PDA

View Full Version : Weather warning for those visiting the week before Christmas

SirWillow
12-13-2002, 06:23 AM
If you haven't caught this on the news yet...

I was helping out my brother in law yesterday, who works for one of the weather reporting services, and took a look at what's coming up. They're expecting the biggest storm of the year this next week! Starting Sunday it's supposed to be solid rain and some days with heavy winds- with a potential short break around Wed/Thurs- all the way up to the Monday or so before Christmas. Heavy rains, with 3-6 inches expected from each wave (which is a lot for Souther Cal), and are telling the authorities to gear up and be prepared with the flash flood warnings.

Just thought some might like to know that if they're planning that Christmas visit, that might not be the week to do it.

ldsguy
12-13-2002, 08:07 AM
Only if you don't like the rain, Disneyland doesn't close until we hit at least 8 inches of rain in one wave of the storm.....I forget what the exact number is, but I will ask this Sat....the rain keeps everyone away though.

Doodle Duck
12-13-2002, 08:30 AM
Cool! Maybe they will change their plan and let us Delux pass holders in for Christmas!

RStar
12-13-2002, 08:34 AM
Bring a poncho, several changes of clothes including shoes and socks, and umbrellas. Get into dry clothes right before each meal and then eat indoors in a resturaunt to warm up, then go back out. I love Disneyland in the rain. Less crowds (though you'd be surprised at how many diehards stick it out!). The bad part is missing out on the fireworks if it is raining too hard or windy.

SirWillow
12-13-2002, 12:45 PM
Normally I would agree on all of that. I'm usually one of those goons at the parks in the rain (usually Knott's or SFMM though because of costs). At this point though we're calling off our plans to visit the parks. These two storms are working as one extended one and they're supposed to be pretty nasty- especially combined. They're already starting to post flash flood warnings for those days and times, and particularly that weekend.

But if you do go anyways, definately follow the advice above with the ponchos, clothes, etc. And expect a lot of the rides (particularly those that are outside) to be closed.

Ghoulish Delight
12-13-2002, 12:50 PM
My best day at Disneyland ever is still the day I went in torrential rain. I'm talking so much rain that by the time we left, the old parking lot was entirely submerged in 2-3 inches of water :eek: Oh what fun!

mad4mky
12-13-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by ldsguy
Only if you don't like the rain, Disneyland doesn't close until we hit at least 8 inches of rain in one wave of the storm.....I forget what the exact number is, but I will ask this Sat....the rain keeps everyone away though.

I have been there once when they closed the park due to rain....and boy, it was a down pour.

And, I have been to the park on very, very rainy days, where the park was packed...just packed. It has happened twice, on Saturdays. Just as busy as a regular sunny day. :(

So...don't always count on lighter crowds just because of the rain if it is a weekend. People who come from out of town will still go, because that's what they had planned...

Now a rainy week day...you'll probably have the park to yourself.:)

RStar
12-13-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by mad4mky

So...don't always count on lighter crowds just because of the rain if it is a weekend. People who come from out of town will still go, because that's what they had planned...

Now a rainy week day...you'll probably have the park to yourself.:)

Good point. Now that I think about it, the times I practically had parts of the park to myself was on a rainy weekday, just before the park closed.

There was one time, we went on splash figuring we couldn't get any wetter anyway. We got in line (for the third time:)) just as the park closed, and a CM followed is into the queue to close it off. By the time we got off the ride the park was closed by 15-20 min. and as we were walking from that corner of the park it was so quiet and I stood there while I realized that I could not see a single person around. It was like I was Walt doing the early morning walk through or something.

HBTiggerFan
12-13-2002, 04:12 PM
DL is so much fun in the rain!

I am skeptical that these storms are going to be as bad as they are saying considering that the last 2 that were supposed to hit us missed. I hope they are though :)

MonorailMan
12-13-2002, 04:55 PM
I would love to go to DLR on Mon, in the rain. If only mom would be moved to the other side of the fence. :)

Brat
12-13-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
My best day at Disneyland ever is still the day I went in torrential rain. I'm talking so much rain that by the time we left, the old parking lot was entirely submerged in 2-3 inches of water :eek: Oh what fun!
We also had one of our best ever trips in the rain...it was just the two of us, we left the boy with his uncle. We had "planned" this trip by telling our boss (we used to work at the same place) that the next time it rained at DL we were taking 2 vacation days!! It rained hard the whole time. Definately one of the BEST trips we've ever had. I remember riding the double decker bus. The thing leaked so bad, I mean there was even water in the light covers!! But we loved it!!

Hmmm, pay car payment or renew 2 Premium APs so we can go to DLR in the rain...decisions, decisions ;)

Grandbreaker
12-13-2002, 06:26 PM
Well, I have seen Main Street flooded back in 92 the parking lot was flooded also the water drains toward the hub.

MMFan
12-14-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
I am skeptical that these storms are going to be as bad as they are saying considering that the last 2 that were supposed to hit us missed. I hope they are though :)

You may be right. So far, most of the rain is occurring up north. The Bay area has gotten over 2 inches since yesterday! Meanwhile, we've gotten zilch.

I've seen these weather charts and wonder if SirWillow's brother-in-law is talking only about the northern part of the state....

http://weather.unisys.com/mrf/9panel/mrf_500p_9panel.html

It seems that pesky "H's" over SoCal and the southwest have so far reduced the odds of us getting much of anything. And lousy, too, because we've just gone through a record dry spell. By comparison, the SF area actually had above average rainfall during the same 12+month period!

However, when it comes to days of record heat and drought (I won't say anything about smog), we're NUMERO UNO!!!

SirWillow
12-14-2002, 04:48 PM
Well, I checked in with him today and the reports for here haven't changed much.

Of course the first waves weren't supposed to arrive here until Sunday afternoon anyways, so that hasn't changed much either.

Personally I really hope that they're off on the severity of it. But they haven't been wrong on me yet. Guess we'll have to wait and see and pray that they don't mess up Christmas. :)

cindanzr
12-14-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight

Several years ago on Martin Luther King day there was also a torrentail rainstorm. My daughter and I loved it, virtually no rides were closed and no crowds at all. The only drawback was the 3 hours it took us to get home - normally a 25 minute ride!

MonorailMan
12-15-2002, 07:03 AM
Yea! I taked mom into going in the rain. Bring it on! :~D