PDA

View Full Version : What new original attractions would you insert in the holes of Tomorrowland?

Disneyfreak
12-01-2002, 02:04 PM
I would personally like to see Alien Encounter go in the current circle vision. I would like innoventions to be replaced with the attraction going into walt disney world, mission space. Also I would like to see 20,000 leagues under the sea, and also a redo of space mountain. I would also redo the look to tomorrowland, to look like walt disney worlds.

What would you change in tomorrowland!

Nigel2
12-01-2002, 10:15 PM
And by putting copies of other attractions into Tommorowland would be original how?

Size wise it may be possibly to fit Alien encounter in, but there is no way that Mission Space would fit in location of Innoventions.

I would say (since originality doesn't matter as much as fun) a WDW style of innoventions, but this would be in a world where they also had infinate space.

Mad Hatter
12-01-2002, 11:06 PM
Holes? we have holes in tomorrowland? where?:confused:

retlaw7
12-02-2002, 06:19 AM
Geez, I thought Tomorrowland was already themed after the Movie "The Black Hole!" Put an extremely updated version of The Carousel of Progress back in complete with the model of Walt's vision of EPCOT.

merlinjones
12-02-2002, 08:44 AM
Out:

Star Tours move to Hollywood/DCA
Innoventions
NASA Space Exhibit
Honey, I Shrunk the Fanbase!
Observatron
Empty Track
Empty Theatre building
Empty Lagoon
Former fountain Ball

In:

Adventure Thru Inner Space update in Star Tours
Stitch version of Alien Encounter in CV building
Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress from WDW
Buzz Lightyear target ride on PM/RR track
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea in lagoon
Rocket Jets on platform
Indoor Flying Saucer update in Honey space

Kuzcotopia
12-02-2002, 11:11 PM
Buzz Lightyear 3-D movie by Pixar in Magic Eye Theater.

Steel-tube track, high-speed Wedway Peoplemover 2.0 on the track. Think matterhorn meets peoplemover. Vehicles similar to Rocket-rods, but lower to the ground and unpowered except for sound-track. This could be a new launch for Space Mountain instead.

Aquatopia in the Submarine Lagoon, with the added fun of a deep-sea-themed darkride in the lagoon caves! (there's your updated flying-saucers, Merlinjones!).

Buzz Lightyear in the Circlevision building, or better yet....

Stitch. A new breed of Dark ride that takes the best of Roger Rabbit and adds a touch of Peter Pan. You are in a stolen police cruiser (the RED one!) and soaring over Hawaii to rescue Stitch from aliens. This includes awesome omnimax footage of Hawaii projected below! Then they get Stitch really mad, and you have to rescue the aliens from STITCH! The track is above (most of the time!) and your stick points the ship around and flys it up and down like dumbo! This ride is big, it'll have to take up some of the current space of King Triton's garden or expand into the current walkway between the lagoon and Club Buzz.

Star Tours. Update this with DLP projectors and go 3-D with strap-on glasses. A new adventure with more in-cabin effects, like Stormrider.

Lose the current Arcade and build a mini-Disney Quest.

hbquikcomjamesl
12-03-2002, 07:43 AM
1. As soon as King Arthur's Carousel vacates the CV floor, I'd refit the theatre for rotating showings of every CV film that's been made. On any day that DL is open for more than 8 hours, I'd show two different films; on Sundays, the afternoon/evening film would always be ATB; on Fridays and Saturdays, the afternoon/evening film would alternate between AJ and TK. The cycling of the films would be set up in such a way that (except for ATB Sunday afternoons and evenings) the same film would never be shown two weeks in a row in the same time slot, and so that anybody staying at DLR for a full week would have the opportunity to see all the CV films.

2. Buzz Lightyear ride (same concept as WDW, but revised implementation, just like Pooh and ToT) in the old Mission to Mars building.

3. Updated Peoplemover, with new "superspeed tunnels" in the Star Tours and CV buildings, showing previews of their respective attractions.

Of more interest to me would be how to fill the holes in DCA. My latest take on this:

1. Tear out North PP from the Bay Area border to McDonalds. If Zephyr and Jellyfish actually draw crowds, then move them to the areas currently occupied by McDonalds and Mulholland Mistake. Build a cable car themed hybrid dark ride/thrill ride near the Golden Dreams exit. Likewise, tear out the whole west end of the Golden Vine wine bar (it gets little enough use as it is), and build an interactive cable car simulator there, with access through the corner storefront.

