PDA

View Full Version : Family CM Party last night

Grandbreaker
12-04-2002, 11:31 AM
They had the lights on Space Mountain. That was so cool I got to put my hands up and not worry about hitting anything. I am going back Thursday night to do it again.

bluepearl
12-04-2002, 01:37 PM
I thought that was awesome!! I met up with some people from work who told me about that, so I told my friends that we had to go. I think one of my friends got a picture from the top of the track. Wish I could go again...

PXSgeek
12-04-2002, 08:40 PM
mom dad and I all went on tuesday, at around 12:15 i decided to go on Space Mountain for the 2nd time. I rode 3 more times in a row without having to line up:D Ill never forget it!

Polar33
12-04-2002, 10:27 PM
I was very thrilled when I found out that the lights would be on. I rode three times as well. I would have ridden a fourth time but the SM CMs started getting incredibly rude. It was amazing to see everything that is there that you don’t see when it is dark. Ladders just lying about, speakers just sitting on ledges, chairs placed in random locations. It was cool to see how simple the lighting effects actually are too. Next time I'm hoping for Indy with the lights on! ;)

SpacedOutCM
12-04-2002, 11:13 PM
I was working at Space Mountain Monday and Tuesday night. A lot of people were complaining that the lights were ON. Some even said to us "Do you know the lights are on?"

And about us "getting incredibly rude", some of the guests (a.k.a. Cast Members and thier family/friends) were ruder to us than guests. A lot of them were acting like they don't have to follow the rules. So trying to handle the guests was frustrating to us and yeah, I will admit that I made some guest upset.

Originally posted by PXSgeek
I rode 3 more times in a row without having to line up:D Ill never forget it!

are you saying that you got off and got back in line but didn't have to wait? or are you saying that you didn't have to get out of the rocket? A person cannot stay in the rocket and ride again. We make EVERYONE get out of the rocket and if they want to ride again they have to start at the begining of the line.

bluepearl
12-04-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by SpacedOutCM
I was working at Space Mountain Monday and Tuesday night. A lot of people were complaining that the lights were ON. Some even said to us "Do you know the lights are on?"

Bah, get over it (and I'm not talking to you, SpacedOutCM)! If you want to ride SM with the lights OFF, regular park hours are...;) I thought it was kick butt that the lights were on; I didn't think I'd ever get to experience that.

And ditto on Polar33's idea about Indy. I was on it with some friends when the ride shut down, except we were already at the end. I would've found it exceptionally interesting had we stopped somewhere in the middle, particularly the bridge! Made me wonder what most of the ride would look like with all the lights on.

Polar33
12-05-2002, 12:31 AM
SpacedOutCM, I completely understand and agree that many CM-guests were not on their best behavior those nights. I've worked holiday parties and other cast events and at some points you start wondering if you are dealing with fellow CMs or Grad Nite guests.

My concern is over something that I witnessed Tuesday night a little after 9PM where a CM-guest was having obvious difficulty for whatever reason exiting the rocket after it had returned to the station. Not one SM CM came to assist or even discover what was wrong, he could have been injured for all they knew. Instead they were all yelling different and conflicting instructions at him. One I clearly remember hearing is "your going to make us e-stop". After the CM-guest freed himself from the rocket, not a single one of them bothered to see what the problem had been.

I find this to be deplorable behavior, even for a CM party. If this event had happened during regular park hours that guest surely would have had every right to a refunded ticket.

I understand that space has an incredibly short turn around for dispatch, which creates a stressful situation for those who work the attraction, but any CM who cannot remain calm in such a situation should not be running the attraction period.

SpacedOutCM
12-05-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Polar33

My concern is over something that I witnessed Tuesday night a little after 9PM where a CM-guest was having obvious difficulty for whatever reason exiting the rocket after it had returned to the station. Not one SM CM came to assist or even discover what was wrong, he could have been injured for all they knew. Instead they were all yelling different and conflicting instructions at him. One I clearly remember hearing is "your going to make us e-stop". After the CM-guest freed himself from the rocket, not a single one of them bothered to see what the problem had been.

I find this to be deplorable behavior, even for a CM party. If this event had happened during regular park hours that guest surely would have had every right to a refunded ticket.

I understand that space has an incredibly short turn around for dispatch, which creates a stressful situation for those who work the attraction, but any CM who cannot remain calm in such a situation should not be running the attraction period.

I don't remember that so I must have not been in the station at that time.

The situation that occurred, I don't know how to respond to that becuase I'm trying to think of the possibilities that would make the Space Mountain Cast Members act the way they did and what exactly what the problem with the guest was. If i knew exactly what happened then I would understand.

