy talked to a CM about this because we all know they have a rope up before the fireworks) and puposed. She said yes (obvious cause he put the ring on her finger) and the crowd clapped and all. I bet they will remember that moment for the rest of thier lives.

Good luck with the purposal Zippitydooguy! I'm sure whatever location you choose, it will be magical for you both. :)

mystycalchyk
12-14-2002, 08:11 AM
my hubby proposed to me at dland. it was perfect. we went to mickeys house in toontown and after we got our picture snapped with the big cheese himself, and i turned to walk away, mickey motioned for me to lean in close....and he pointed to his scorcerers hat on the table beside him, and as i leaned in to look at whatever he wa pointing at he lifted his hat and there was the jewel box opend up with my engagement ring...sweet hubby had arrranged it all for months prior....was perfect IMHO

course we then had to have a disney themed wedding and , again of course went to disneyland for our honeymoon.

*googly sigh*

dsnyredhead
12-14-2002, 08:33 AM
My husband proposed to me on It's a Small World. I heard someone got engaged at Pirates. I know others have used Snow Whites Grotto, Tiki Room and Coke Corner

Laffite
12-14-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by dsnyredhead
My husband proposed to me on It's a Small World. I heard someone got engaged at Pirates. I know others have used Snow Whites Grotto, Tiki Room and Coke Corner

and the wishing well as well..

JeffG
12-14-2002, 03:40 PM
The wishing well and Snow White's Grotto are the same place...

-Jeff

kisroo
12-14-2002, 04:18 PM
I always thought it would be great if someone proposed to their significant other while going down the huge drop of Splash. Not only would it be poetic, since you are both "taking the plunge", but it would be caught on film for all to see!!! ;)

I always wanted Mr Kisroo to propose like this...but instead, we honeymooned there for 8 days! Hey! After "livin' in sin" :eek:! for 9 yrs~I took what I could get!!! :p
J/K~he's a great guy who really does indulge *most* of my Disney fantasies! ;)

Or, there's always the Fantasmic Dessert Buffet...very romantic!!! I'm sure she'll love wherever you choose, you'll be at the "Happiest Place"! Good luck! :)
Kisroo

AVP
12-14-2002, 04:20 PM
My husband proposed to me at the Easter Brunch at the Disneyland Hotel. He had *wanted* to have Eeyore or Mickey bring me my ring in an Easter basket, but only Minnie was available.

I wasn't sure why Minnie brought a basket to the table, and it took me a few seconds to even notice the ring box in the basket - I was trying to figure out why the Tweedles and Pluto were suddenly hovering over me.

I finally opened the box, Tony proposed, the Tweedles threw candy easter egg confetti ALL over the place, (they managed to get three or four tables around us in the process), and Pluto hugged Tony SO hard his glasses broke.

After that, the Mad Hatter dragged us both on stage and announced our engagement to the rest of the room. (And I still joke that Minnie proposed to me.)

OK, to answer your question - since the Sub ride was her favorite, what about proposing at the little "Photo Spot" that's on the edge of the Lagoon? Maybe during the fireworks?

Depending on how fancy you want to get, you can call Guest Relations for assistance. I know they probably have a few ideas.

AVP

disneygeek87
12-14-2002, 04:21 PM
I think a good time to do it is after the Fireworks with the snow. Good Luck!

Lani
12-14-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by AVP
(And I still joke that Minnie proposed to me.)Oh AVP, that's so sweet! Thank you for sharing; I didn't know that. Awwwww. :)

PS: Alex proposed at the Snow White Grotto -- I don't think at the time, that he knew it was such a popular spot. He says he was considering proposing during Fantasmic (as we had tickets for the dessert buffet), but I guess he thought the Grotto was most quiet and romantic. Awwwwww. [gads, I'm getting mooshy)

cindanzr
12-14-2002, 05:25 PM
All of the above ideas are great! No one has proposed to me at DL but I think besides the above postings I would add Napa Rose restaurant at the Grand Californian. But I think Snow White's Grotto at Fireworks time would be great. You could ask her if she would make your wish come true, etc.

AVP
12-14-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Lani
He says he was considering proposing during Fantasmic (as we had tickets for the dessert buffet)

That was actually Tony's original plan - a whole group of our friends had booked the balcony that Saturday night, and he was *supposed* to propose then. But I found out about it, and he really wanted it to be a surprise, so he did it the next day.

AVP

Lani
12-14-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by cindanzr
...I think Snow White's Grotto at Fireworks time would be great. You could ask her if she would make your wish come true, etc. Does it get very loud during the Believe show? It's also a bit dark, huh? Just a bit of warning -- when Alex proposed, he did so by presenting a card to me. It had some wonderful things written in it (which allowed him to be more eloquent and he didn't have to worry about blundering it verbally), except that it was starting to get dark, so it took me a while to read everything! I remember squinting... :D

Not Afraid
12-14-2002, 08:48 PM
Remember, Snow White's Grotto is roped off for Fireworks.

The end of the evening in that area or around the Castle in general can be wonderful. I good friend of ours proposed to his wife in front of the castle at closing. They lurked around until everyone was gone then, when the moment was right, he proposed. Security knew something was up and kept their distance. I still get teary-eyed thinking about it.

I've also witnessed a couple who made arrangements at the Gallery to have the 2nd balcony to themselves. He proposed during the fireworks.

cstephens
12-14-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by ZippityDooGuy
HI all you Mpers! Im headed to Disneyland from the 1-8 with my girlfriend of two years and Im going to pop the big question! Were both huge disney fans, but neither of us have been there in awhile (about 9 years for me, and 15 for her). I was wondering if there are any special places, shows, etc that I could do it to get the atmosphere. I would have done it on the submarine ride, as it was her favorite, but I understand that its closed. Any info would be appreciated

I'd say try to think of another place or attraction that has special meaning for you as I think that would have more impact. Or even though you can't ride the subs, maybe you can do it in a spot overlooking the lagoon. My husband proposed to me at DL in a place that was particularly meaningful to us, though not somewhere that's on everyone's list.

saturday97
12-15-2002, 06:53 AM
My friends got engaged at the Blue Bayou and it sounded really romantic. She got a special dessert with the ring on a tray.

RStar
12-16-2002, 11:04 AM
Proposal During fireworks:

"Honey will you marry me?"

"Huh?"

"I said will you marry me?"

"Huh?"

"Oh, never mind. Ouch, get off my leg mister!"

:D

I would pick Snow Whites Grotto.

I saw one where a guy got the ring to the candy shop ahead of time, and as they stopped by for a carmel apple (her favorite) when she got her apple, the ring was on the stick. She look at it and said, "What's this?" Then she looked at him and saw his big grin, and she was screaming and dancing all over the place for like 5 minutes. Real cool..........

Morrigoon
12-17-2002, 02:56 AM
Okay, I have a couple:

The first I've suggested before, and a friend's fiancee did it, and it worked great.

You get someone else in on the act - either people you're at the park with (the fiancee in question used his parents), or a helpful CM (in this case you have to explain it really quick though!)

"spontaneously" decide that you'd like to get a picture with your love in front of the castle. (Have your "helper" snap a quick series of photos: before-surprise!-after.) Start to pose with her (p #1), but oh wait, you need to fix something first (pull the ring out of your pocket quickly and drop to one knee) (p #2). After you've successfully gotten engaged, get another photo (p #3).

The newlyweds who did this have the series of pictures in a frame together, it's really cute!
The second idea wasn't actually done at Disneyland, but could be with just a little preplanning. The guy got a glass plate and had a really lovely proposal engraved in it, along with the date. He took her out to dinner at a restaurant he'd already given the plate to. They had a lovely dinner, and the service was not lacking, but "due to a shortage of their regular dessert plates," her dessert came on a glass plate. When she finished the dessert, he made sure she got a good look at the plate. Now they have this lovely keepsake of the evening.

Now, if your love isn't the dessert type, I strongly recommend you get it on a dinner plate!
Here's a newish idea: Splash Mountain. Now, this will only work if the CMs won't delete it. I would hope they wouldn't.

Get a large square of white cloth (at least as big as two sheets of notebook paper, preferably bigger). With a fat BLACK Sharpie or Marks-A-Lot (permanent markers) write MARRY ME on the cloth. It's very important that you make each line doubly or triply thick, so it will show up!

Remember when stowing it away to do it where your lady isn't going to come across it. A jacket pocket, the very bottom of your personal backpack, etc. Try to sit behind her, but in the front couple of seats in the log. This isn't essential, but you'll be closer to the camera, and with you behind her, she's less likely to know what you did until the photos. As your log is climbing up, get the cloth out, make sure you're holding it the right way (by the top corners, etc), and above all, BE READY FOR THE CAMERA! Remember it's off to the left, so hold the cloth high and to the left a bit so the person in front of you (her) doesn't block it. After the ride, INSIST on waiting for your picture with her. If it would help, prearrange some silly pose that you two will supposedly do together, so she's looking forward to the picture. (this could be really funny, depending on what you get her to do! Plan ahead of time for this one)

jnglskp
12-17-2002, 11:18 AM
I am a CM at the resort, and there is a special planter in front of the castle off to the west and if you ask one of the CM's working the guest control in front of the castle if you could sit in the "Wedding Planter" because you are proposing to your girl, they will usually say yes - you will have better luck if you look for a lead - they have a tie and a radio with them. When I was working castle guest control for the fireworks I had this happen to me on two occasions. The planter is really nice, it's all private and stuff, and they put chairs in there for you. It would certainly be unique.