2. Build an Omnimover ride (either the classic Atomobile/Doom Buggy model, or the SpaceShip Earth/Imagination model) on California history (starting from the gold rush), with the entrance in Grizzly Peak, and the exit in Bay Area.

3. Tear out SuperStar Lemon, Hollywood & Dine, and the Lion King Tram loading area, and put in a smaller version of GMR.

4. Tear out the Mission Tortilla Fiasco and replace it with something worthy of a Disney theme park.

5. Give the Imagineers copies of Steinbeck's Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday, and take them to a production of Pipe Dream, and then have them come up with some sort of attraction for Pacific Wharf, based on Steinbeck's Monterey.

hbquikcomjamesl
12-03-2002, 10:33 AM
(getting back to Tomorrowland)

How about a TRON attraction. Not just the TRON version of the SuperSpeed Tunnels; this would be an attraction in itself. Maybe an interactive OmniMover ride, on the same principle as (but instead of) Buzz Lightyear.

Speaking of which, I definitely hope they don't cheap-out on Tron 2.0, and only do a video game. As far as I'm concerned, if the choice were just a "first person shooter" game, or no TRON 2.0 at all, I'd opt for the latter, because a game-only release would be worse than nothing. Even if it were a direct-to-home-video release, I'd get it, but I'd really like to see it as a full theatrical film, with at least cameos by Jeff, Bruce and Cindy, as Flynn/Clu, Alan/Tron, and Lora/Yori.

LifelongAngelsFan
12-04-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
Out:

Star Tours move to Hollywood/DCA
Innoventions
NASA Space Exhibit
Honey, I Shrunk the Fanbase!
Observatron
Empty Track
Empty Theatre building
Empty Lagoon
Former fountain Ball

I agree with you "out" above. I'd also move the Autopia's to DCA to free up room and give DCA another decent attraction that it desparately needs.

Here is my "in" list:

Atlantis: Lost Empire in sub lagoon/Autopia area - this would be a combination two attractions in one area. a) a "glass-bottom like vessel" ride through a massive aquarium ala Living Seas (btw, this was Walt's original idea for the sub ride); b) vessel unloads older guests for Indiana Jones sytle dark ride while younger guests continue on vessel for additional aquarium ride.

Updated Flying Saucers - I like your idea

Mission Space in Innovention/Autopia area

Treasure Planet dark ride in Star Tours area -

Rocket Rods properly executed using new track designed for them

New CV movie

jrad32
12-06-2002, 08:06 AM
Moving the Autopia to DCA is an excellent idea. Something that actually fits with the theme there. Maybe they could put it in the Timon parking lot.

Think of the space that could free up. You'd have the entire lagoon, motor boat area, autopia area, and you could also get rid of the innovations building and the skyway landing area. Of course space does us no good if Disney isn't going to put a good ride or two in there.

Disneyfreak
12-06-2002, 10:36 PM
I dont know how you can move autopia. They would have to rip out all the concrete which they could not save. They would have to bulldoze a perfectly good building which has the lines. They would have to get rid of all the landscape they made with this ride. They cant just say oh I want to move autopia and it will happen. If they wanted Autopia over in Dca they would basicly have to rebuild that ride.:crying:

Uncle Dick
12-07-2002, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by jrad32
Moving the Autopia to DCA is an excellent idea. Something that actually fits with the theme there. Maybe they could put it in the Timon parking lot.

Think of the space that could free up. You'd have the entire lagoon, motor boat area, autopia area, and you could also get rid of the innovations building and the skyway landing area. Of course space does us no good if Disney isn't going to put a good ride or two in there.
The problem here (besides the fact that the Autopia just underwent a rather extensive [and expensive] redo) is the lack of any good idea about what to put in the old Autopia/Motor Boat Cruise/Submarine Voyage area. With monorail beams and the Peoplemover/Rocket Rod track crisscrossing all over the place, there isn't really any good area to build a new show building without lots and lots of money involved in (probably) rerouting the monorail track. For the time being, the Autopia is a great fit for land with limited uses.

