PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland and weather

JMcCoy
12-12-2002, 08:43 AM
My husband and I are planning to go to Disneyland the 18th and 19th of December. I just checked the long range weather report and they are forecasting rain and thunderstorms(!) for the 19th. I read on the MousePlanet guide that rainy days are still good days to go (rain and Disneyland, my 2 favorite things!), but what are the chances the Park will suddenly close due to that thunderstorm forecast? Our days are pretty locked in, schedule-wise. I sure don't want to miss a single minute of being there on those 2 days! TIA.

HBTiggerFan
12-12-2002, 09:27 AM
Disneyland is so much fun in the rain (if you don't mind getting a bit wet)

They are talking about a "real storm" (vs a SoCal storm of some mist).

Stop off at your local discount store and pick up some ponchos (to avoid paying for the DLR ones), bring an umbrella if you like, a change of clothes and have fun!

The crowds are really minimal and only a few rides actually close when it rains.

Just beware that *a lot* of drivers in CA cannot drive in the rain :eek:

Ghoulish Delight
12-12-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by JMcCoy
My husband and I are planning to go to Disneyland the 18th and 19th of December. I just checked the long range weather report and they are forecasting rain and thunderstorms(!) for the 19th. I read on the MousePlanet guide that rainy days are still good days to go (rain and Disneyland, my 2 favorite things!), but what are the chances the Park will suddenly close due to that thunderstorm forecast? Our days are pretty locked in, schedule-wise. I sure don't want to miss a single minute of being there on those 2 days! TIA. Highly doubtful they will close. It's not like we get raging thunder storms out here. I would not expect a storm dangerous enough to close the park.

JMcCoy
12-12-2002, 03:33 PM
Well, the weather guessers have backed off on the stormy weather for Thursday, Dec. 19th. Looks like we'll have a partly cloudy day at the Park. I will be prepared for rain anyway. I think I'm a bit disappointed!
There's still a chance of rain on the 18th. One can hope!
Thanks for your help.
JMcCoy

SirWillow
12-13-2002, 07:05 AM
Definately be prepared for rain, at least the showers, and a good amount of wind to.

Was over at my brother in laws weather station job yesterday, and Wednesday and Thursday look to be the brief breaks between a couple of big storms- very heavy and hard for this part of CA.

I'm one of those that normall I see rain and I'm dashing off to go to one of the local parks, but from what I saw is expected of these I actually canceled my plans to visit the parks because of it. It's supposed to get rather messy.

Brat
12-13-2002, 05:51 PM
Since you already have your days planned and can't change them, just be prepared. We love DL in the rain, and actually plan some of our trips for when it is raining. Be sure to bring warm clothes and you may want to invest in some water proof shoes or snowboot type footwear (if you don't already have some). That is the one mistake we made on our first rain trip...our feet got soaked right away and that can be miserable. Bring your own ponchos, and an umbrella (we even have a special "Disneyland" umbrella that we only use on our trips there).

It rained very hard for 3 days on our last trip in the rain and the only rides that I remember being closed were the teacups and Alice in Wonderland. There might have been more, but it didn't affect the quality of our trip at all!!

And enjoy having the park almost all to yourselves, it can be very slow on rainy weekdays!!