PDA

View Full Version : MAJOR Disneyland Resort Entertainment Cuts!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Darkbeer
12-23-2008, 05:44 PM
As first mentioned by me at MiceAge on December 15th ...

Entertainment cuts are coming to Princess Fantasy Faire

The Princess Fantasy Faire staff has been informed that all the non-revenue generators will be eliminated, including most of the support staff as of January 5th, 2009. Most of the events in the stage area will no longer be offered.

Of course, the Meet and Greet with the PhotoPass photographers will remain, as will the merchandise area with the face painting, and the Enchanted Cottage food stand also will remain open.

It is expected that Disney will also cut back on other entertainment offerings to try and cut back on labor costs.

Well, Disneyland Resort Entertainment is getting more MAJOR cuts...

Based on Disneyland.com

DCA is getting some major cuts...

Aladdin is going on Hiatus as of Monday, January 5th.

HSM:3 will go to a Friday through Sunday only schedule (might be offered on some Monday Holidays).

Pixar Play Parade will remain at 5 days a week (Wednesday through Sunday)

Drawn to the Magic is on Hiatus

Brother Bear will remain (Friday through Tuesday).

Playhouse Disney will remain at 7 days a week.

As for Disneyland..

NO Parade as of January 5th for the foreseeable future (my educated guess, mid March for Spring Break - "Celebrate Today"

No Fantasmic! as of January 5th

Remember Fireworks not offered until MLK, Jr. weekend (a couple of weeks off, then just weekends).

Just WOW!!!

Andrew
12-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Gosh, it almost seems like I've read that somewhere else (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=dl081222xx#news5).

olegc
12-23-2008, 06:07 PM
well, no matter what, this is a significant cutback - and one where I think the Park management is banking on people coming anyway and being satisfied with what they are offered. It would be interesting to know if bookings are way down for the 1st quarter (which I suspect they are) and in anticipation of additional drop offs in attendance.

To me - the whole notion of having all these other folks come with one birthday person in 2009 is out the window for now. Unless, of course, they take the pressler tactic and just claim people will come no matter what they do -including closing lots of stuff. After entertainment, I can foresee a lot of the food venues to be open late or closed early (or both - or closed completely) and sticking with cart food. Can Bengal Barbeque's "hiatus" be far behind. That's ok - according to park management I should be satisfied with a Mickey pretzel and a giant pickle.

cstephens
12-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Some of that stuff doesn't seem like that major a cutback to me - Drawn to the Magic and Brother Bear? Most people don't even know about those things.

As for the other items, I'd be curious as to what they normally offer this time of year since I don't pay attention.

But in any case, lots of companies are going through cutbacks. I don't see Disneyland as being an exception.

FolsomFan
12-23-2008, 07:34 PM
The only one I remotely care about is Aladdin since we did not see it yet.

We are not big on parades, although it was nice to go on rides when most other people were watching them.

Darkbeer
12-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Gosh, it almost seems like I've read that somewhere else (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=dl081222xx#news5).

Yes, David Koenig mentioned it in his blog on December 17th, 2 days after I mentioned it...

houseofmouse
12-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Well just think how happy we will all be when the economy picks up again and all those things come back!! :)

I too am not crazy about parades once I have seen them many many times. I like drawn to magic but it's okay. I know many little kids who won't get to see it for now but I am sure it is just temporary.

What I miss are the street performers in DCA that use to sing in the backlot area. They were really good.

Darkbeer
12-23-2008, 08:18 PM
What I miss are the street performers in DCA that use to sing in the backlot area. They were really good.

I loved Chance to Shine, the performers did a GREAT job, too bad they got the axe!

kelli1rose
12-23-2008, 08:51 PM
We are going to miss the Princess Storytelling and the Royal Coranation a lot. I am so sad to read about the cuts.:eek:

yenko427
12-23-2008, 08:59 PM
So we are going at the end of January......so there will be no parade at all during our trip, no fireworks (even weekends?) and no Fantasmic?

DisneyDustin22
12-23-2008, 09:06 PM
I want to know what the prize is for mentioning it first?