[After the CM-guest freed himself from the rocket]
When I read this, the first thing that I thought of was the guests lapbar...or the guest had long legs and was just trying to get out of the rocket.

Space Mountain Cast Members do a lot of shouting..not becuase we are angry, but because it can get so loud in the station that if we didn't shout, we wouldn't be heard.

bluepearl
12-05-2002, 11:41 PM
I was there during the situation that Polar33 mentioned. I was wondering what was going on, because the guest leaning into the rocked looked like he or she was trying to do something, and then finally the restraint came free and the guy sitting was able to get out. And I saw the CM at the podium yelling, and I knew she was trying to speed things along (whatever her approach may have been) so that the ride wouldn't shut down. I was standing right above the loading area and watched the whole thing.

Earlier in the year, something like that happened to me. I took my little brother to SM and was trying to help him conquer his fear of the attraction. We went on it a second time during the evening, but right before we got on the rocket he told me he had to use the restroom. I was with my friends, so I told him to get walk through the rocket and when I got out, I leaned over to tell my friends that we were going to go to the restroom. A few seconds after I leaned over, the CM loading guests started yelling at me to hurry up and go - and she wasn't yelling so I could hear her over the hustle and bustle. She had an angry look on her face and was yelling at me to leave. I understood that there are safety procedures and they didn't want to have to e-stop the ride, but the fact that she was yelling at me so contemptuously made me really angry. There was another CM standing on the exit side who could've said something to me, but he just stood there. I just didn't find her handling of the situation appropriate.

RStar
12-06-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by SpacedOutCM

And about us "getting incredibly rude", some of the guests (a.k.a. Cast Members and thier family/friends) were ruder to us than guests. A lot of them were acting like they don't have to follow the rules. So trying to handle the guests was frustrating to us and yeah, I will admit that I made some guest upset.

This really surprises me. A large number of the guests are CMs, so this is CMs treating CMs bad. All parties involved should know better. Do they figure at a party like this that they don't need to put on the show because it is only for their fellow CMs? I heard that managers were working the party nights so that hourlys could go to the party, so did we have people working the ride that were not use to the full brunt of working a shift (or did they pull two shifts in a row) so they were a bit cranky? Or was it an isolated incedent? Or does it really matter, and we are making a mountain out of a mole hill;) ?

Merlin
12-07-2002, 09:24 AM
I was lucky enough to attend the Studios/WDI Holiday Party night on Thursday and the entire Space crew was nothing but nice and friendly, even accomidating special seating requests for the front, etc. No yelling or rudeness to be found.

Just my $.02

merlin

Allysen1Derland
12-07-2002, 08:18 PM
I attended the first night, Monday, and had an absolute blast!! I've been going to the Employee Chirstmas Party for 13 yrs. now! (Holy moly! Has it been that long? :confused: ) Yeppers! I started going as a CM at 16 yrs. old. I'm no longer a CM, but my Bestest guy pal is, and it's tradition for him to take me! (Lucky me! :D)

And I have to say, this year was by far THE BEST EVER!! :)

Wer'e talkin' NO LINES! No people!! I had just gone with some of my favorite MP'ers the prior Saturday, and it was so jam-packed on Main Street USA we could barely breath! :eek: On Monday, I had to do it. I HAD to stretch my arms out to the sides and walk down Main Street. While the Christmas Parade was goin' on! I DIDN'T TOUCH A SINGLE SOUL!! Amazing! When the faux snow fell, I got to spin around in it!! Corny, I know, like some bad holiday movie, but still! Worth every second!

Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin was a ghost town! The CM's were just standin' around. I was so stoked!! We were able to hop right on. Indy actually had EMPTY JEEPS!! Splash? Empty! Alice in Wonderland, Pinnochio, Snow White, Mr. Toad? Empty, empty, empty, empty! :) The longest line of the evening was for Clam Chowder bread bowls in NOS! (which was the worst since I was hungry and cranky! :mad: :~D )

Speaking of cranky , only one CM I encountered actually was. Every CM was adorable! On Pirate's, they were playin' around and laughing at Laffitte's Landing. They sang over the loud speaker after the 2nd waterfall. I prefer that over a normal day at DL, well, anyday!

However, the "Cruella-esque" CM I encountered really angered me- big time! We went to have our Christmas character picture taken, and didn't notice the time. The CM guarding the back of the line said, "It's closed." We said, "Oh! Are any of the other lines open?" At that point, she snapped "No! They're all closed! If you had read your pamphlet, you would have seen that it closed at 12:00!" Um, HELLO? No need to snap at us in the most condescending tone ever! I mean, jump back, devil woman! No need to be vicious!:mad: :rolleyes:

Aside from that one experience, it was the most fabulous night ever! :)