PDA

View Full Version : Indy Tonight [16 Dec 2008]

Pages : [1] 2

disneylandgirl
12-16-2008, 11:27 PM
I was on Indy tonight, and the whole ride got stopped right in the middle. We sat there for a second, moved a little, then sat for about ten minutes. Then all the lights came on :eek:. Eventually, a cast member came by and told us that we were all going to be "evacuated" and that the cars sometimes just don't want to work. So, they brought around the ladder and we all climbed out and walked out of the ride.

Anyone else ever seen this before? I always see Indy closed... maybe it happens a lot? If so... wouldn't they fix it???

jenniebean
12-16-2008, 11:54 PM
Yes. The day after my birthday, we got stuck in front of that stupid fan in the "lightening" room in the very beginning for about twenty or thirty minutes. We were the third to last jeep evacuated, &, because I get claustrophobic when I feel trapped (like in a locked seatbelt), I had a fabulous panic attack.

Although, it makes the ride much more exciting ever since because I'm so afraid of it getting stuck again-- every pause gives me an adrenaline rush!

MoKat72
12-17-2008, 06:28 AM
Was that the morning of December 1, Jennie? We were just about to step into our car when they evacuated the building.

houseofmouse
12-17-2008, 06:46 AM
My son and I were there in October and the ride was down for almost an entire day. Me thinks it is time for a major re-furb and fix. :) This ride uses the same technology as Dinosaur in Animal Kingdom, I wonder if that ride breaks down a lot too?

TikiGeek
12-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Anyone else ever seen this before? I always see Indy closed... maybe it happens a lot? If so... wouldn't they fix it???It happens daily. The ride is technically very complex and has never worked well. It was designed ahead of it's technology - Disney has done many updates/upgrades of both hardware and software to try to get it to be more reliable. I give them much credit for not giving up like they did with Rocket Rods. :rolleyes:

It's kind of a cool experience to get to walk off a ride - be glad that you didn't wait in line for 2 hours only to get to the front and find out the ride is down and you have to come back in 2 hours.

Bytebear
12-17-2008, 09:31 AM
We were just leaving the loading area when it shut down. It turns out it was the other car leaving the station on the other side. The computer said something was unsafe, so the whole thing shuts down. As we sat there, we saw the maintanance guys come out and check out the car, and after about 20 minutes, they got it working again. I don't know if they evacuated the ride, but did ask if we wanted to stay or go. We stayed and when the ride was over, they asked if we wanted to go again, and we of course said yes, so we did the ride one more time. Apparently it takes a full circuit to get all the effects going, not that we noticed.

Andrew
12-17-2008, 10:01 AM
I've never been walked off Indy. My only attraction walk-offs are Peter Pan and Pirates.

Bytebear
12-17-2008, 10:13 AM
I've never been walked off Indy. My only attraction walk-offs are Peter Pan and Pirates.

You must have really long legs to walk off Peter Pan. ;)

Andrew
12-17-2008, 10:16 AM
You must have really long legs to walk off Peter Pan. ;)
They used a ladder.

jenniebean
12-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Was that the morning of December 1, Jennie? We were just about to step into our car when they evacuated the building.

Nope... March 31st, 2007 :D It was a while a go, but it left an impression. It was apparently because a water bottle fell & spilled on one of the vehicles...

Another time (November 23rd) I was in line when there was a "temporary stop" & the CM told me that something had fallen "like a headband or sunglasses" & could maybe be in the way on the track, so they needed to run out & get it. They ended up "waiting til later" or something, but it was still odd. Apparently those huge things are kind of delicate :rolleyes:.

The scariest breakdown, for me, was when the jeep stopped in the final room. Now, because I've gone on it so many times, I know the sequence that's supposed to happen-- stop under Indy, "somebody better get a light on down here," "back up" as jeep backs up, ball starts rolling, jeep jerks forward a few times before going headfirst into a "crash." So when we paused for a bit too long & didn't even back up or move at ALL when the ball started rolling, despite knowing how the whole thing works, I started freaking out & legit ducked when we eventually careened forward while the rest of the car was just enjoying it bc they think it's just the way it's supposed to be.

&, personally, I don't think I've ever found Dinosaur down for more than 20 minutes. Like, I've never seen people evacuated... just the "you can get out of line if you want or stick it out" announcement, but then it starts up ten minutes later.

I absolutely love love love Indy, & it's one of the few rides I will actually wait for (only up to 45 minutes, of course), so frequent breakdowns or not, it's still got a special place in my heart.

Tan Da Man
12-17-2008, 11:16 AM
I was there this summer for three days..it was down all day one day and down so much the other two, I only got to ride once....I was also there this past week and it went down a few times, but even when I rode it you could tell it wasnt running correctly. Such as the sound cutting off for up to half the ride.

cstephens
12-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Yep, been walked off Indy, years ago - I think it was 1997. We stopped at a boring part of the ride, though.

dlfansx4
12-17-2008, 11:44 AM
I was on Indy tonight, and the whole ride got stopped right in the middle. We sat there for a second, moved a little, then sat for about ten minutes. Then all the lights came on :eek:. Eventually, a cast member came by and told us that we were all going to be "evacuated" and that the cars sometimes just don't want to work. So, they brought around the ladder and we all climbed out and walked out of the ride.

Anyone else ever seen this before? I always see Indy closed... maybe it happens a lot? If so... wouldn't they fix it???

