PDA

View Full Version : We saw Ed Grier and Tony Baxter

TTFN92
11-17-2008, 08:26 AM
We were in Fantasyland on Friday morning at headed toward the castle to see if there were, by any chance, the Dream CMs. When we got to the castle, I looked toward the walkway to TL and there was a group of men talking. I immediately recognized Tony Baxter (but I couldn't remember his name :rolleyes:) and then saw Ed Grier. I was a little in shock, especially since I keep hearing that he doesn't go to the park very often and I happen to see him on our trip. My DH said I was like a teenager who saw an famous actor. My DS went to get the camera bag on the stroller but I didn't want to bother them. My 8 y.o. wanted to go make his light saber so I went to do that with him. When I met back up with my family, they showed me the pic they took with Mr. Grier of my other 3 boys and nephew. They went up and said hi and asked for a pic. They said he was surprised and not all that friendly. They also said he acted a little put out by it. They didn't get one with Tony Baxter, who I wish they would have, but my nephew did get a pic of him with his phone. When he sends it to me I'll post it. It was a fun surprise to see them. Wish I'd have had the nerve to say hi.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a368/mommyniki/P1010967.jpg

DH did mention something about him being there to a couple of CMs and they had no idea who Ed Grier was. They didn't even recognize his name. We were a little surprised by that.

Bytebear
11-17-2008, 08:51 AM
I saw Grier on Veteran's Day standing near the Opera House, watching the flag retreat ceremony from a distance.

ladodgerjon
11-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Yeah, I ran into Ed about a year ago in New Orleans Square.

He was with a PR flak.

Both of them, I could tell, were not that pleased that I asked him a question when he was walking towards me. I was, to be honest, barely tolerated.

Worse, Grier was not at all honest in his answer to me (you can read about our interaction (at: hollywoodthoughts . com).

I work in entertainment, so I was a bit surprised that a "public face" for such a large entertainment conglomerate would be so awkward in public.

cstephens
11-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Both of them, I could tell, were not that pleased that I asked him a question when he was walking towards me. I was, to be honest, barely tolerated.

Worse, Grier was not at all honest in his answer to me (you can read about our interaction (at: hollywoodthoughts . com).

Since you have no idea where they were going or what they were doing, it's possible they were on their way to something and you interrupted them, which might have accounted for him not being particularly interested in talking. Grier probably doesn't expect to be recognized on the whole. What did you ask?

As far as not being honest, I still don't understand why anyone expects that they will get a total and complete answer to anything they ask. There may be things they know that they can't talk about, and spilling your guts to random Joe who asks a question would be pretty stupid.

Never met Grier, couldn't pick him out of a line-up.

Bytebear
11-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Never met Grier, couldn't pick him out of a line-up.

He's the one not wearing a plaid skirt.

TTFN92
11-19-2008, 08:46 AM
I only know who he is because of another website's updates that I read that have pics posted of him. He talks about him quite a bit and says how he isn't that friendly with CMs and guests. That is one reason I didn't want to interrupt. It is kind of surprising to me because of the type of company that he is leading. He is just a stark contrast of Matt Ouimet, the one he replaced. He was one that you could go up to and he'd be happy about it, at least that is what I read from a few places. DL seems to be a business to Ed Grier not a passion or a love. I totally agree that sometimes you can catch people at a bad time, but from my family's experience and what I've read about him, that is just who he is. I don't think there could be a good time to run into him.

cstephens
11-19-2008, 10:14 AM
I don't know anything about Grier, but being friendly with the public isn't necessarily his first job. There was a high-level exec at a particular company who was very nice, very personable, and he was very popular with the employees. But he made bad business decisions and the company didn't do well under his leadership, so he was eventually let go. It was great that he was nice, but if the bottom line is that the company was losing money, that was more important. The current exec isn't nearly as touchy feely or approachable, but the company is doing well, which is probably something the employees can appreciate as well.

oregontraveler
11-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I ran into Ed about a year ago in New Orleans Square.

He was with a PR flak.

I work in entertainment, so I was a bit surprised that a "public face" for such a large entertainment conglomerate would be so awkward in public.

That's the thing, he's President for a theme park, and not just any theme park
but DISNEYLAND. I can understand about maybe trying to conduct business.
But when he's onstage, you gotta at least consider the possibility of interaction with employees & guests. Even better, he was with Tony Baxter. I'd be pumped up to to see him.

