PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Christmas CD (NOT AVAILABLE)

Mickey
11-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Hello everyone! The park looks great!

It's kind of wierd that the park does not offer a Holiday Album CD. You go in stores and you find a Walt Disney World Christmas CD, A disney Channel Holiday Cd and a Christmas Lullabay CD, AND WHERE IS THE DISNEYLAND HOLIDAY CD? :( :(

There are several tracks they can include :

Disneyland Holiday CD 2008

1.-Believe in holiday Magic
2.-It's a small world holiday
3.-Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Winter Castle (Act I,II,III)
4.-A Christmas Fantasy Parade

Lets cross our fingers so they can re-release a CD this year!!! :)

disneylandgirl
11-26-2008, 06:07 AM
I'm hoping they come out with this too! I'm going to look for it when I'm there in two and a half weeks!!! :D

mjjpower
11-26-2008, 07:51 AM
I have a Holiday CD with the Believe music on it....I tried to find it this morning but it is in with my Christmas things. I ordered it 6 years ago after visiting Disneyland and falling in love with the music from the Believe fireworks show.

TikiGeek
11-26-2008, 08:06 AM
It's kind of wierd that the park does not offer a Holiday Album CD. ...4.-A Christmas Fantasy Parade We've been asking for the Christmas Fantasy Parade music for years. As it was explained to me by a very reliable source;They tried for years to get the rights to all of the music in the parade and we're unsuccessful - finally they gave up.

I've been told that this is one of the most requested songs at the "Main St. Music Store" (20th Century Music?)I'm hoping that someday this music is released. I'm so greatful that we have our videos. :)

jenniebean
11-26-2008, 11:50 AM
I frequently bug them at the music store about the PoD soundtrack & a few CMs have told me that DL doesn't make parade soundtracks the way WDW does... I haven't the slightest idea why not. Like, why wouldn't a company try to cash in on it? :confused::confused:

olegc
11-26-2008, 10:29 PM
We've been asking for the Christmas Fantasy Parade music for years. As it was explained to me by a very reliable source;They tried for years to get the rights to all of the music in the parade and we're unsuccessful - finally they gave up.

I realize many sources are good - but how does Believe in Holiday Magic make it onto a CD but Christmas Fantasy does not? with all of those classical elements you'd think that the royalties on the Believe Holiday would be quite extensive. Unless, of course, the protection time ran out.

JeffG
11-27-2008, 09:35 AM
I realize many sources are good - but how does Believe in Holiday Magic make it onto a CD but Christmas Fantasy does not? with all of those classical elements you'd think that the royalties on the Believe Holiday would be quite extensive. Unless, of course, the protection time ran out.

With the exception of "Remember the Magic" (which Disney owns), I'm pretty sure just about everything in "Believe...In Holiday Magic" is public domain.

It also is a much newer show than the parade and the CD releases are a fairly recent phenomenon. It is likely that they made sure they had the clearances for a CD release when the show was being created.

-Jeff

olegc
11-28-2008, 06:57 AM
With the exception of "Remember the Magic" (which Disney owns), I'm pretty sure just about everything in "Believe...In Holiday Magic" is public domain.

It also is a much newer show than the parade and the CD releases are a fairly recent phenomenon. It is likely that they made sure they had the clearances for a CD release when the show was being created.

-Jeff

i agree - HOWEVER - it seems Disney World has no problem creating CDs almost annually of parade music. In fact - one cd that was created almost 2 years ago was all parade music.

JeffG
11-28-2008, 09:15 AM
i agree - HOWEVER - it seems Disney World has no problem creating CDs almost annually of parade music. In fact - one cd that was created almost 2 years ago was all parade music.

True, but those are also all for fairly recent parades. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the music from their Christmas parade (which has also been around for years) has been released on CD either.

Even though much of the music in the Christmas parades is public domain and/or owned by Disney, the major issue with releasing recordings on CD is actually the performance rather than the music rights. If the contract with the performing musicians does not authorize the release of the music on an album/CD, then such a release would require that a new contract be negotiated to specifically cover that. Depending on the circumstances, that can be a very expensive proposition and, often, the costs can be much higher than the potential sales of a CD. This is especially true if the music was performed by union musicians, which is very likely to be the case for any Disney parade or show.

In recent years, Disney has had enough success with the various park music CDs that it likely has become standard procedure to include rights for a CD release in any new music contracts. For older shows and parades (or attractions, for that matter) it is much less likely that those rights were included in the contracts. Obviously, they have had some success over the years with re-negotiating those rights, but in some cases, apparently including the Christmas parades, the costs must still be prohibitive.

-Jeff

jenniebean
11-28-2008, 12:55 PM
My "Magic in the Streets" WDW parade album is from 2001 & if it's got anything to do with rights to the Christmas songs, then what about the Candlelight Processional CDs? Mine is from 2000... not so recent.

JeffG
11-28-2008, 05:02 PM
"A Christmas Fantasy" has been the Christmas parade at Disneyland since 1994, so it is quite a bit older than those other recordings.

Again, the issue is likely the rights to the performances, not the copyrights on the songs themselves. The musicians that perform the music are compensated differently for a CD than for the use of the music in the parks as part of the shows. If the contract doesn't cover that, then Disney has to re-negotiate and the cost may or may not be justified by potential sales.

-Jeff

jenniebean
11-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Again, the issue is likely the rights to the performances, not the copyrights on the songs themselves.
ahhh got it...

still want the soundtrack, though :rolleyes: