PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout a Lord of the Rings attraction?

Pages : [1] 2

Scalper10
12-03-2002, 06:27 PM
Get rid of the motor boat/Sub Lagoon and do a Lord of the Rings/Middle Earth attraction in that area?

Star Tours and Indy are non- Disney attractions. So why not?

Disneyfreak
12-03-2002, 07:27 PM
Well this would not fit with the theming. But good idea to get rid of the boat area too, adding to the space to the sub lagoon area. Forgot about that area. They could do something like a new vehicle that travels underwater that they come up with. This would represent tomorrow and fantasy.

Laffite
12-03-2002, 08:16 PM
Well, even though ST and INDY aren't "Disney", they're there because they can fit in the theme. I can't see how can LOTR get shoved in there. (ohh, Two Towers commercial is on now! W00t! :D ). I can't see something as big and long as LOTR be a ride anyway. What sort of ride did you have in mind?

Preston

rexfarms
12-03-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Laffite
Well, even though ST and INDY aren't "Disney", they're there because they can fit in the theme. I can't see how can LOTR get shoved in there. (ohh, Two Towers commercial is on now! W00t! :D ). I can't see something as big and long as LOTR be a ride anyway. What sort of ride did you have in mind?

Preston

I agree!:)

cstephens
12-03-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Scalper10
Get rid of the motor boat/Sub Lagoon and do a Lord of the Rings/Middle Earth attraction in that area?

Star Tours and Indy are non- Disney attractions. So why not?

Because the rights holders of Star Wars and Indy allowed Disney to make an attraction. Disney would have to obtain theme-park rights before proceeding.

Mad Hatter
12-03-2002, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE] Get rid of the motor boat/Sub Lagoon and do a Lord of the Rings/Middle Earth attraction in that area?

It could work, Phantom boats were in Fantasyland.and take out iasw and use the building, wow, both outdoor and dark ride!:rolleyes:

Rallymonkey23
12-03-2002, 10:23 PM
I would like to hear your idea of what kind of ride you are talking about Scalper10. I like the LOTR, now tell us how you would like to be..........
:confused:

winniepooh
12-03-2002, 10:56 PM
The problem is New Line cinema is an AOL Warner company, and I dont think Warner are selling any rights to Disney. They do have their own theme parks.

hbquikcomjamesl
12-04-2002, 07:35 AM
The biggest problem I see is that Tolkien hated Disney with a passion. It's my understanding that he thought Disney's treatment of classic fairy tales was disrespectful to the original source material, and that he lightened the tone of them too much. I don't see the Tolkien estate ever wanting to deal with the Disney company in light of that.

Sort of the way I feel about MGM's horrendously distorted version of Baum's The Wizard of Oz. True, the Disney company's Return to Oz was a badly distorted and condensed version of The Land of Oz and Ozma of Oz, but much of the distortion (like MGM's "ruby slippers" [silver in the book] replacing the Nome King's magic belt, or the dream fantasy angle [represented by the electro-convulsive shock therapy machine with a more-than-passing resemblence to Tik-Tok]) would never have happened without the MGM version, and at least Return to Oz never made anybody think it, rather than the books, was the canonical version.

Personally, I like both Disney and Tolkien. And I think that if Tolkien hadn't had such a bee in his bonnet about Disney, (or had realized that nothing Disney had done to Snow White came anywhere near the magnitude of what MGM did to Baum's entire Oz cycle) the two men would have been the best of friends. But I'm firmly convinced that Tolkien would have been more upset over any dealings with Disney than he would have been over even the hatchet-job Ralph Bakshi did on LotR.

cstephens
12-04-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by winniepooh
The problem is New Line cinema is an AOL Warner company, and I dont think Warner are selling any rights to Disney. They do have their own theme parks.

But does New Line own all the rights to the Tolkien works or did they just purchase the film/home entertainment rights to make this particular trilogy? Unless theme park rights were included in the sale, those rights would rest with the Tolkien estate or whoever is controlling it now.

Ace
12-04-2002, 03:45 PM
I think they should make a Harry Potter ride at MGM and DCA in the hollywood thing. If they actually spent money on it, it could be good for the park.

