PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Walkthrough (long)

ErikBsandiego
12-05-2002, 03:16 PM
My "D" ticket attraction......

I think that they could have a COOL walk through to a dragon's lair (as per Paris Disney). The entrance/exit would be at the FL Skyway station with the show building outside the berm.

This is a walk through attraction. No vehicle (hopefully saving money but also key to what I hope would be the charm of the attraction......)

A) Que - switchbacks "themed" with fake rose bushes and thrones formng the switchbacks. Suggest modifications of railings used at BTM (with increasing complexity as the que moves foward.

B)Entrance......Ruined Castle front. Forced perspective of castle in the distance..

C) Rooms 1 & 2....Story of Sleeping Beauty (thats right, WE are going to vanquish the dragon and we have "reused" the panorama from the castle (OK, I know you are not "in" the castle anymore but hey - I got a DRAGON ;-). We are essentially in the que still, moving foward as the "attraction" loads.....By this time we should have gotten under the berm and are in the show building.....

D) Room 3. CM tells you that your group, like all noble knights, will have to pass a test to face the dragon.....Basically this is the pre-load room. Can either be CM or film. Fairies might be a nice touch with a nice reference to Sleeping beauty).

Room 4(haven't made choice here)

E1) Buzz lightyear technology shooting room- Essentially group is at a shooting gallery with 15-20 "crossbows" with wodden divider. Monsters on walls. Group starts shooting. Some animation as targets are hit. After enough have been (electronic score keeper on wall) test is passed and door opens to dragon room.

E2) The test of searching,..... Big room with details but no way to proceed. CM tells group that their test is to search for the "secret lever". Group starts searching. At some point (qued from room 5 emptying), Fiber optics in wall light up where one guest is searching (Ride operator could que). THis is the signal that the secret panel has been found. Door opens.

Room 5 Dragon

CM tells group they must be quiet if they are to suprise Dragon. Group ushered in and sees sleeping dragon. Hopefully big eyed kids at this point.......of course dragon starts to awake!!! Anamatronic KNIGHT appears....defeats dragon (trick here is to defeat dragon without "killing" as this is Disney - thoughts?)....With the Dragon defeated, the group is ushered out and sees the final scenes from sleeping beauty as they exit through banquet hallway.

Comments? I tried to keep things reasonibly priced since I know the mouse is budget tight. Some of the theming and, of course, the dragon would be money but either the shooting gallery or the "search room" should be minimal money. The show building would also be fairly cheap. I figure this could be done with a budget of 10-20 million tops and would give the park another nice attraction that would help.

RStar
12-05-2002, 05:16 PM
Perhaps I'm not picturing this right, but wouldn't that put the show building right on top of the Festival are? I wouldn't mind that, I haven't set foot in there sence they took out Hunchback, and it's only used for buisness meetings now, which should be held somewhere other than prime theme park realestate.

That sounds like a cool attraction. We need to come up with something for the T Land side now.

I think the show building will need a ride vehicle to keep people moving, but the bulk can be walk through, a bit like Indy.

The way to kill the Dragon could look a lot like in Fantasmic! with so much lighting that you know whats happened, but don't see it. That's also how it was done to kill the witch in Snow White's dark ride.

AliKzam
12-05-2002, 09:23 PM
Maybe that would be a good king-sequence for an all-villain themed ride suggested many times before? Perhaps part of it could be incorporated into an audience participation queue. The dragon could be accessed by a vehicle similar to the Peter Pan vehicle. Maybe it could circle upward around a massive dragon, and even turn and swivle at key moments-- like a doombuggy-- so it appears you're just escaping the dragon's wings or teeth. Rather than destroying the dragon and having to worry about killing it or not, make it so you're vehicle narrowly escapes the dragon through an archway near it's head. That's where the swivling carraige would come into play. You could be staring into the jaws of the dragon, when WHOOSH! Your carraige turns away to whisk you into the next scene of the ride--whatever it would be. Leave the killing to the actual heroes from the stories.
I'm sure many pieces of concept art could be used from the proposed dragon attraction from Animal Kingdom.

ErikBsandiego
12-05-2002, 10:09 PM
Good suggestions. I think (but I didn't have my overhead picture handy) that there is room to the "left" of the festival area. Not sure but I thought you could have both and make it work.

I wanted a "walk through" for two reasons. First, it would be cheaper. I would guess that the omni mover system is costly and probably a major part of any budget and also part fo the yearly O&M that just kills you (since this is essentially a custom made piece of major machinary as their isn't a mass market for doombuggies ;-).

Second, I like the idea of audience participation. Not much of that in Disneyland. Having a guest find "the secret panel" (which could be in a different place in the room each time since the whole room is wire with fiber optics) would be a serious thrill for kids. Crowd control might require some effort by the CM's but I think doable.

Anyway, just some thoughts to follow up on the "we need some swords and socery elements to the Lord of the Rings thread.

jrad32
12-06-2002, 07:54 AM
Ride or walk through doesn't matter to me, it would just be nice to have an attraction in the Festival area. What a waste of space. That and Big Thunder Ranch are just sitting there empty, when there is a lot of potential there for new attrations.