PDA

View Full Version : What is the best restaurant to eat in?

ZippityDooGuy
12-03-2002, 07:42 PM
What is the best restaraunt to eat in and can I get a reservation??? I dont care tto much about price (meals within 35-45$), but I would like good food with a good atmosphere

rexfarms
12-03-2002, 08:08 PM
Blue Bayou.:)

Laffite
12-03-2002, 08:12 PM
yea what he said.....umm...haven't been there in a while. Might drop by this weekend :) Love that place

Preston

ldsguy
12-03-2002, 08:20 PM
I personally really like White Water Snack Bar in the Grand Californian, they serve full meals and in my opinion has the best food in the resort, the atmosphere is really nice, calm, relaxed, never really busy, inexpensive....no reservations available or needed, it's a resraunt, where you go in, get some of the stuff you want, then order hot food with the cashier, then they bring you the food, they are not allowed to take tips either.

Laffite
12-03-2002, 08:24 PM
oww. I'd like to try that. Yum! :)

Preston

KarenW2
12-03-2002, 10:29 PM
Storyteller's Cafe at the Grand Californian Hotel is our all-around favorite place to eat at DLR. We think it's the best deal for the price, food and service. Lots of great choices for breakfast, lunch & dinner, with a regular menu as well as buffets.

JasonWorrel
12-03-2002, 11:03 PM
Eat at the resort or anywhere?

If anywhere, then try Antonello's across from South Coast Plaza.

disneydana
12-04-2002, 05:29 AM
The Napa Rose at the GRand Californian is award winning! Awesome food.

EandCDad
12-04-2002, 07:13 AM
I like the Whitewater too. We eat there often. However, it is very casual. If you are talking about the Resort, Storytellers is a nice place right in that price range.

Kevin Yee
12-04-2002, 07:29 AM
Does atmosphere mean:

- themed? (Blue Bayou)
- kid-friendly and themed? (Rainforest or Storyteller's)
- authentic themed? (Jazz Kitchen, sometimes bad food though)
- adult sophistocated? (Catal)
- expensive-feeling? (Napa)
- carnival views? (Avalon Cove)

hbquikcomjamesl
12-04-2002, 07:43 AM
Entire Disneyland resort: Blue Bayou. Hands down.

DCA: It USED to be the Soap Opera Bistro. Maybe, someday, it will be again.

Just for good measure, if you're thinking of going to WDW anytime soon, try these

MK: Cinderella's Royal Table, The Liberty Tree.
Epcot: Rose & Crown, Alfredo's
MGM: Mama Melrose's

ldsguy
12-04-2002, 07:56 AM
DCA: It USED to be the Soap Opera Bistro. Maybe, someday, it will be again.

Nope, it won't be, it is going to be Playhouse Disney, apparently very soon, although I am not exactly sure when though, it was supposed to open Thanksgivig Weekend, latest I have heard is Jan. They are leaving the Kitchen in, in case they want to put a restraunt back in though, but it will co-exist with Playhouse Disney if they do.

refurbmike
12-04-2002, 08:35 AM
Official opening date is scheduled for April, around the same time Pooh opens.

hbquikcomjamesl
12-04-2002, 09:08 AM
I was referring to the rumblings I've heard that the Playhouse Disney thing is to be temporary, and that they would not be removing the kitchen. It's been said that after ToT opens, there will be a need for another full-service restaurant, and SOB will be reactivated as a restaurant (not necessarily as SOB, but hopefully as SOME SORT of TV-production-themed restaurant). THAT is what I meant by "maybe, someday, it will be again."

Not Afraid
12-04-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by ZippityDooGuy
What is the best restaraunt to eat in and can I get a reservation??? I dont care tto much about price (meals within 35-45$), but I would like good food with a good atmosphere

Well, "best" is subjective but "reservation" is not. From the Dining Guide, here are the restaurants that you can get a reservations at at DLR:

Catal
Granville's
Napa Rose
Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen
The Vinyard Room

Blue Bayou
Carnation Cafe
PCH Grill
ESPN Zone
Hook's Pointe
House of Blues
La Brea Bakery
Naples Ristorante
Rainforest
Storytellers
Wine Country Trattoria
Yamabuki

All of these resstaurants have their good and bad points. My personal "best" would include:

(Fine Dining)
Catal
Napa Rose
Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen
The Vinyard Room

(Casual Dining)
Blue Bayou
La Brea Bakery
Storytellers
Wine Country Trattoria
Yamabuki

Given the chice of one it would be Napa Rose. Second would be Catal. Third - Blue Bayou.

hbquikcomjamesl
12-04-2002, 10:02 AM
Hmm. I'd personally classify BB as "fine dining." If I remember right, "Catal" had very little on its menu that I even recognized as food, and at the Vineyard Room, the prices were rather steep, and the menu seemed to be set up with the food subordinate to the wine (not a good thing for teetotalers).

