PDA

View Full Version : Matterhorn Rehab question

The Great Dunn
11-30-2002, 12:45 AM
I was wondering what they were doing to the Matterhorn during this rehab. I heard alot of rock work is being done inside and outside of the Matterhorn.

What else are they doing to it? :)

cemeinke
11-30-2002, 12:50 AM
I heard they were re-theming it as "Kilimanjaro" in preparation for a relocation to Adventureland.
;)

The Great Dunn
11-30-2002, 12:54 AM
Now that sounds cool! :D

Matterhorn Fan
11-30-2002, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by cemeinke
I heard they were re-theming it as "Kilimanjaro" in preparation for a relocation to Adventureland.
;) Cool!!!! Will there be monkeys?

They aren't making these changes because someone was decapitated on it recently, are they?

HBDisneyPrincess
11-30-2002, 07:50 AM
I heard they mignt be adding Fast Pass.

SusanP.
11-30-2002, 10:20 AM
Does anyone know when this rehab is supposed to be done?

Darkbeer
11-30-2002, 11:31 AM
Currently, the rehab schedule shows them finishing January 11th, but many folks behind the scenes are now saying February. Rembember that things are always subject to change at Disney, but they way it is going, I wouldn't plan to ride it until March....

ldsguy
11-30-2002, 12:05 PM
The problem is a rather simple one, as to the completion date, well, that depends.....

First the problem, when they started tearing into the mountain, they found rotting wood, if you were there when they were doing it you could see that, runnign a ride with rotting wood isn't safe, so it needs to be replaced as near as I can tell most of it is being replaced with steel.

As to the reopening date, well, that depends on how much more rotting wood they find, from what we have seen they are basically rebuilding the mountain.

As for fastpass, we can only hope.

dsnybobsledbabe
11-30-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by ldsguy

First the problem, when they started tearing into the mountain, they found rotting wood, if you were there when they were doing it you could see that, runnign a ride with rotting wood isn't safe, so it needs to be replaced as near as I can tell most of it is being replaced with steel.

You would be surprised as to how long that wood has been rotted. Disney has a way to ingore it until it is so bad they have no choice but to fix it. Simply off the record of course.... straight from my fingertips to God's ears!

Disneyfreak
11-30-2002, 10:48 PM
I was there on friday and it was a interesting site! The mountain had gaping holes in it. A huge section was ripped out. There were tiny holes that were not noticeable and Huge holes. I think it should be done by the summer. I actually want them to take there time, because when its disney they rush things and it goes wrong in the long run. I want them to do the best job they can do, not just slap it back together.

TimBuk2
12-01-2002, 12:21 AM
I'll share some photos of the Matterhorn rehab I took on Thanksgiving (right after I got the photos of the Yellow Submarine) Rotting wood and all. The word I heard when they worked on it earlier this year that OSHA (Occupational Safety Hazard Assoc) came in and said it wasn't safe, mainly for the cast members that have to go inside of it. (Not to mention Tinkerbell)

Click Here to view some Matterhorn Rehab photos (http://www.creativenetweb.com/disneyphotos/matterhorn/)

Disneyfreak
12-01-2002, 03:35 PM
Wow!!!!! I want one of those cameras! What kind is it and how much? The clearity is perfect!!!! Those are some of the clearest pictures I have seen! I set it as a desktop picture.

TimBuk2
12-01-2002, 06:23 PM
It's a cheapie HP Digital, # 315 with 2.1mpxl. But it's hard to get some clear shots while moving on the Monorail. In that area they're going slow enough to get in a few.

Mad Hatter
12-01-2002, 11:14 PM
Harold needed a rest,long days without any breaks, roaring at everyone,and no one stops to say hi. Oh well thats the life of a yeti!:~D

Darkbeer
12-06-2002, 07:16 PM
The official schedule has been changed, and now the Matterhorn is listed as returning on February 13th, 2003.

http://www.mouseinfo.com/mousetalk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5789

ldsguy
12-08-2002, 02:41 PM
Also, they are apparently doing all the work to have it ready for the 50th Anniversary in addition to the rotting wood, and apparently as soon as it reopens space mountain is going down for one to two years to prep it for the 50th Anniversary.