I'm also not too keen on the idea of "transplanting" attractions from Disneyland to DCA. Aside from the huge, unneccessary cost involved in moving massive amounts of equipment just a few hundred yards, I think it's clear that DCA needs a really awesome, original attraction (like Indy) to make it a "must see" park. "Soarin' Over California" may fit the bill for some people, but one or two awesome, original attractions isn't quite enough when you have Disneyland next door.

ldsguy
12-08-2002, 02:51 PM
Yes, that is true, but there is a lot of wasted space in tommorowland, I personally think lieave the Autopia area alone, as for the subs, you could do some things with that area, somethin needs to be done with the People Mover/Rocket Rods track.

Also replace Innoventions! Give us something to replace HISTA, it's outlived it's usefulness in Tommorowland, at least redo the preshow, as just about anyone can now do the kind of stuff they do with that watch camera, which is also sold for under $100 now. The point of this thread is that there is a lot of wasted space....also another wated space in the old Circle Vision theater, as well as the NASA exhibit, this has nothing to do with tommorow land either, so many of thes things are of today, which is not what Disneyland is supposed to be, the most I go into Tommorowland to do is ride Space Mountain, which is going to end up being closed for up to two years, when that happens, I won't have any need to go into tommorowland as it stands now.

merlinjones
12-08-2002, 04:26 PM
It would be far more cost-effective to repurpose/enhance Submarine Voyage than to reconstruct that whole area or move Autopia! I want 20,000 Leagues with Nautilus ships. No one likes Atlantis (general public I mean, no offensive to any small cult out there).

ldsguy
12-09-2002, 06:01 AM
I do agree with the Atlantis comment, one of Disney's poorer films in my opinion, but as for the sub lagoon, there are several things you could do, yes you could try to update the subs, or perhaps build an underwater roller coaster, it's been done before, you put the roller coaster inside a tube that goes under water, or put in an updated people mover on the track above and connect to it, going underwater and go back up and connect with the remainder of the track, either way it would make fo an interesting ride.

avromark
12-10-2002, 12:34 PM
Cheap fixes:
Dying Land, Land... come see the land that is dying!
Get one of those computer projectors, find an old Pentium 200, hook it up and show power point slides in ye old rocket rod queue. Get a peice of cardboard and put up a sign "The Wonderful World of the New 1998 Tommorowland" tells the story of how Cosmic Waves and Rocket Rods died.

Real fixes:
I agree do something with the lagoon, I think bringing back the subs as a ride vehicle is not the same thing as just redoing the ride, mount the subs on a gimble on the track, the sub ride has just become a motion simulator, but without film! underwater AA does the trick. Theme changing from 20,000 to Atlantis to Treasure Planet is easy to pull off using overlays.
Innovations: well it may be lame, but you can keep it, move it into the old mission to mars building (whats not Red Rocketts I beleive), and put in a new show. I agree bringing horizons up to date would be cheaper then re-imagineering

But how about they just bring us those rides that never were! The ideas are there... all they gotta do is wave the wand, pull a few purse strings, and you got the head start... new and old together. Plain and simple. I think Walt woudln't want his rides tampered with, wouldn't want them to get stale either. So incorportating parts of old rides into a new adventure instead of just a new film is a fitting tribute. Instead of rocket rods, you can bring back the people mover. But maybe add some motion effects to the vehicles, what would be cool is if they could develop some sort of technology that would let you see the changes of tommorowland using some sort of screen or goggles AS you go around the people mover... Lame? or a start of an idea? they could also add a soundtrack so the people mover sounded like the rocket rods :P

Mad Hatter
12-10-2002, 07:08 PM
How about Starship trooper, dark ride, you land on a distant planet and have to shoot it out against thousands of huge insects?:~D

mousketeer
12-10-2002, 08:31 PM
I think that following changes should be made:
1. Circle Vision should return
2. Return People Mover
3. Either replace Inooventions with Carousel of Progress, Mission: Space, or HORIZONS!!!!
4. Update Star Wars
5. Replace Honey... with ANYTHING else (EO?)
6. Keep Autopia! This is a legened, and WAS the future in the 1950's, when the Eisenhower Interstate Project was starting to begin
7. Either return Subs or do an "Atlantis" ride
8. Remove Space Experience and enlarge Premiere shop

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
12-10-2002, 11:02 PM
More life .... it needs more to do and see

What about a rotation of Captian EO and Honey I shrunk the audience? :-) Michael Jackson would probably need a few months lightening his skin frame by frame thou before it's re-release thou

but this could be done in time for the 50th no?

