PDA

View Full Version : Never been shoved so much...

Pages : [1] 2

MagicB4Money
12-06-2008, 08:50 AM
I'm sure there have been threads about this, but this was a unique experience for me. Disneyland holds such a special place in my heart. My parents saved all year to drive several hours and take me there once a year. As an adult, I've been able to go every few years. Just got back yesterday from a 3 day trip with DH. Good thing that DL is so magical for me b/c my trip wasn't ruined b/c I have never been so stepped on, kicked, shoved, elbowed, and touched so much by children and adults while waiting in lines. We did make the best of it---it got comical eventually---because I was never actually injured, only about 2 times was I in actual pain. I got to practice saying things like, "please don't continue to kick me." The most disturbing part were the parents or adults who didn't apologize or respond at all.

A girl reached into the water at IASW and splashed handfuls of water on her sister and mother AND US. My DH said, ladies, we don't want to get wet back here----mom just said "stop it." After I was kicked twice by a boy in line at Buzz, he ended up in front of me. I told he and mom to just go ahead of us b/c I was tired of being kicked. Mom said she would never kick me. I said but her child did. The boy said, "It was an accident the first time." Mom said nothing. I said what about the second time? Mom said nothing.

While waiting for the parade just outside Tomorrowland, dad allowed 3 kids to bump into us as they climbed over the metal fence and into the landscaping.

I totally understand small children being so excited that they accidentally bump into you in line. But I'd say that was only about 25% of the time. There is no excuse for an adult elbowing me in the ribs. And I don't ever remember this being an issue at all in my past trips. Just now I remember reading a thread last week in which someone thought people are ruder at DL than at WDW. I have to agree b/c this was not an issue at WDW 3 years ago.

And yes, I kept checking to see if there was a "kick me" sign on my back!

Tinkermommy
12-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Aw, I'm so sorry this happened to you on your trip! Honestly, that's one of the things that makes our APs worthwhile -- when it's like that, we just go home. I know people on vacation don't have that option, and I sympathize!

It does seem that kind of behavior is more common everywhere, kids as well as adults. (For the extreme example, think WalMart in Long Island on Black Friday!) I recently had some kids come to my door selling candy. I declined. One of them actually kicked over a potted plant on a stand on my front porch. I couldn't believe it. It certainly reinforced the thought that I'd done the right thing by not giving them $. I see drivers doing unbelievably rude and stupid things on the road so often I wish I had a dash mounted camera so I could make an Internet movie in the hope they'd be shamed into good behavior. LOL!

We've observed horrible behavior at Disneyland (like a woman who wanted out of the gridlocked snowfall traffic one year and literally and intentionally shoved me repeatedly because I couldn't move -- and I was holding my child at the time!). Although it seems like the bigger the crowd the worse the behavior, I've also seen amazingly wonderful behavior at Disneyland when it's been at its peak -- like on the 50th anniversary. That was one of the most well-behaved shoulder-to-shoulder crowds I've ever been in. It seems like a mob mentality kind of thing -- when one person/group starts going off, it's contagious.

While it's VERY common for us to be pushed in line by kids while their parents, behind, say nothing, the worst thing for me is people who get so close they step on the back of my shoes. It seems to happen to me at least twice every time we go to Disneyland. (Note my signature, lol). I don't get that.

In any case, I'm sorry you encountered so many rude people on your trip!

FunAuntSherry
12-06-2008, 12:45 PM
It's terrible how many parents don't want to notice or care!

My sis and her hubs are trying diligently to instill manners and thoughtfulness into their 2 and 3 year olds. When I have them with me I try and reinforce what they already know by having them apologize when they bump someone by accident. I also try to let them know that to keep doing it makes it no longer an accident. I've had other people just tell me "oh, she's fine"... uh, yeah when she's cute and 3 she's fine but in a few years it wouldn't be fine any longer. It's really working, she even asked at the tailor "may I have a sucker" and "thank you for my sucker".

I was actually impressed when we went to Disneyland Easter week in 2007. I was prepared for the crowds (thanks to the forums here) and there were actually very few instances where I "felt" the crush of people. I'm sorry it happened on your trip! I'm on my way this week and am prepared for ANYTHING! :)

CindyR
12-06-2008, 03:28 PM
We went last night and the crowds were horrendous. During the parade they were directing people to go through the stores to leave and it was barely moving. People were shoving like crazy. These women next to me were worried about their young children who were in a double stroller that was fairly exposed, they though someone was going to fall on top of the stroller. I know the stage setup was causing some traffic issues but I wish they had figured out a better solution. It almost appeared that the side walk on the side of main street with the ice cream parlor on it was just full of people stopped to watch the parade. Then the people that were actually moving on the sidewalk were heading toward the castle, so there was no quick way to move toward the exits.

You're right though- it's not just the traffic it's how people choose to react. I can't tell you the number of times I have adults hit me with their strollers and fail to say anything. It's not like I'm cutting in front of them, there sometimes are situations where the crowd finally starts moving, and they're not watching so they fail to move so I'll move in front of them to where the crowd is a few feet in front of them and they finally notice and carelessly push their stroller forward into me. I mean I would never do anything back, but they do that to the wrong person, and you never know how they might react.

mkraemer
12-06-2008, 03:31 PM
My experience has been something along the lines of:

The more crowded the park becomes, the shorter the tempers become and people seem to have less sense and courtesy. I don't honestly believe that this is a Disneyland- or Walt Disney World-specific issue; it's a crowd thing.

jenniebean
12-06-2008, 05:15 PM
It almost appeared that the side walk on the side of main street with the ice cream parlor on it was just full of people stopped to watch the parade.
Hmm, I was watching directly across from this & just went back to look through my photos & you're right... it's like a swarm of people just stopped.

We did make the best of it---it got comical eventually---because I was never actually injured, only about 2 times was I in actual pain. I got to practice saying things like, "please don't continue to kick me."
Kudos to you for being better humored about it than some people! Some days I can't help myself & get a little snarky after 30+ minutes of kids hanging on the railings & swinging into me or falling on me & say something like "Oh, I'm sorry! Am I in your way?" They usually stop. Other times, when it's a little annoying but I'm in a good mood, I usually look at the parents & say, "I totally remember being so antsy in lines when I was that age... so cute, though!" & then the parents usually pay more attention. Usually.

jenpace
12-06-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm really sorry that you guys had to deal with all of that on your trip. It's a good thing you have such a great attitude and didn't let it get to you!

On a positive note, reading your post made me feel less sad that we're not at DL right now :) ...still sad but not quite as much!

houseofmouse
12-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Was it Candlelight Processional last night?
We have experience some of this in the summer when it has been especially crowded. I was pushed from behind once and crashed into someone. Lucky for me that person was nice about it!

My kids have done a few back of shoe stepping in their day and I usually try to put more distance between myself, kids and people in front of us, even if I get a hundred "Move ups" in the process.
My kids are older now and are more courtious but they apologize for sure. There is never an excuse for parents to ignore bad behavior!

nursechrissy32
12-06-2008, 07:38 PM
(((((((((magicb4money)))))))) Ehugs to you!! :)

I have been there when it has been this busy, my husband complains, so we take a break from the parks and do something else...

Its sad because, I would put up with just about anything.....hanging onto the magic by a sliver!!!

DisneyFunFamily4
12-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Being a mom of two girls (5 & 8), one of who is especially antsy (5), the only time this kid sits still is if she's asleep, seriously.. I am very aware of other kids behavior. I understand kids are excited, but that is absolutely not an excuse to ignore your child's behavior. I am constantly telling my little one to stop hanging on the rail (it's a rope not a ride, stay on your feet it's not a seat) and stop squirming, watch where your going, don't run in to the people in front of you, at times I feel like a broken record... but I know it's starting to sink in b/c if the girls see another child doing something I tell them not to they say "mommy, look that kids being naughty, they're climbing on the rocks", its kind of funny when the kids hear and give us a dirty look, it still usually doesn't get the parents to tell the kids to stop, usually its a CM making an announcement, "please don't climb on the rocks".