We have never had it break down while we were on it, but it does seem like it is closed quite often. The only ride that I have gotten stuck on for any length of time was the Jungle Cruise. The boat jumped the track and we ended up floating around the hippo pond until they cleared the boats in front and behind us. I knew we were in trouble when we went around a corner and grazed one of the rocks (um, that isn't supposed to happen, LOL). Luckily they shut off the hippos just before we floated over top of one of them (I was worried it would come up underneigh the side of the boat and tip it). Then they sent out the service boats and got us back on the track. Pretty fascinating actually and we received a front of line pass or any other attraction that day.

bananaman20
12-17-2008, 01:02 PM
I got stuck on Indy three times...... in ONE day!! They gave us the re-admit passes each time, but after the third time, my dad and I just gave up on the ride

MLSfan
12-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Once right after the boulder scene and you drop down, after we dropped the car stopped in the dark and we stayed there for a few minutes. Kinda freaky. When we got off the CM told us they do that so all the other cars can catch up for long loading times.

disneylandgirl
12-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Once right after the boulder scene and you drop down, after we dropped the car stopped in the dark and we stayed there for a few minutes. Kinda freaky. When we got off the CM told us they do that so all the other cars can catch up for long loading times.

Hmmm... that's odd. That's EXACTLY where we got stopped. I think it was our car that stopped working, becuase it had done it earlier in the ride, but starded up again. (neat how they cue the car sounds when the ride is trying to start up again) Our car was near the end, and the first to stop. We saw the car behind us get stopped pretty close. But we were there in the dark, and could hear our car trying to start, but it just woudn't. It was kind of cool to see the track with the lights on, and the plain black wall, and all the huge speakers.

But why do they use the word "evacuate"? I mean, I got a little freaked out. They could have just said, the ride is down so we need to have everyone leave. But no, had to use evacuate like something had gone seriously wrong.

We got a fastpass for Indy, or any other ride. Problem was, it was 10 pm, the park closed at 11, and there were no lines. Wish they could've given us something more useful.

dznyphreak
12-17-2008, 06:18 PM
I've walked off Indy once before. We stopped right in front of the snake! It was a fun experience, though, as we got to walk the rest of the track all the way through. I've also walked off Matterhorn (right after the splash...boo...) and Pinocchio (scary stuff, Pinocchio with the lights on. It was in the carnival right before going into the 8-Ball saloon). It's my secret wish to walk off every major ride at Disneyland. It's certainly a fun experience. Too bad that wasn't one of the "Million Dreams." :D

jenniebean:

The jeep doesn't actually back up. The walls move forward. ;) Try looking behind you next time and you can see the walls moving. The Imagineers got the idea from a car wash, and it's technically impossible to have those jeeps back up on the track.

I'm pretty sure that Dinosaur is not only the same system, but the exact same track and even vehicle movement sequence as Indy. I noticed that on our trip last summer (2007).

ryanvalle
12-17-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm pretty sure that Dinosaur is not only the same system, but the exact same track and even vehicle movement sequence as Indy. I noticed that on our trip last summer (2007).

maybe same programming because as far as i know, Indy is unique in a way that each experience is slightly different. Sure, the turning reactions of the car might be the same, but i doubt all the road bumps and what not are exactly the same

jenniebean
12-17-2008, 08:28 PM
dznyphreak-- I know how it works, lol, but nonetheless every time I ride I duck, just in case! Kind of like how on dinosaur, every single time I duck there, too, just in case *maybe*, this one time, an actual dino got loose.

but on the dino subject-- my favorite line to repeat throughout the entire trip: "We're not gonna make it! We're not gonna make it!"

MoKat72
12-18-2008, 07:28 AM
Not to get too far off topic, but we rode Dinosaur for the first time last year. When the big dino started coming at us, I completely ducked and covered (hands protecting the neck and everything). My husband cracked up when we looked at the picture after the ride, because I was not in the picture at all! :D

I've never been walked off a ride. It sounds very fun, though.

grimgrinningirl
12-18-2008, 08:12 AM
One time on Indy, the ride was almost over, we were maybe 10 feet from the loading area when the ride stopped and the lights came on. We had to wait about 15 minutes for someone to come around with the ladder and get us out. I think it would be cool to walk through the ride, but for my daughter's sake, I'm glad we made it through before it stopped. Indy is her favorite ride, and if we had to get off in the middle of it there'd be hell to pay!

Tan Da Man
12-18-2008, 10:09 AM
I have a question about Indy..

How do the three different rooms at the beginning of the ride?
Each of the three rooms (Fortune, Youth, Seeing the Future) is different, but the ride is the same throughout the rest...and they switch the rooms several times a day...so how do each of the rooms connect to the rest of the ride?

kden
12-18-2008, 10:55 AM
My family was at DLR for this Thanksgiving.We were on Winnie the Pooh when it broke down. The lights came on and they walked us out. The next day, 3 of us were on Screaming when it broke down. We were almost at the end of the ride. We waited about 10 minutes before they came and walked us off.We got 3 front of the line passes for our party, good on any ride except Toy Story Mania. Finally, my duaghter was on Toy Story and one of the game screens was blank, so they let our whole party ride again.
We've been going to Disneyland for Thanksgiving for many years, but we have never experienced so many break downs. Hopefully, it was just coincedence, and not a trend.

bananaman20
12-18-2008, 01:05 PM
I have a question about Indy..

How do the three different rooms at the beginning of the ride?
Each of the three rooms (Fortune, Youth, Seeing the Future) is different, but the ride is the same throughout the rest...and they switch the rooms several times a day...so how do each of the rooms connect to the rest of the ride?

If you look at the wikipedia article about the ride (Indiana Jones Adventure), it describes it pretty well. And has a cool little graphic to go with it:)

Tan Da Man
12-18-2008, 04:21 PM
alright sweet..ill check that out..thanks