Bruce Bergman
12-11-2002, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
More life .... it needs more to do and see

What about a rotation of Captian EO and Honey I shrunk the audience? :-) Michael Jackson would probably need a few months lightening his skin frame by frame thou before it's re-release thou

but this could be done in time for the 50th no?

Forget about it. Captain EO (the show) is dead and buried.

With all of the 'odd stuff' going on around Michael J. Jackson (*) the singer....

This is dancing a little PG-13 close to the censorship edge, so it gets spoilered to protect the sensitive:
including the multiple plastic surgeries that led to the 'removable nose', the breach of contract lawsuits, the baby-dangling incident in Europe, the unfounded allegations made of racism against Tommy Mottola and Sony (to deflect attention when his last album tanked), the barely-surpressed stories about many incidents of <ahem> alleged 'indiscretions' with young children...

:eek: I doubt that you'll EVER see any shows or attractions at Disneyland (old or new) based on his performing.

And they're certainly not going to put Captain EO back in, there are too many show-specific special effects that would have to be recreated at a high cost.

(* - Michael J. Jackson is his legal ASCAP, SAG and AFTRA performing artist name. Though he usually doesn't use it, MJJ is legally required to use the middle initial to not be confused with Michael {no middle initial} Jackson the radio and TV host, who I respect.)

--<< Bruce >>--

Jetnitro
12-11-2002, 08:43 PM
Turn Tomorrowland into Discoveryland(ala Paris). Go with the full Victorian/Steampunk look to both the interiors and exteriors or buildings and rides. Make it feel as if ive stepped into another time and place where characters like Phinneas Fogg and Capt. Nemo are real people.

Throwouts:

- Innoventions: It doesnt work at WDW either,turn it into greenspace

- NASA Exhibit: I know WDI assisted in developing Space Center
Houston, but its time to move on

- Honey!: Never worked for me. Film series hasnt has an sequel in like 5 years. Keep the theater for another film(new circlevision film)

Relocate:
- Autotopia: Move to DCA or whatever its going to become

- Star Tours: Move to the "studio" But with a MAJOR overhaul including:New film shot and shown in DLP and digital soundtrack, New Pilot,New Cue Area(Reflecting either Coursicant or Mos Eisley Spaceport) and new "Republic Era Vehicles"(i.e Naboo N-1 Fighters,Republic Gunships and Carriers) Keep the current building for a new simulator (Thinking "Journey To The Center Of The Earth")

Redo/Keep:
- Submarines: Bring the Nautilus back into service and make it an adventure ala Paris's "Les Mysteres du Nautilus" or Disneyseas 20k attraction. Integrate it into the new Space Mountain development for a full effect.

- Observatron: This can easily be converted to the steampunk theme and it makes a great conversation piece.

- Space Mountain: Its being gutted and hopefully will be like Disneyland Paris, The whole steampunk idea works much better than the current motif for the ride

- Fountain Ball: Make the fountain into something similar to the globe fountain at disneysea, and MAKE IT WORK!!

- Rocket Rods: Keep the above steampunk themeing as well.

Conclusion: The whole "Tomorrowland" theme is played out..time for imagineers to look into the past to give us a new adventure.

screamin4ever
12-12-2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Jetnitro
Conclusion: The whole "Tomorrowland" theme is played out..time for imagineers to look into the past to give us a new adventure. [/B]

That's the truth. Tomorrow is not as easy to define anymore and folks don't seem too excited about space travel. Innerspace was just wierd. I know many of you loved it, but most because you could make-out or light-up. IMO Tomorrowland needs to go completely sci-fi/fantasy or retro/future or completely space port. Something timeless would be better.

Tony Baxter once said that they "did" the Jetsons tomorrowland and have moved on. I disagree. They never did it right. Even pre '98 wasn't immersive. Sort of half-done Space Odyssey with Americana dropped in. We always called it "lineland.' That's all you saw everywhere. Lines for Space, Star Tours, Rocket Jets, Captain Eo, and food.

I for one hope nothing old returns except for the Rocket Jets put back up where they belong. Keep Star Tours, updated please, add Buzz and how about something from the archives that got the axe because of budgets? Imagineering had many ideas that got shelved.