Sometimes I feel parents are giving me looks for reprimanding my child b/c they aren't behaving, yes I'm stern w/ my kids but we still have fun, you have to be consistent or they will act like little hellions. And if they run in to someone on accident I alway make sure we apologize. I dont understand these parents who are totally oblivious to their childrens behavior, but then again anyone can have a kids.

Yes it can get crowded and like tinkermommy said that's why we have AP's, we try to avoid crowds and if we encounter one, we can leave. I know I get grumpy waiting in a sea of people after a long day at DL, but I don't push and shove, it's not like thats gonna get you out of the park any faster, some people are so rude, it DL and its suppose to be the happiest place on earth..

MagicB4Money
12-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice words----sorry to hear about this happening to others---but I suspected I wasn't alone. As I said, it didn't ruin the trip (LOVED the new sub ride and we won a pass to a free dessert buffet at Plaza Inn!) But it was enough of an irritant that we'll keep our visits at every few years. We could choose a less-busy time to go, but we just love the holiday decorations. But next time maybe I'll be ready with some more imaginiative things to say???

KatieJay
12-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Being a mom of two girls (5 & 8), one of who is especially antsy (5), the only time this kid sits still is if she's asleep, seriously.. I am very aware of other kids behavior. I understand kids are excited, but that is absolutely not an excuse to ignore your child's behavior. I am constantly telling my little one to stop hanging on the rail (it's a rope not a ride, stay on your feet it's not a seat) and stop squirming, watch where your going, don't run in to the people in front of you, at times I feel like a broken record... but I know it's starting to sink in b/c if the girls see another child doing something I tell them not to they say "mommy, look that kids being naughty, they're climbing on the rocks", its kind of funny when the kids hear and give us a dirty look, it still usually doesn't get the parents to tell the kids to stop, usually its a CM making an announcement, "please don't climb on the rocks".

Sometimes I feel parents are giving me looks for reprimanding my child b/c they aren't behaving, yes I'm stern w/ my kids but we still have fun, you have to be consistent or they will act like little hellions. And if they run in to someone on accident I alway make sure we apologize. I dont understand these parents who are totally oblivious to their childrens behavior, but then again anyone can have a kids.

Yes it can get crowded and like tinkermommy said that's why we have AP's, we try to avoid crowds and if we encounter one, we can leave. I know I get grumpy waiting in a sea of people after a long day at DL, but I don't push and shove, it's not like thats gonna get you out of the park any faster, some people are so rude, it DL and its suppose to be the happiest place on earth..

I feel that way too sometimes, like a broken record, but my 3 year old already will point out if another child is misbehaving. Or tell them herself that they are not following the rules, which I suppose is rather bossy, but better than being an unruly child herself. I'd rather sound like a broken record or an overbearing parent than let my children ruin other peoples experience at DLR. She still loves it, and has a great time, she just doesn't ruin it for others. I always get irritated when I read about people complaining about strollers in DL, but I just remind myself that I'm always very cautious, and if I were to run into someone on accident, I would appologize, a lot. There are just different kinds of parents out there, and I'm sorry you ran into the less considerent ones. And apparently I can't spell. blah

jrsharp21
12-07-2008, 09:28 PM
We went last night and the crowds were horrendous. During the parade they were directing people to go through the stores to leave and it was barely moving. People were shoving like crazy. These women next to me were worried about their young children who were in a double stroller that was fairly exposed, they though someone was going to fall on top of the stroller. I know the stage setup was causing some traffic issues but I wish they had figured out a better solution. It almost appeared that the side walk on the side of main street with the ice cream parlor on it was just full of people stopped to watch the parade. Then the people that were actually moving on the sidewalk were heading toward the castle, so there was no quick way to move toward the exits.

You're right though- it's not just the traffic it's how people choose to react. I can't tell you the number of times I have adults hit me with their strollers and fail to say anything. It's not like I'm cutting in front of them, there sometimes are situations where the crowd finally starts moving, and they're not watching so they fail to move so I'll move in front of them to where the crowd is a few feet in front of them and they finally notice and carelessly push their stroller forward into me. I mean I would never do anything back, but they do that to the wrong person, and you never know how they might react.