Disneyfreak
12-04-2002, 04:32 PM
It wouldnt make any sense what so ever to put harry potter in disney parks. Harry Potter is strictly Warner Brothers. This is horrible that disney cant come up with any kind of movie that really attracts both adults and children like harry potter. Thank god they come up with something good, IE Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion. I want disney to come up with their own original ride, not some other companies idea. It just shows if they were to do that, that disney cant come up with any ideas of their own.:confused: The main reason everyone is frusterated is becasue its been way too long that we havent gotten one new ride since 1995. Its rediculous that we have all of those empty spots in Disneyland and they wont put anything in there reletively quickly. They retire rides and do nothing with the space. Soon all we will have is Dumbo the way things are going. EXAMPLE:
1.Submarine Voyage (how many years has this ride been vacent.)
2.Cosmic Waves
3.Circle Vision
4.Rocket Rods
5.Sleeping Beauty Castle
6.Super Star Limo
7.Boat Ride(Nothing has been in this area since I was like 2, LOL)

Thats alot of attractions that are vacent and is unexcuseable.

innerSpaceman
12-04-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
I want disney to come up with their own original ride, not some other companies idea . . . The main reason everyone is frusterated is becasue its been way too long that we havent gotten one new ride since 1995.
Longer than that since any original ride, as '95's Indiana Jones was based on the work of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg. It's been since 1989's Splash Mountain that the Park had any original Disney attractions. And it's been since 1979's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad that we had a true original attraction created from scratch by the imagineers for the Park.

I used to rail against the likes of Star Tours and Jones being in the Park, but since it's apparently come down to the choice between nothing and adaptations of some other company's work, I'll take a Lord of the Rings ride any day. (Of course, there's still Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and other Disney movies that would make great attractions).

Disneyfreak
12-04-2002, 04:49 PM
Lets protest with our signs in front of City Hall chanting.

WE WANT RIDES FROM SCRATCH, WE WANT RIDES FROM SCRATCH.

DONT GIVE US CRAP FROM MOVIES. WE WANT RIDES FROM SCRATCH.

YOU HAVE PLUNTY OF ROOM FOR ANOTHER DISNEY SPECTICLE THAT WILL MAKE OUR MOUTHS DROP

WE WANT RIDES FROM SCRATCH.

how was that. That sums it up.

ChipmunkStar
12-04-2002, 05:51 PM
OK, chanting.

Will that be before the "Miracle on 34th Street" battery dumping on City Hall's counter (rather than letters on the judge's bench) re-enactment, or after?

Can we throw a few chants of "Take out Eisner!" in there as well? ;) :)

ralfrick
12-04-2002, 06:27 PM
The rides in Fantasyland may be based on Disney films, but those stories were around long before Walt Disney; ideas have been borrowed since the beginning. When the imagineers are allowed to do it right, they can come up with incredible attractions. And I tell you, a really well done e-ticket Harry Potter attraction would boost attendence for a long time. Which studio made the movie has no real relevence to my enjoyment of an attraction.

Kuzcotopia
12-04-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman

Longer than that since any original ride, as '95's Indiana Jones was based on the work of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg. It's been since 1989's Splash Mountain that the Park had any original Disney attractions.

You are forgetting Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin, Gadget's Go-Coaster, Rocket Rods, Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, Innoventions, Tarzan's Treehouse, The upcoming Pooh ride, all of Toontown...

And it's been since 1979's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad that we had a true original attraction created from scratch by the imagineers for the Park.

Well for that, I'd point again to Rocket Rods and Innoventions, but I'm not sure I'd call them as original as Indiana Jones or Star Tours!

I used to rail against the likes of Star Tours and Jones being in the Park, but since it's apparently come down to the choice between nothing and adaptations of some other company's work, I'll take a Lord of the Rings ride any day.

Right there you lost me! You used to rail AGAINST(!?!) Star Tours and Indiana Jones?! Those attractions are FANTASTIC! Those are two movies that should have been released by Disney, if there was any logic to Hollywood! They fit perfectly in the themes of both lands.

Disneyland is not merely about the re-purposing of Disney media properties. It's about telling stories and sharing adventures with your family.

Oh, and a Lord of the Rings ride will never happen. The rights are overseen by Christopher Tolkien, and he even hates the movies!