:rolleyes:

wwomant
12-23-2008, 09:31 PM
No Fantasmic! as of January 5th

F! isn't even scheduled after Decemeber 31. I am surprised that it's at least not running January 1-4.

kiowa
12-24-2008, 03:25 AM
Yes, David Koenig mentioned it in his blog on December 17th, 2 days after I mentioned it...

you mean 1 days before you mentioned it. You mentioned it in this forum on Dec 23rd.
the Disneyland update was up on Dec 22nd.

jenniebean
12-24-2008, 04:17 AM
I was already devastated about the PoD, but F! & Aladdin, too? I've only seen Aladdin once in all my visits & had been looking forward to going when I had some free time in the spring... guess not. & F! is like, the best show Disney does... & Malcon10t had just convinced me of the benefits of the reserved seating! :(:(:( Oh, economy.

torquedork
12-24-2008, 07:13 AM
I'm a huge Princess Fan which I would really be missing the Royal Coronation and Storytelling up in the Princess Fantasy Faire where I really hope that both the Storytelling and Royal Coronation do come back.

doublewide77
12-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Looking at the Disney calendar it appears Aladdin won't even make it to new years eve. Last day listed is 12/30. This was a great show, sure hope it returns at some point, but I guess it's more likely they will do a new show at some point.

Darkbeer
12-24-2008, 11:55 AM
OK, Disneyland.com is at it again. (Incorrect info).

Multiple CM's in entertainment have stated that Fantasmic! will be offered daily through March 27th instead of the parade, which will be the Celebrate Today Street Event when it premieres in late March/early April.

Also, Aladdin will be offered at least through Febraury, and probably much longer (5 days a week), this is per an official Disneyland spokesperson.

jenniebean
12-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Also, Aladdin will be offered at least through Febraury, and probably much longer (5 days a week), this is per an official Disneyland spokesperson.

Oy.

I just need it to be around by at least January 18th, when I go back... stop playing with my emotions, Darkbeer! :crying::D:crying::D

(;))

ChipmunkStar
12-24-2008, 02:26 PM
So who gets the blame (credit) for reporting false information first, then?

cstephens
12-24-2008, 03:55 PM
So, not so much "sky is falling"? Yeah. Why get it right when you can get it first?

dznyphreak
12-24-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm not surprised at the change in parades...this "Celebrate Today" thing sounds like a filler before the 55th, when I'm hoping/expecting there to be a new parade, just as there was for the 45th. Wasn't there a filler between Parade of the Stars and Parade of Dreams as well?
As for F!, I'm glad to hear that it's making more appearances on the schedule (presumably). There's no better way to spend 24 minutes. :)

kiowa
12-24-2008, 05:40 PM
So who gets the blame (credit) for reporting false information first, then?

darkbeer

DisneyDustin22
12-24-2008, 09:45 PM
when news breaks on DL everyone wants to be "the one" who broke it. but the second it's incorrect, they're the first to point the finger and say well it wasn't my fault and then they're nowhere to be found.

some of yous guys need to be politicians! :rolleyes:

Animalia
12-25-2008, 06:19 AM
Isn't it true though that any information on Disney events is always "subject to change"? And on the up side, at least a couple of shows will be around longer than expected. Consider it a holiday gift.
Happy Holidays. :)

olegc
12-25-2008, 09:21 AM
well, we're partly to blame (as a collective) since sometimes the market is hungry for insider info - and Disney is notorious for not officially announcing something until it's good and ready. That being said - to ME at least - i don't care who said it first unless Disney is paying you to be the source. If it's speculation by a cast member then fine, if it's someone else then fine... just state it and go.

and remember - just because some manager or official at disney told you it was going to happen - it's always subject to change until the actual "thing" is released or revealed..

Back on the topic - it is sad that Disney no longer sees entertainment as a large part of their Theme Park ops. I have an older Christmas CD from the 80s that I pull out. It had an orchestra, a brass (marching) band with lots of jazz-style, a jazz trio, carolers, etc. All of it was at the parks a long time ago. Now if there is any music or "performer" it's packaged like some sort of extra thing or event (like queenie in NOS). Sorry - the Trash Can Trio is fun to watch but it's not like the jazz guitar trio in NOS. I just keep picturing a group of people around a table, kind of like you would picture movie execs, talking about what to offer and then convincing themselves that people will like the stuff they put out - without really knowing.

Might as well just put out a mini-stage with a bill feeder and have animatronics dance and sing around once the money is put in.