PDA

View Full Version : fireworks: dangerous distraction or special treat?

jenniebean
11-29-2008, 12:28 AM
I got onto the escalator at the M&F parking structure just as the fireworks were starting Thxgiving evening (I was planning on leaving earlier but got distracted by that darn music store again! :rolleyes:) & realized I've never been leaving the parks during the fireworks. First of all, wow-- those are so much louder without the music piped in.

There were several people watching the fireworks from the parking structure, which was cute... what was not so cute were the cars that were just stopped in the middle of the exit paths. Kind of inconvenient. What stunned me the most was when I was exiting the garage & found that people suddenly became completely unaware of other cars & would abruptly stop in the middle of the road or cut across several lanes of traffic to pull over to watch the fireworks. I had to slam on my brakes (not like I was going more than 15, but still) because a car to my left practically TURNED in front of me to get to the median-ish area. There were cars just stopped in their lanes! Seriously? Are fireworks THAT captivating that you forget you're a part of moving traffic?

I think that when people are sitting in the esplanade or DTD or the tram waiting area by the garage-- even the cars who pulled off to the side on Ball-- watching the fireworks are sweet & it made me smile to see their faces light up... but I didn't feel safe driving when half the people in the cars around me weren't paying attention to the road &, drivers included, were all looking upward at the explosions in the sky. Watch the road! I know it's nerve-racking enough for me when I have to get all the way to the right to turn onto Ball, but it was terrifying when the cars around me were just stopping without warning.

Anyone else experience this? I also realized I've never even driven by at those times-- are there similar reactions on the freeways in the area? I mean, I've learned my lesson & will NOT attempt to drive in the area during the fireworks, but does this happen often?

olegc
11-29-2008, 07:20 AM
well, you should see what happens on the 5 freeway sometimes... ON THE FREEWAY! some people pull over to watch. it's no different than folks with cell phones, distractions, etc. the only real difference is the fact that so many people do it all at once. Then again, the ME attitude we all have in today's America is definitely focused on self awareness and focus instead of those around you.

I guess all I can say is don't leave while the fireworks are on...

potzbie
11-29-2008, 08:24 AM
I guess all I can say is don't leave while the fireworks are on...

Yeah. -- "Don't leave the fireworks on ... when you leave the park!"
:rolleyes:

donaldwoods
11-29-2008, 09:51 AM
We where coming out to the parking garage last week and the same thing happened. People pulling off cutting across lanes. I almost hit a couple of them and had to lock up my breaks once. I wanted to call Anaheim PD and have them flush people out of the road. Its not safe and any one who does it is asking to be hit. If you want to see the fireworks stay for them. If you decide to leave stick with that decision.

darph nader
11-29-2008, 02:19 PM
A study years ago. In Europe,cars have NO cup holders.
In the U.S.,people trade in their cars for cars for MORE cup holders.:eek:
Go figure.:rolleyes: