PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion Story

scottmen
12-02-2002, 07:52 AM
Does any one know where I can find the story behind the Haunted Mansion. I know I have read it online some where but can't seem to remember where. When I say story I mean about the bride and groom and the hanging etc.

Thanks,
Scott

hbquikcomjamesl
12-02-2002, 08:08 AM
The generally accepted story is that the Pirate Captain (from Pirates) had retired, built a mansion with his ill-gotten gains, and fallen in love with a beautful young woman. Either shortly before or shortly after their wedding, he decided he had to go to sea one last time, and he left her alone in the mansion, with the run of the place as long as she didn't go into the attic. He was gone longer than expected, and she finally was sufficiently overcome by curiosity to go into the attic, where she discovered that she had fallen in love with a notorious pirate. He returned to find that she'd committed suicide; blaming himself for her death, he hung himself.

Ghoulish Delight
12-02-2002, 08:26 AM
Most of that story was created long after the ride was opened. The closest thing to an actual story that existed while the ride was in development was to the effect of "We found this house and restored it. It belonged to the Blood family. A lot of them died in the house. Now it's haunted." That was Walt's story. Marc Davis had this to say on the subject, "Walt's attitude was (to give) experiences...a flash of this and a flash of that, everything within a subject matter. Rides... don't have a lot to do with continuity of story. It has to do with the entertainment value of surprise... seeing things you can't see anywhere else."

Check out doombuggies.com for a more complete history of the ride.

Allysen1Derland
12-02-2002, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by scottmen
Does any one know where I can find the story behind the Haunted Mansion. I know I have read it online some where but can't seem to remember where. When I say story I mean about the bride and groom and the hanging etc.

Thanks,
Scott

Click Here (http://www.disneylandian.com/faqs/hauntedmansion.html) , Scott! :)

This is the most entertaining page regarding the Haunted Mansion that I've ever read, plus, it has all kinds of interesting facts and CAUTION! Spoilers, too! Scroll to the middle of the page, and where it says "Why Is There A Bride In The Attic?" in bold print, is where you'll find a little summary on the Haunted Masion story! I'm not sure if it's all 100% true, but it's fun! And it's the best story I've ever heard on it! :D

Mad Hatter
12-02-2002, 03:40 PM
[QUOTE]Does any one know where I can find the story behind the Haunted Mansion. I know I have read it online some where but can't seem to remember where. When I say story I mean about the bride and groom and the hanging etc.
I know the perfect place to read it is in the mansions break room. Its on the wall!:eek:

Klutch
12-02-2002, 03:50 PM
According to the tour guide for my WIWF tour last October, anyone can request to see a printed "attraction story". These printed stories are for the hearing impaired so they can better understand the attractions. You can't take the printed story with you, but you can look at it.

So, you might try asking a cast member at the Haunted Mansion during your next visit.

ldsguy
12-02-2002, 07:39 PM
Several years ago, I bought a really cool tape for about $2.00 from the Disney Store entitled "The Haunted Mansion" It explains quite a bit, including what the deal with the Raven is......I am not sure if it's still sold today, but I don't think it's the same as what is sold at Disneyland on CD.

AVP
12-02-2002, 08:32 PM
When we were at WDW for the 999 Happy Haunts Ball, the panel discussion featured Jason Surrell, an Imagineer who is writing a book on the history of the Haunted Mansion.

The "Captain Blood" story is the "official" Disney story, and there are a few recognized versions of it. One things Jason repeatedly said was that much of what you read on the 'net about the Haunted Mansion is incorrect. He said that there is a site somewhere that lists the names of all 999 ghosts, and what they died of - and none of it is accurate.

I'm looking forward to seeing the book. We are getting cover art sometime this month, and the book will be published next October.

AVP