I would give up all of the 50th anniversary stuff if they would just fix Tomorrowland!

merlinjones
12-13-2002, 05:01 AM
>>Tony Baxter once said that they "did" the Jetsons tomorrowland and have moved on. I disagree. They
never did it right. <<

Well, they "did" the Verne Tomorrowland (several times over, now) and it's time to move back.

After all, Jetsons retro-future and Verne retro future are BOTH popular pop-culture fantasy views from another time... so why is one more any more legit than the other?

I contend that the Jetson's future (done up on an exaggerated scale like the LAX restaurant) is more familiar and loved by the masses... the one most people would really like/expect to see at Disneyland... and the one that compliments Disneyland's own origins.

Without the Nautilus, of what use is a Vernian future, anyway?

SirWillow
12-13-2002, 06:54 AM
Hope it's ok if the "new" guy jumps in here with a few comments.

I've heard several reports that Star Tours is getting a big update already, possibly for the 50th anniversary of the park, so seems like that part is being done already. I also would NOT like to see it moved. Yes, it may be based on a Hollywood film, but it's theme fits in real well with Tomorrowland. And while Inner Space may be good for nostalgia, it would have to be one heck of a new version to keep interest today. The effects that were in it then would be quite tame and boring by today's standards. Not something that I can see bringing in people, which would be the main point.

And while I wouldn't mind seeing an update of Honey, it still does very well and I doubt that Disney would see any need or reason to update it. When we were there for several days a year ago last september (2 weeks after the attacks in New York), the parks were mostly deserted but Honey was one attraction that consistently had a crowd around it that day. Based on that, it's still popular enough with the crowds that there's no real reason to change it.

The people mover tracks are most definatly in need of a replacement, and I'd love to see something along the lines of another people mover- maybe a little faster. Use the old Tron exhibit tunnels for a newer "flash into the future" or brief immersive experience (no commercials, please!!). But anything high speed isn't going to work on those tracks without them having to rip them out entirely and redo them. They couldn't handle the stress from RR's wiht lots of cracking taking place from that ride, so they're not going to be able to handle anything else like that. But something HAS TO be done with those tracks.

Definately an update of the Submarine ride!! Fix the subs, or better yet replace them with new vehicles- new viewing, better air, less vulnerable seating for the "driver", etc. And update the effecs in the water.

Replace Innoventions with just about anything. Same thing with Circle Vision. I'd love to see an updated return of Mission to Mars/ the Moon in one of them. And some sort of futuristic dark ride for the other would be nice. Perhaps the Buzz Lightyear in one of them? But again, I'm not sure that returning Circlevision is going to draw people over a long period of time. Lots will show up for the "newness" and the "nostalgia" at the begining, but both of those wear off quick.

Also another reason not to do the Flying Saucers- there are to many other places with rides similar to them now. San Diego's Belmont Park and Santa Cruz's Beach Boardwalk both have circular bumper car rides (the cars are a circular tube). While they may not float, they give a similar ride and it wouldn't be looked upon as unique as it should if it goes into Tomorrowland.

Instead I'd love to see them pull some of those old ideas they've had on the drawing boards and never done and start making some of them realities. New, original, and that actually occupies some of that unused space there. Wow, what a concept that would be. :D

merlinjones
12-13-2002, 10:56 AM
>>And while Inner Space may be good for nostalgia, it would have to be one heck of a new version to
keep interest today. The effects that were in it then would be quite tame and boring by today's
standards. Not something that I can see bringing in people, which would be the main point.<<

Please indulge me... What exactly is "dated" about the concept of shrinking the guest to the size of an atom for a Fantastic Voyage to the nucleus of a snowflake? How is this simply nostalgia? How is that concept more "dated" than Honey or Innoventions?

Why shouldn't it be a heck of a good version? Why wouldn't you naturally update the effects?

Why wouldn't a cool dark ride immersing people into the world of sub-atomic particles bring people to the park? Are they getting this somewhere else? Why wouldn't they want it?

Why would something that was proven to work magic before (spectacularly well)... that never lost its popularity... suddenly not be popular now in a jazzed up version?

See Pirates and Haunted Mansion from the same period... Are those rides simply nostalgic or do they have a timeless story to tell?

:confused: