PDA

View Full Version : Portofino Inn & Suites

disneyjlh20022002
12-10-2002, 03:48 PM
We will be traveling to Disneyland in April with our 2 kids. We booked a kids suite at the Portofino Inn & Suites. I'm wondering if anyone has stayed there and can give their opinion on the hotel. Specifically, was it nice/clean? Was it really a short walk away? How was the breakfast? Were the rooms a decent size?

Many thanks in advance,
Judy

jslivinski
12-27-2002, 11:46 AM
I've never stayed there, but from the outside it looks really nice and they have a nice looking web site.

julia
12-27-2002, 07:00 PM
The Portofino Suites looked really clean and new to me and it is just across the street from Disneyland Resorts. It was a real standout amongst some of the hotels in its vicinity. The streets around it are busy with 4 lanes, but the location is pretty ideal. I would contact the hotel directly and request a quiet location if you think that the noise from the road might bother you.

Let us know what you think when you return.....

Have a good trip!
Julia

PAOil
12-28-2002, 06:04 AM
We began our stay there last year. Clean-definitely. Nice-yes. The furnishings were new and the staff was friendly. The walk is manageable--about 3 to 4 city blocks to the entrance area (basically you're walking parallel to the distance of DCA from Cal. Screamin to the DCA entrance). HOWEVER our room was right at the front and the street noise was unbearable. I slept 3 hours the first night. They didn't have any other rooms to move us to so we moved to the Residence Inn. The Res. Inn is nicer but also more expensive. No complaints about the Res. Inn (and a plus at the RI is it's own shuttle van to DL that runs at least every 1/2 hour--but the staff is so friendly they'll take you whenever you want). We're going again in Jan and have already booked at the Res. Inn.

DCA Dot
12-29-2002, 04:41 PM
We just stayed at the Portifino last week and this is a great hotel! To me it seemed as nice as the Marriott (where we have stayed many times) but it is a little bit smaller and ofcourse the rate is lower, about $80.00 I think but not sure exactly since we had a package. Our room was a regular two-bed on the third floor in the middle of the hotel that had a small balcony that looked east out over the West Coast Anahiem parking lot and hotel. I though at first that this might be a very noise spot to be in but acutally wasn't. The only noise we ever heard was maybe one or two showers turning on at about 8:30 am. Our floor seemed deserted and we never had the problem of anyone running down the hall and making alot of noise late at night or early in the morning. Maybe we just got lucky. :)

As far as the breakfast there is none, but the West Coast has a nice diner/cafe right next door. And ofcourse there are many other places to eat once you get out on the streets and start looking around. The Hansa House is also right across the street which has a nice breakfast-lunch-dinner buffett.

The street is kind of noisey though once you are outside with alot of fast driving traffic. The ART shuttle pick up/drop off (letter D) is in front of the Chevron right next door but if you don't mind walking and you have strollers for the kids it's about a 5 to 7 minute walk about 3 or 4 blocks. The shuttle is free as long as you show the driver your little pass card that they give you at the front desk.

I would definately recommend this hotel and we are making plans of staying here again when we come back this summer. Have a good trip!

ldsguy
12-29-2002, 10:14 PM
Geez, $80 for a place to sleep, give me Motel 6 any day....lucky me, I don't have to worry about hotel rooms, love living close enough to be able to drive.

DCA Dot
12-30-2002, 09:10 AM
FYI: The Portofino is not a "motel 6". :)

ldsguy
12-30-2002, 09:16 AM
I know, my point was that that is way too mch money for a place to sleep.....even Motel 6 is a bit high for my tates, why on earth spend tons of money just for a place to take a shower and sleep?

DCA Dot
12-30-2002, 09:23 PM
Well, finding a good place to stay at the Resort is not as easy as you might think. You have the choice of staying in a not updated place for around $30 but then might wake up to a not very nice room and finding yourself "cleaning" the room just to feel comfortable. (This was our last experience visiting DRL and it's not very nice.) Or going with the "normal" rate of a nice hotel and have a much better vacation. In past trips we had the luxury of staying at either the Residence Inn or Marriott for around $50 but can no longer get that rate since we are no longer employed by -------- since the company has changed hands to a new one.

Living right down the freeway would be nice but some do not have that luxury. :(

HBTiggerFan
12-30-2002, 09:49 PM
I saw it tonight driving home. It is on the corner of Harbor and Katella. Both streets are major streets. The walk isn't as close as some of the other places to stay along Harbor but it doesn't look to bad.

Let us know :)

Klutch
01-01-2003, 10:15 AM
To repeat what I said to another who asked about Portofino a few weeks ago; A coworker of mine stayed there last summer. While parked in the hotel garage, someone broke into his van (smashing a window) and stole everything inside to include his kids' CDs and CD players. The police told him it looked like an inside job.

So, be sure to remove everything from your vehicle when you park it in the hotel garage. Of course, this is good practice wherever you may stay.

Klutch
01-01-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by ldsguy
I know, my point was that that is way too mch money for a place to sleep.....even Motel 6 is a bit high for my tates, why on earth spend tons of money just for a place to take a shower and sleep?