Tinkermommy
11-19-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm happy to report we've had the opposite experience. A group of friends and I (and our jumble of kidlets) have encountered him twice inside Disneyland, and he has been very gracious about posing for pictures with our kids. Recognizing that he's probably a busy guy, we ask politely, make it quick, thank him, and move on.

I don't mean to imply that I disbelieve any previous poster -- just wanted to mention that our experiences have been good. Maybe it's all in the timing?

TTFN92
11-19-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm happy to report we've had the opposite experience. A group of friends and I (and our jumble of kidlets) have encountered him twice inside Disneyland, and he has been very gracious about posing for pictures with our kids. Recognizing that he's probably a busy guy, we ask politely, make it quick, thank him, and move on.

I don't mean to imply that I disbelieve any previous poster -- just wanted to mention that our experiences have been good. Maybe it's all in the timing?

I'm glad you had a great experience with him. It isn't like my family had a bad one, he just seemed a little annoyed with it. He took the pic and that was it. He didn't even ask if we were enjoying ourselves, which I would think would be a polite question. Like someone said, he was onstage. Whether he was busy or not he needed to pretend to be interested in the park guests, just like any CM is expected to be (not that they always are). No one was expecting to have a 10 min. conversation with him or anymore that they got. My family did just as yours did, asked politely, made it quick, thanked him, and moved on. But I wish that they'd have gotten a pic with Tony Baxter instead. Oh, well, that's what I get for leaving.

disneylandgirl
11-19-2008, 12:14 PM
So, this guy is the president of Disneyland... got that.

Who is Tony Baxter?

Mrs Mouse
11-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Who is Tony Baxter?
He's the Senior VP of Creative Development for Walt Disney Imagineering.

He's an imagineer who was involved with Big Thunder, Indiana Jones and Splash Mountain, to name a few.

TTFN92
11-19-2008, 12:50 PM
So, this guy is the president of Disneyland... got that.

Who is Tony Baxter?

The reason I recognized him so easily is that he is on the Travel Channel shows. Before we went to WDW, my DS watched them A LOT.

mommy-san
11-19-2008, 02:53 PM
We saw Ed Grier last february when Google took over the park. My husband still complains about the wack on the arm I gave him when I was trying to get his attention so he could take a picture of him. But mostly he complains about the fact that I even know who Ed Grier is. Insists that it's pathetic.

TTFN92
11-19-2008, 03:39 PM
But mostly he complains about the fact that I even know who Ed Grier is. Insists that it's pathetic.

LOL! That's funny. I felt kinda the same way. My family kept asking me, "How do you know who they are?" I guess I'm just a Disney geek. :D

Mark Mywords
11-20-2008, 08:41 AM
We saw Ed Grier mulling around the Ambassador Ceremony area last month. Our reaction was - "Wow, Ed's actually out in the park. Whaddya know..."

My oldest son would freak if he ever saw Tony Baxter. He wants to be an imagineer when he grows up and practically worships the guy!

Seeing Grier wasn't nearly as exciting as seeing Matt Ouimet in the park a few years back. I think we saw Matt 3 or 4 times over the time he was President and got to talk to him once (he was extremely nice).

danyoung
11-20-2008, 09:40 AM
The mold for how a Disney executive should behave while onstage was cast when Walt opened the park back in '55. It's a tradition for executives to wander out among the people, asking how they are doing, learning first hand what's working and what isn't. Mr. Grier does not have a reputation for being very hands-on, at least with respect to the guests. And his apparant rudeness seems to confirm that he's not leading the park in the same fashion as it was in the past. Very bad form, and very sad.

TTFN92
11-21-2008, 06:34 AM
Here's the pic of the group of them talking with Tony Baxter. It isn't very good quality because it was taken w/ a phone. The one next to him was from Tempe, AZ- Go Devils!! :p

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a368/mommyniki/IMG0075A.jpg

Malcon10t
11-22-2008, 07:55 PM
I remember when MDM met Matt Ouimet while she was exiting BTMRR. I had walked off and passed him walking back where she was. She is normally not very chatty (as a few who have met her know...) But he walked up and asked her about the dog. Dogs she chats about. I look back down the walkway to see her talking with him and think "WHERES MY CAMERA!" She in the mean time had no idea who she was talking to and figured it was a lead checking on the ride.

AVP
11-23-2008, 05:03 PM
I remember when MDM met Matt Ouimet ... he walked up and asked her about the dog.You probably know this, but he and his family raise dogs. I'm given to understand that he would even bring them to work.

AVP