LIMANDL4EVA
12-04-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Mad Hatter
[QUOTE] take out iasw and use the building, wow, both outdoor and dark ride!:rolleyes:

yes, sure lets take out IASM uh HUH:rolleyes:
jk jk:D

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
12-04-2002, 09:18 PM
The problem with themeing could be easy enough - just add a new 'land' for LOTR. Middle Earth could be where all the figure 8 monorail track and Autopia / Sub Lagoon space is now.

Or it could be an extension of Fantasyland however much darker :-)

Kuzcotopia
12-04-2002, 10:16 PM
Middle Earth needs a whole theme park!

You start out at the entrance, The Shire! Hobbiton is all around you. The Green Dragon is a restaurant near the entrance, and there are hobbit-holes and the old mill. Lots of crafts and gifts to buy there.

Then you walk to the hub, Bree. The Inn of the Prancing Pony is there, as is Bywater and the Midgewater Marshes (the moat around Amon Sul)

From Bree you can see Weathertop looming above. On either side you see the weenies of the possible destinations. Orthanc, in Isengard, Minus Tirith in Gondor, Barad-dur in Mordor and the Lonely Mountain. From Bree, you decide to journey to the Lonely Mountain and ride a ride that is very similar to the Matterhorn, except with Smaug instead of the Abominable Snowman.

Be sure to stop at Gollum's cave (hosted by Chicken of the Sea) for some nice fish.

Next, it's off to Isengard to ride Sauraman's Mine Carts, and the popular Spinning Wizard ride, sponsored by Palantir's Peanuts!

Take a load off your bare feet at the Rivendell, sponsored by Ford of Bruinen, because you're going on a trip to MORDOR!

Try going in at the Black Gates, or take the back way past Minus Morgul at Cirith Ungol! Ride Shelob's Lair, the ultimate DARK ride!
Then it's time to march on Mount Doom, throw the ring in, if you are brave enough!

Visit Minus Tirith on your way out, and pay your respects to the King and Queen. Hope you have your credit card handy, because you can Scour the Shire for BARGAINS before you leave!

SzczerbiakManiac
12-04-2002, 10:45 PM
Can I buy stock in this new park idea of yours Kuzcotopia?

Bill Catherall
12-05-2002, 08:37 AM
Palantir's Peanuts
Ford of Bruinen
Scour the Shire

Bahahaha! Classic! :D

ErikBsandiego
12-05-2002, 01:54 PM
ROFL about the idea of a LOTR themepark......

Gotta say that I think the themes of LOTR are generally too dark to be made into an effective theme park ride. If you tried to capture the less than "happy ending" aspects of Middle Earth you would have parents of crying 6 year olds DEMANDING their money back at City Hall. If you "disneyfied it" (notice how usually only ONE villan dies in Disney and, even then, his/her demise is usually only hinted at. How do you make THAT work in LOTR?) they would be VILLIFIED by the LOTR fan community.

Now the park COULD use some swords and sorcery.......so two options....

A) A "walk through" Dragon's lair (like Paris DL) that could be built outside the berm with the entrance by the old FL skyway station. (actually I have an idea for that which I will start a new thread on....;-)

B) New Dark ride using the "buzz lightyear" technology (OK, gasoline suit now on).....to replace Alice. Make it something where you are shooting dragons, monsters, etc. with "crossbows". Not sure the second works that well as the Alice building is small but I like that it "bumps up" against the castle.

innerSpaceman
12-05-2002, 02:35 PM
I love Kuzcotopia's plans for a LotR theme park. Not only was the post hysterically funny, but the kernel of a great theme park idea is in there.

Not all theme parks must appeal to every demographic group. If LotRLand does not do much for the kiddies, build it across the way from LegoLand, which does not do much for the over-8 set.

Kuzcotopia
12-06-2002, 12:41 AM
And re-name it "Legolasland."

Nobody got my Shelob's Lair joke. Shelob, last child of the Ungoliant? DARK ride?

Don't tell me none of you have read the Silmarillion!

If Warner Brothers had half a brain, they'd have already opened a Harry Potter theme park in Scotland.

Someone's gonna do that, right?