PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion 40th Merchandise Event - 2009

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

olegc
11-23-2008, 08:51 AM
WOO HOO!! Finally a BIG EVENT. Seems like they are pulling out all of stops on this one (at least on paper). Lots of info for now - but the event will be on 09-09-09. Check things out at www.disneygallery.com.

MammaSilva
11-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Thanks so much for sharing this link! I just finished all my gift giving plans for 09 for someone near and dear to me...

cstephens
11-23-2008, 10:30 AM
So they've finally announced it officially? I'm a little surprised they're doing it this early.

cstephens
11-23-2008, 10:40 AM
OK, just looked at the details. They are going to require that each individual person register, which means that it's possible for a couple to only be able to register one-half of the couple if slots sell out. That's just wrong. I get their desire to cut down on hoarding reservations, but I hope they rethink that restriction before tickets actually go on sale in January.

Jeffreaky
11-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Yeah, we were excited when a CM last week told us Shag is doing the artwork for the anniversary. My 3 year old is in love with the HM. After 15 we stopped counting how many times he went on the HM. That's all he wanted to do!

We're going to have to make a special non-November trip for this one.

olegc
11-23-2008, 03:20 PM
OK, just looked at the details. They are going to require that each individual person register, which means that it's possible for a couple to only be able to register one-half of the couple if slots sell out. That's just wrong. I get their desire to cut down on hoarding reservations, but I hope they rethink that restriction before tickets actually go on sale in January.

how else do you measure proper attendance for merchandise production runs as well as food prep? especially now in our "tight" economy. Believe me, I am not trying to support Disney on this - but looking at what else could be done?

JoeCool
11-23-2008, 03:46 PM
how else do you measure proper attendance for merchandise production runs as well as food prep? especially now in our "tight" economy. Believe me, I am not trying to support Disney on this - but looking at what else could be done?

I see both of your points. I think they should limit it to 2 tickets PER registration online. Many couples (married and unmarried) as well as family and friends may want to go. Does anyone know what the attendance limit is for the event? The Pirates event back in 2000 had almost 1,000 people I think.

ChurroGirl
11-23-2008, 04:34 PM
This will have to be a belated gift for my FDH!

cstephens
11-23-2008, 10:01 PM

I'm not understanding your first question. They'll know who's coming/how many by who registers, same as for all other prior events. As for merchandise runs, that's decided ahead of time - here's how many of each item is available, whoever wants it, put it down on your RSP forms. How on earth can it make a difference to know how the attendees are related to each other? And are they going to allow people to cancel and give full refunds if the wife gets in but the husband doesn't because the spaces have all run out by then? Seems like it can't make good business sense to tell one-half of a couple that they can pay for their airfare to fly to the event, but they'll have to leave the spouse at home. Or the husband can go to a higher-level event, but the wife will have to do a lower-level one. That would seem especially difficult to reconcile with the whole "couples attending can have a room for two consecutive nights instead" practice if each half of the couple has a different package staying at a different hotel.

I also don't get what the economy really has to do with it. Once registration for this event goes online, it will seem like there's no economic problem at all. The Haunted Mansion is *very* popular, and there hasn't been a true Haunted Mansion event (unlike HMH) in quite some time - I can't remember if they did an actual event for the 35th. I don't think so. Haunted Mansion merchandise sells outrageously, and a lot of people are going to want to go to this event.

I could maybe understand limiting it to 2 or 4 registrations per transaction, but that all depends on what it is they're trying to do. It's never been an issue registering a couple together before so I'm not sure what they're trying to accomplish that's prompting them to do this now. I wish they'd actually address the problem itself rather than using a too-wide net to catch the wrong kind of fish, kind of like they did with the camera lens size thing.

lilfigment
11-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Anyone with previous experience with these events know if they will want all the money in January or if its just a deposit basis?

MammaSilva
11-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Anyone with previous experience with these events know if they will want all the money in January or if its just a deposit basis?

They are going to want full payment at time of purchase and there will be a no refund statement but based on cstephens concerns I can see that one being 'challenged'.

I can see one half of a couple doing the hotel package and the second just doing the 250 price point unless they choose to stay 2 nights.

janell
11-24-2008, 12:55 PM
I do agree, they should allow you to reg for two people. Im sure there are some people who would do the event by themselves. Im not one of them and would be upset if I couldn't take someone with me.

JoeCool
11-24-2008, 05:34 PM
I do agree, they should allow you to reg for two people. Im sure there are some people who would do the event by themselves. Im not one of them and would be upset if I couldn't take someone with me.

I remember for the Pirates event in 2000. There were a lot of people like a 1000 that filled the seminar/talk in the Fantasyland Theatre. I hope Disney allows 2 or 3 people per registration. I hope the registering is not a disaster like the Candlelight was. There will be more demand for this then the Candlelight I think. I do not live in SoCal. But I go to Disneyland about twice a year, I was planning a trip for late Aug/early Sept but now I will make sure the dates include the event.

GORGON
11-26-2008, 01:35 PM
I hope they have left over merchandise in December when i'm there.

leota's necklace
11-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Does anyone have any scuttlebutt on whether other artists will be featured? Shag is neat, and all, but I won't get fired up about going to the event if he's the only artist involved.

Cathy at the Park
11-27-2008, 04:13 PM
I may have completely mis-read the announcement, but I thought there were going to be two events. One, the cocktail party with Shag on 8-8-09, and then another non-Shag event on 9-9-09.

Now I'm confused.

Cathy

olegc
11-28-2008, 07:15 AM
I may have completely mis-read the announcement, but I thought there were going to be two events. One, the cocktail party with Shag on 8-8-09, and then another non-Shag event on 9-9-09.

Now I'm confused.

Cathy

you are correct - there are two events. Shag in Aug and then the 999 in september.

cstephens
11-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Does anyone have any scuttlebutt on whether other artists will be featured? Shag is neat, and all, but I won't get fired up about going to the event if he's the only artist involved.

Shag is the only one who's having a special event for his merchandise associated with the Haunted Mansion, but for the actual event itself, there will be other merchandise available from other artists, though they don't necessarily release that information until later. I do know that Robert Olszewski will have a really cool Gallery of Light piece as part of the event.

Now I'm confused.

Cathy

There are actually a number of different "events" associated with the 40th anniversary of the Haunted Mansion. If you look at the DisneyGallery.com site (http://psc.disney.go.com/eventservices/disneygallery/index.html), you'll see that in addition to the main event and the Shag paid event, there's also a non-paid Shag signing event (for whatever merchandise is left over) as well as two pin-related events.

MansionAddict
11-30-2008, 05:06 PM
When does the Mansion usually go down for the HMH overlay? It would be weird to have the Anniversary and not be able to ride it.

olegc
11-30-2008, 05:13 PM
usually at the beginning of september. My guess is that since 999 is a Wed next - it will go down for switch to HMH on 9/14 (monday)

ShirleyFilms
12-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Does anyone know when they will annouce the actual merchandise that will be for sale?

cyberwoozle
12-04-2008, 10:17 AM
some more pretty pictures here:

http://tikitalk.astropad.com/archives/shag-haunted-mansion-art-event/

cstephens
12-04-2008, 01:54 PM
I am constantly reminded that I'm so not a Shag person. But good news is that I don't have to try to do his merchandise event.

MammaSilva
12-04-2008, 02:10 PM
I know a lot of folks love Shag, I'm not one of them.

cstephens
12-04-2008, 02:14 PM
I know a lot of folks love Shag, I'm not one of them.

Well, what on earth am I going to do with that $12,000 Shag painting that I bought you? ;)