PDA

View Full Version : We just got home from 4 days at DLR

mousey_girl
12-07-2002, 03:39 PM
We just got back from our annual trek to the Resort. We spent 3 nights/4 days at the DLR.

We stayed at GCH. I was a bit nervous after reading how some were treated. All of my fears were put to rest from the minute we pulled up.

The Bell Desk offered to stow our bags until we were able to check in. It was 10:15am, and the official check in wasn't until 3. Our room was ready so we were able to get settled right away. After that it was off to DL!!

We upgraded our 3-5 day hoppers for AP's and took in a few rides. When things got a bit busy we went over to DCA.

We made GRR our first ride and then wandered over to the PP area. Being the sweet caring parents that we are :~D we couldn't wait to get The Boy on Screamin'. He was not sure of it at all. I was not prepared for that take off!! He did great though, and as soon as we got off he let out a "THAT WAS THE COOLEST RIDE EVER!!"

We had an "ok" dinner at ESPN Zone and went to the hotel for night night. The only complaint I have about the hotel is that they really could have done a better job in the noise proofing area. Our room was on the 3rd floor with a perfect view of GRR. The noise didn't come from the park, it came from other guests. It felt like the walls were paper thin.

The next morning we were off to Chip & Dale's breakfast. The Boy was the sole participant in the Follow the Leader game, but he loved it. Our waitress was great. She saw his B-day button and brought over a Mickey Head mousse (very tasty).

We spent all day Thursday at DL. After a short nap we went to dinner at the RFC.

Friday we went back to C&D's for breakfast (big mistake). Our waitress did everything she could to avoid us. We even had to ask the bus boy for more orange juice after waiting for 10 mins for the waitress to bring it.

We took off for DL and were able to walk right on Peter Pan and Mr Toad. During Mr Toads, the cars seemed a bit sluggish, then right as we were about to enter Hell, our car stopped. We (meaning The Boy and myself, Hubby was in the car in front of us) were right in front of the eyes of fire. We could feel the heat, but also cool air, so it wasn't too bad. We sat there for a good 10 mins before the lights came on. 5 mins later a CM walked us out.

We played around until 1 when we had reservations at the BB. The Boy was thrilled!! He loved the idea of being inside a ride and eating lunch.

After a nap we were off to DCA where we rode Screamin' 3 more times.

We checked out this morning and the Bell Desk held our bags while we went back to the parks.

Highlights of the trip:

Flicks Fun Fair is cute! The Boy loved being able to drive his own bumper car (and once he got going in the right direction he did great) .

We really enjoyed DCA, now that he is tall enough we were able to wander around more.

GCH is a really good hotel. I had heard the rooms were cramped, but the 3 of us had plenty of room and the staff is excellent.

Low Points:

The parents of some of these autograph seekers are beyond pushy. I can't count the number of times Nickolas was pushed out of the way. As much as I hate the line ques to visit characters, they really do help keep people in line (pun intended)

The reservation staff at RFC need to learn people skills.

On a side note, Friday afternoon, around 2, a group of what appeared to be college students, were laying sheets of butcher paper along Main Street. They were "reserving" spots for the parade. Had this just been a few feet, no biggy, but I am talking about the corner nearest the Christmas Tree all the way to were the lockers are. This was on both sides of Main Street and they were placing the paper to be for 2 people deep. I was just wondering why they were being allowed to block off that much space and if they got away with it.

MouseWife
12-07-2002, 05:53 PM
It sounds like you had a wonderful trip!!

The GC is very nice, well, small for us, a family of 5. And they aren't so small anymore!!

Anywho, I totally agree with you on those bad parents, shoving their kids in front of the others. Rude! I also prefer the lines as at least you know when it is your turn and you can also tell them to buzz off if they try to cut in front of you.

I am glad to hear your son had such a great time. I know it is great when we have a great time but part of that is seeing their expressions and thier reactions.

I don't know about those parade waiters. I am totally unsure about this but I do know that people gave me a ration of it when I put down a jacket to save space for my hubby and son. And we are talking, what, about maybe two feet? Nothing like what you mentioned. I hope if anyone saw what happened they post.........

Thanks for the trip report!!

MouseWife :)

Twinsmom
12-09-2002, 10:05 AM
Glad you had a great time! We are getting very excited in our house. Two weeks from today!

I am curious to see if anyone knows about the reserving of spots like was done. That is very interesting that the park would allow such a great deal of space to be reserved....hmmmm.

I am glad The Boy had so much fun! Great memories........
;)

jslivinski
12-18-2002, 03:24 PM
Sounds like you had a great trip, thank you for sharing it with us.

ldsguy
12-19-2002, 04:40 PM
Well, I don't know the policy on the parades, but policy for Fantasmic! is you can reserve as much space as you want, I know this as we will always reserve extra space in front & find & invite those who haven't seen the show before to sit w/us.

TimBuk2
12-19-2002, 07:32 PM
We had an "ok" dinner at ESPN Zone and went to the hotel for night night.
-------------
What was wrong with the dinner ? And what did you have. I've been there several times and had a great meal and service every time. Especially the Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie/Ice Cream dessert, that's the best.

Just curious why ! Sounds overall you had a great time, that's nice to hear.

:p

mousey_girl
12-19-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by ldsguy
Well, I don't know the policy on the parades, but policy for Fantasmic! is you can reserve as much space as you want, I know this as we will always reserve extra space in front & find & invite those who haven't seen the show before to sit w/us.

This was waaaay more that just a few spots, we are talking enough room for over 200 people. This was on both sides of Main St from the Chistmas tree to the Carnation restaraunt and the fruit cart are in the middle of the street. This was 2 people deep, 1 row sitting and 1 row standing. I am not against saving areas, but this group was litterally blocking access to over 1/2 of Main St.