I was in this crowd on the sidewalk near the bakery trying to get back in to the park. We were at a stand still. I did see an adult couple act very rude. As the CM was trying to pull up the poles and rope so they could put people in the street, the husband followed right behind the CM and basically put his shoulder down and barrelled through the crowd while dragging his wife. We couldn't believe it. Luckily he was shut down after a few more feet as the CM turned around and told every to move to the street.

janell
12-08-2008, 11:11 AM
We have seen the side of Main Street, with the bakery and ice cream place, be in total grid lock twice now. Once in Oct and then last friday night. No one moves, because there is no place to go. And there are no CM there to help. Wait there were two out side the bakery telling people to cross the street. I said there is no one up here dirceting traffic and they both looked at me, like what are they suppost to do. And then one yelled keep moving. What?? How could any one move?

I will no longer go into DL at night. I just can't take it anymore, to many people an not enought CM that will direct traffic.

dlfansx4
12-08-2008, 03:06 PM
We stopped going on the weekends in December, just because of the crowd issue. We rarely stay until the evening when we go (our usual day is Sunday morning/afternoon) but do plan one evening in December for the Holiday parade/fireworks. Two years ago we went on a Friday and the crowds were so terrible that it really took the magic out of the experience. Now we take the kids out of school a little early one day in early December and go during the week. It makes for a much nicer trip.

screamin4ever
12-08-2008, 07:02 PM
As nice as the evening entertainment is I hate the crowds it generates. Disneyland is poorly designed to handle the massive crowds and castle-centric fireworks. I wish they would build the shopping arcades behind Main Street so crowd flow would be better.

cpeak
12-08-2008, 08:11 PM
This isn't just at Disneyland. My daughters just had a performance at a local X-mas event. While waiting for the performance to begin we had them lined up in the order they would be performing. This of course blocked part of a walk way. People were pushing through lines of little kids, mostly girls. Drunk men, pushing right through the lines of little dancers, strollers bumping into the girls. When we asked them to please go around and not trample the little kids we got rude remarks uttered back at us and people pushing us. It was so much worse than anything I have ever been in at Disneyland. It was so funny because this was supposed to be a X-mas event and there was very little holiday cheer.

jenniebean
12-08-2008, 11:45 PM
I wish they would build the shopping arcades behind Main Street so crowd flow would be better.
But then what would be on Main Street? :confused:

I do honestly feel that my four years in a high school of over 4500 prepared me for Disney "dodging" (as I call it)... do you know how difficult it is to cross a hallway when people are packed like cattle so you aren't late for class? Or try to catch your ride while avoiding being tripped by those rolling backpacks... totally like a Disney obstacle course.

My biggest issue in the park is when I'm moving with the "flow of the crowd" & some link of people suddenly snakes in between me & the crowd, & if it's a family, I always try to stop to let them all through because no one wants to be separated from their kids/parents, but stopping the natural flow of traffic can cause quite a bit of problems...

foolishmortal
12-09-2008, 01:13 PM
I find that I'm far better off to keep on the very edge of a parade crowd on main street. By this I mean we stay next to Frontier land or tomorrow land and escape into one of them just before the event totally ends and hang out in there till the crowds are almost gone then we stroll through the stores on the way out.
I have found that far more fun and safer for my kids and DH.

We catch a few empty rides and do some shopping and just sit on a bench and have a hot coco and snack. I have found that I actually get out of the park faster that way and we enjoy it much more!
We even have rode the train all the way around then hoped off as the crowd at the gates thinned.

It helps to keep the magic and less stress for the DH and kids.

Sorry so many people have no manners at all. I think this should be a required course in schools! Everyday we can practice Min's of good manners, like thank you, standing still, and saying at least 3 nice things to the person next to us.

I don't know about the rest of you, but scene the economy has gotten bad I do find that I'm encountering more nice people, then rude.(well in my area anyway) It's like somehow people are getting an Idea of what is really important and what is not.

Does anyone remember the old song "Attitude adjustment"?? LOL;)

wvnative
12-10-2008, 11:13 AM
We tend to go in the off season just to avoid the crowds.

On our last trip I had a little guy completely hugging my leg and his folks had no idea until I said "If you hold on any tighter I'm just gonna have to take you home with me." His mother was appauled. lol I'd have been more concerned that my toddler was hanging on for dear life to some woman he didn't know.

I thought my normally calm teenager was going to blow a gasket on the trip before that. Some people have no concept of personal space even when you are standing someplace that should have been out of the way. People just kept touching her and bumping into her even when I was trying to put myself between her and them.

We make it a point to not be anywhere near the castle or main street at the end of a parade, fantasmic, or the fireworks. I loathe being herded like cattle. Especially when is causes me to be separated from my kid. That's just not cool even if she is legally an adult. She's on the short side and tends to get lost in the crowd.

Malcon10t
12-10-2008, 02:20 PM
I thought my normally calm teenager was going to blow a gasket on the trip before that. Some people have no concept of personal space even when you are standing someplace that should have been out of the way. People just kept touching her and bumping into her even when I was trying to put myself between her and them.MDM is severely claustrophobic. She has her "bubble" space, and people who know know to not infringe on her bubble. At Disneyland, we have a "pattern". If we are in a regular line, one sis/bro will go ahead of her, I bring up the backside. ANd we keep a bubble for her.

In crowds, we don't even try to stay together. If it is just "us" (us is about 6 adults) we will just say "Meet up at Jungle Cruise" or Cafe Orleans or whereever. If we have the nieces and nephews (ages 3-7) each big person gets a little person and we do the same thing. It works out better for MDM as is gives her the ability to maneuver the crowds without having to worry about us. With the dog, we usually have someone walking with MDM on the otherside of the dog. MDM can handle being bumped into, but no one better bump the dog.

ChurroGirl
12-10-2008, 03:25 PM
I totally feel all of you here who have been kicked, or bumped into. But I have another problem:

On our trip this past March. FDH & I went for our 4 year anniversary. It was nice most of the time, lots of crowds that were very obnoxious! But I had this magnet attached to my rear that must have said, " If I am not looking, it is ok to grab me!" because over the 4 days we were in DL almost every line we went into where there was a little boy(ages ranged from 4-12) behind me, I got grabbed. I would turn around and as politely as possible ask the parents to make them stop. They never "saw" a thing.

I was getting so frustrated that it got to a point where FDH had to stay behind me with his arms wrapped around me so I wouldnt be violated by the little monsters anymore! Sure people gave us dirty looks cause of their interpretation of PDA, but I would rather have dirty looks than some little boy feeling loosy goosy with my rear.

misdisney
12-10-2008, 10:46 PM
My daughter and I just got back from our 1st and most likely last trip to WDW. We go to Disneyland a couple times a year and have NEVER had this problem. The crowds were not bad and really the kids were not that much of a problem, it was the rude adults. I couldn't believe how rude the people were. We had adults cut in line several different times, people pushing to get by us and the last straw was the woman that almost pushed my daughter off the monteral to get a seat! Not kidding!!!!! We had a great trip for the most part but I guess it just goes to show, there are rude people everywhere. Thats really too bad!

avalosn
12-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Aw, I'm so sorry this happened to you on your trip! Honestly, that's one of the things that makes our APs worthwhile -- when it's like that, we just go home. I know people on vacation don't have that option, and I sympathize!

Tinkermommy, I agree with you about the AP's.....If I was visiting on vacation, I would be extremely annoyed with an experience like this, especially with how much it costs for a DLR vacation......MagicB4Money, welcome to the DL Holiday Season! Sometimes it feels like DL isn't big enough to handle the amount of traffic that comes through, especially during fireworks & Fantasmic.....if you think this is crazy, I wouldn't visit DL on a weekend in the summer.....crowded, hot, cranky & smelly people with limited patience......not a fun combination....

avalosn
12-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Honestly, the parents are the ones to blame for their kids' behavior....whether the kid is 4 years old and playing grabby-grab or 10 years old and having a potty mouth, the parents are the enablers......