Doodle Duck
12-04-2002, 10:16 AM
So far our best experiences have been at Brennens Jazz Kitchen,
Price is right for the amount of food (lots) and the service both times has been outstanding (Old time Disney quality!) with the wait staff very friendly and funny. Obviously well trained which is a tip of the hat to mgmt. The food has been really good and you must have the Gumbo Ya Ya for the real deal (not the fake Gumbo in D-land..though that tastes ok it's just not authentic).
Happy that crummy Yriba took a dump...Rainforest is a fun atmosphere but the food is so-so on average.
One of the neat things about Brennens is the crunchy Hot Bread Loaf they bring immediately...and they will keep bringing it as long as you want!
We ate 4 loaves with lunch the other day! hahahaha.
Lori had the Eggs Benedict and said it was amongst the best she had for a long time.

cstephens
12-04-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Kevin Yee
Does atmosphere mean:
- carnival views? (Avalon Cove)

Wow, gotta get that dig in, even when it's just someone asking about restaurant information.

I miss the food they used to serve at Avalon Cove Bar. We ate there very often, and I loved being able to see and hear all the great stuff coming from the Paradise Pier section of DCA.

As for available restaurant locations, my two recommendations would be Catal in Downtown Disney and Napa Rose in the Grand Californian. Napa Rose is a little more formal, though not stuffy by any means, and it's a bit pricier. Catal has a great selection of different kinds of food (hbquikcomjamesl - You don't recognize rotisserie chicken, steak, pasta, fish? I'm confused.) and is a little more informal, though with great atmosphere. Both places take reservations.

hbquikcomjamesl
12-04-2002, 11:53 AM
(hbquikcomjamesl - You don't recognize rotisserie chicken, steak, pasta, fish? I'm confused.)Well, I did say, "if I remember right." :D And I think my memories were colored somewhat by the fact that the only time I poked my nose in, it was quite late, and I was looking for a reasonably inexpensive "comfort food" dinner.

blusilva
12-04-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
...at the Vineyard Room, the prices were rather steep, and the menu seemed to be set up with the food subordinate to the wine (not a good thing for teetotalers).

I'd have to vehemently disagree with you on that one. Well, not about the steep prices, because they are. But I just ate there last Sunday night and chose not to have the wine pairing with my meal (not a teetotaler, just not a fan of wine) and had a FABULOUS meal, one of the best I've had in my 36 years on this planet.

If the food is subordinate to the wine, the wine must be out of this world!

Disneyfreak
12-04-2002, 02:52 PM
blue bayou

CarlieB
12-05-2002, 01:37 PM
My vote would be for Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen. We had a fantastic meal there a few months ago. I've heard really good things about Napa Rose, but unfortunately we didn't make it there. The meal we had at the Uva Bar was nice, but it's not too formal there. Hth:-)

Cooie
12-05-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
Wow, gotta get that dig in, even when it's just someone asking about restaurant information.

I'm just curious, how is that a dig? Isn't Paradise Pier supposed to be a tribute to bordwalk carnivals? So then, isn't that the view you get from sitting at Avalon Cove? I don't see how that's a dig.

Count me in on the Blue Bayou boat, for lunch *and* dinner. Both menus are fantastic, and it's got atmosphere galore.

jrad32
12-06-2002, 08:02 AM
Inside the parks I like Blue Bayou because its a fun place to eat and the food is pretty good. It is overpriced like many things in Disney, but it's a fun place to grab a bite that won't come back to bite you an hour later.

DisneyFan25863
12-22-2002, 03:46 PM
By far Rancho del Zocalo in Frointierland is my fav. place. The prices are not too high, and the food is execellent. The best thing is the rib and chicken mix. :D