PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I am being tempted to buy into DVC...

mickeymom5
11-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Okay, I am being tempted to buy into DVC. I have watched the complimentary video and received the complimentary book. Now they have sent me a very enticing offer. I have never been brave enough to talk "officially" to a DVC Cast Member. I have always been interested in watching their presentation while I was at WDW, but never dared to ask my family to do this.
My question is...when you first buy into DVC and pick your home resort can you make any DVC resort your home resort? Or is it limited to certain ones? I really like the Beach Club/Boardwalk area but is the window to have one of these your home resort closed? If I bought now would I have to choose between Animal Kingdom and Bay Lake Tower?
Thanks!

GusMan
11-20-2008, 01:49 PM
They will offer you AKV or BLT as your home resort.
If you have your heart set on BC or BW, your best bet is via the resale market.

Talk it out with them... you will find that they are extremely low pressure. Ask all the questions you want and make an educated decision.

Drince88
11-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Is Saratoga Springs all sold out finally?

GusMan
11-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Something tells me that it is... but that you can still get some add-ons.
I bet if you ask, they would sell a new contract at SSR, subject to availability.

stan4d_steph
11-20-2008, 07:53 PM
I got that email today too. Buy before Jan. 15 and you can get a free 5 night stay in a DVC resort as well as a $1000 gift card.

Toocherie
11-21-2008, 08:35 PM
actually, from what I understand you can buy any DVC resort direct from Disney, but may have to wait on the sold-out resorts (i.e., anything but Animal Kingdom and Bay Lake Towers). Disney can exercise its right of first refusal and get points at the sold-out resorts and then re-sell them to you--but you would have to wait (as opposed to buying immediately the resorts currently available). Resale is also a way to buy in at a lower point number than the Disney minimums--but you need to consider all the incentives if you do. (Note there will likely be NO incentives if you buy points at one of the Epcot resorts direct from Disney--so resale is probably a better bet financially. The issue with resale is the aforementioned right of first refusal--in each DVC contract--which gives Disney the right to trump any sale contract and buy it themselves).

Saratoga Springs is sold out for now--but once the Treehouse Villas go on sale there will be additional Saratoga points available as those units will be part of SSR.

Mickeymom== are you in Southern California? if you are, I have a great guide at Disneyland who could probably answer a lot of your questions too.

mickeymom5
11-22-2008, 10:07 AM
Mickeymom== are you in Southern California? if you are, I have a great guide at Disneyland who could probably answer a lot of your questions too.I am not in CA. We live in NC, but thanks for the offer!:)

GusMan
11-22-2008, 08:55 PM
actually, from what I understand you can buy any DVC resort direct from Disney
This is a true statement. However... they usually do not discount the points or offer any incentives on such a sale. (I say usually... you can always ask.)

The thing is, if you want some of the other resorts, you really will be better off going through the resale market. The price per point will be less for one thing. Also, if you buy an "older" resort through DVC, you are still bound by the orig expire date of the original contract. In other words - you will most likely pay more through DVC and not get the same number of years as if you were to buy into AKL or BLT.

DVC Mike
11-23-2008, 04:26 AM
Also, if you buy an "older" resort through DVC, you are still bound by the orig expire date of the original contract. In other words - you will most likely pay more through DVC and not get the same number of years as if you were to buy into AKL or BLT.

For the OP, the contract expiration dates:

OKW - 2042 (most resales), 2057 (direct from DVC)
BWV, VB, HHI, VWL, BCV - 2042
SSR - 2054
AKV - 2057
BLT - 2060

Drince88
11-23-2008, 05:05 AM
I thought you could only ADD ON points to the sold out resorts directly from Disney, you could not do your initial purchase through them for those? So those of you who already own, could get Beach Club points directly from Disney, but I couldn't have that as my first home resort. Is that wrong?

DVC Mike
11-23-2008, 12:25 PM
I thought you could only ADD ON points to the sold out resorts directly from Disney, you could not do your initial purchase through them for those? So those of you who already own, could get Beach Club points directly from Disney, but I couldn't have that as my first home resort. Is that wrong?

People can purchase BCV direct from Disney as their first purchase. They may have to wait list, and they will pay $104 per point without any incentives.

twist1980
12-18-2008, 04:45 PM
I got that email today too. Buy before Jan. 15 and you can get a free 5 night stay in a DVC resort as well as a $1000 gift card.

Disney has sweetened the deal. If you buy into BLT or AKV, you not only get the $1000 gift card (which is actually a discount off your purchase applied toward your down payment), but you also get 160 points to use at SSR (they expire 10/1/09).

So we opted to buy in as we've been planning to for ages and ended up getting our week in January basically free because we are using our SSR points and banking our regular points for next year!

KJSJpipe
12-19-2008, 04:01 AM
Welcome Home!!
:)