I suspect you've never stayed in a REALLY bad motel. One night with bugs, threat of infection, smokey-smell, carnival-like sounds from adjoinging rooms, and serious danger lurking just outside your door can make you quite glad to cough up good money for a place to stay. A tent in the woods is a much better place to sleep than a bad motel room. :eek:

Also, while I may recall my nights in horrendous inns with whimsical adventure, my wife and children most certainly would not.

Now do you understand why people are willing to pay for something better than Motel 666? :D

DCA Dot
01-01-2003, 11:54 AM
A tent in the woods is a much better place to sleep than a bad motel room. :eek:
Now do you understand why people are willing to pay for something better than Motel 666? :D

I totally agree with you! Lol :)

ldsguy
01-01-2003, 03:18 PM
I suspect you've never stayed in a REALLY bad motel. One night with bugs, threat of infection, smokey-smell, carnival-like sounds from adjoinging rooms, and serious danger lurking just outside your door can make you quite glad to cough up good money for a place to stay. A tent in the woods is a much better place to sleep than a bad motel room.

Also, while I may recall my nights in horrendous inns with whimsical adventure, my wife and children most certainly would not.

Now do you understand why people are willing to pay for something better than Motel 666?
I only had one bad experience with Motel 6, and that was simply a pipe had burst before we got into the room, so they of course imeadiately found us another room, a bit better as a recal (ground floor vs. second floor) than what we had at no additional cost.

I am nopt saying to stay in one the cheap hotels in the area, but rather Motel 6 is particualr, thier rooms are always clean, confortable and a lot less expensive. I am picky that when I go to a motel that the room be safe and clean and if it isn't, I will immeadiately go and say something....I just can't understand the purpose of paying tons of money for staying a night somewhere, when all you are going to do is sleep and take a shower.

I am not saying that all have to agree, to each thier own of course, but I am still curious why people would spend $60+ on a room......of course the following isn't the case here, but I really want to know why people would spend over $100 a night for the Marriot or something, I understand staying in one of the Disney hotels for the Atmosphere/convience factor, esp. the GCH, but other than that I don't get it.

HBTiggerFan
01-01-2003, 04:30 PM
Not everyone uses a room to sleep and shower in. Sometimes people like to relax in their rooms while on vacation, the kids like to nap while the parents watch some TV or play some games.

If I recall Motel 6 do not offer a fridge or a microwave in their rooms which for some people can really lower their cost of vacation by bringing breakfast and snack foods.

I like Motel 6 but if I have the money I am not above trying to find something nicer that I will want to relax in on my downtime.

EandCDad
01-02-2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by ldsguy
I am not saying that all have to agree, to each thier own of course, but I am still curious why people would spend $60+ on a room......of course the following isn't the case here, but I really want to know why people would spend over $100 a night for the Marriot or something, I understand staying in one of the Disney hotels for the Atmosphere/convience factor, esp. the GCH, but other than that I don't get it.

I don't get why people eat beets. I mean, why do people have different preferences than I do? It makes no sense to me. If I don't like beets, why should anyone like them. Can't they eat squash, I usually eat squash and have never had any problem with it. I feel superior since I never eat beets.

Disneyjlh20022002 (now that is a name!), as many people have mentioned, the Portofino is at the intersection of two busy streets. Although the walk is "officially" only two blocks, they are loooooooooooong blocks, the equivalent of 4 city street blocks. Factor in another block for walking from the exit gate of Dinseyland to Harbor (through the shuttle area) and that will give you an idea of how long the walk is.

Marty
01-07-2003, 12:59 AM
Now I get it. For about a year now I have been trying to figure out why EandCDad bugs me so much. Sure, his posts seem fairly harmless. But still, there was something I couldn’t quite put my finger on. Beneath that seemingly innocuous veneer, I sensed something terribly subversive about his whole attitude.

But his latest post finally gave me proof of what I was looking for. Now I feel it is my duty to out him to the whole Mouseplanet community for failing to measure up to my petty and arbitrary standards. EandCDad’s preferences sometimes run counter to my own – a character deficiency that I (and therefore I assume others) find quite abhorrent. Look it, except when people do, say or think things I disagree with, I’m a pretty tolerant guy. EandCDad, the ball is now in your court. Maybe it is not too late for you to slavishly follow the whims of others instead of selfishly doing things you like to do.

EandCDad
01-07-2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by Marty
But his latest post finally gave me proof of what I was looking for. Now I feel it is my duty to out him to the whole Mouseplanet community for failing to measure up to my petty and arbitrary standards. EandCDad’s preferences sometimes run counter to my own – a character deficiency that I (and therefore I assume others) find quite abhorrent. Look it, except when people do, say or think things I disagree with, I’m a pretty tolerant guy. EandCDad, the ball is now in your court. Maybe it is not too late for you to slavishly follow the whims of others instead of selfishly doing things you like to do.

You are obviously a beet eater. You eat beets while watching hockey. Have you no shame? Squash and football my friend, follow the true path you will.