PDA

View Full Version : New D-land annual pass design?

DonaldDuck14
11-29-2002, 06:22 PM
when will disneyland start having a new annual passport design?? I don't like the current one on the passes...it seems boring and un creative. I liked how before they had a different design every year. I think they should have different designs to let us choose from, like one could be a picture of space mountain, another could be of sleeping beauty's castle, and so on. anyone agree?

Rallymonkey23
11-29-2002, 07:01 PM
I agree with you on changing the face of the pass every year. I always liked getting my new one with anticipation for what will be new on the face.

HBTiggerFan
11-29-2002, 07:30 PM
They should change it yearly, even if it is to something that encompasses the "Disneyland resort"

Bruce Bergman
11-29-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
I agree with you on changing the face of the pass every year. I always liked getting my new one with anticipation for what will be new on the face.

But look at all those added production costs!! :eek: For the old pass design it's cheap, they just call the printers and re-order another 500,000 or 1M cards with the same artwork, but if they want to come up with a brand new card...

...They have to pay someone to come up with a new design, get it approved through three commitees, then have someone do all the artwork, someone else to do the text and the layout work, do the color seperations, burn the new printing plates, set up the special 4-color plastic-card-stock printing press for a "small" run of 250,000 cards...

But it's been a while. :sleep: I believe the last AP card design before this generic one was the Charles Boyer "Mickey self-portrait" that was pre-dated for the 1999-2000 season.

My new pass from just a few weeks ago is still the generic "Disneyland Resort" Castle-Bear-Monorail design. Here's to hoping they can get the Budgeteering Department to allow a new AP Card design again next year.

(Whatever the Imagineers can think up, the Budgeteers can torpedo. :crying: Cynical? Me??? Nahhh... Just realistic. :~D )

--<< Bruce >>--

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
11-29-2002, 11:26 PM
I don't think we'll see anything new on the passes until the 50th logo/solgan. Then we'll be sick of that one too as it's placed on every plastic shopping bag, slick flyer, napkin, diaper etc.

sydney
11-29-2002, 11:36 PM
well, thanks for letting us know they haven't changed the design. after seeing the new ad for APs with the goofy on them, they seemed to show a new design.

I didn't really like the Mickey self portrait design, and while I do like the generic DLR logo we now have, I must admit that this upcomming purchase will be my 3rd year under this same logo and it's starting to get a bit familiar... and boring.

Laffite
11-30-2002, 12:27 AM
But don't your picture on the back changes every year? Isn't that exciting? :p

preston

sydney
11-30-2002, 01:13 AM
actually mine hasn't cause for the past two years i've just gotten a new card at the guest services window outside the park. But as my pass photo is not only overexposed so that there's a huge white blob on my cheek in the picture but is kinda squashed down and dis-proportionate, I think the time has come to retire this picture. :)

So does anyone know which cameras give better pass pictures? (how geeky do I feel asking this? Let's just say a lot.)

merlinjones
11-30-2002, 06:00 AM
I really liked the one a few years back that had (the painting of the photo of) Walt walking through the castle. Soothing to look at.

The current Kmart-style Resort logo is ugly in all its forms.

tabacco
11-30-2002, 09:12 AM
Just about all of the cameras in the pavilion are identical, with the possible exception of the ones on the south end of the counter, which are rarely used anyway. The cameras actually take pretty good black and white photos, it's just that they have to be heavily dithered for the printer.

Bruce Bergman
11-30-2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by tabacco
Just about all of the cameras in the pavilion are identical, with the possible exception of the ones on the south end of the counter, which are rarely used anyway. The cameras actually take pretty good black and white photos, it's just that they have to be heavily dithered for the printer.

My AP photo has an annoying lighting shadow behind one shoulder that makes me look like Quasimodo, and another shadow that turns my chin into a goatee. At the DMV, at least the bad pictures on your Drivers License are in color... :rolleyes:

Do they have a floppy drive or CD-ROM drive available for file input on those computers? It would make a nice cottage industry - Sit someone down in front of a neutral background, take several pictures until you get a good photo :D you could live with looking at for several years, and play with Photoshop untill you get something that comes out really nice on the pass.

And hand them the floppy when you go in for renewal. :confused:

--<< Bruce >>--

tabacco
11-30-2002, 04:34 PM
No, but you should suggest it to the company that makes our ticketing software, Galaxy :)

Laffite
12-01-2002, 12:07 PM
Well, if it makes anybody feel better (and probably won't), I don't like my AP pic either.

Putting pictures on small plastic cards is apparently a really bad idea :(

preston

Disney Darlin'
12-01-2002, 02:59 PM
I wish I could see my distorted pic on a pass again :crying:

awinner
12-01-2002, 04:07 PM
i just saw a magazine add with a picture of goofy on front of the a.p., but i am sure that was for advertisement only:(

Rallymonkey23
12-01-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by awinner
i just saw a magazine add with a picture of goofy on front of the a.p., but i am sure that was for advertisement only:(

Well i'll let you all know if anything like that is true because I have to renew Saturday. ;)

cstephens
12-02-2002, 07:04 AM
As I recall from years past, new AP designs didn't generally show up until mid-January to sometime in February. A friend who used to have a renewal date of early January always got his "new AP design" a year after most of the rest of us because they didn't have the new passes yet when it was time for him to renew.

Wizard69
12-02-2002, 01:43 PM
For those complaining about their AP picture. Just ask them to take a new one when you renew. Me, I like my picture so I have used it for several years. You can usually ask them to see the picture when they take it and ask for redo. More than likely, they will do it. If you are getting a new AP, ask to see your picture before they print the card. A few years back, they automatically showed you your pic when they took it but I guess since so many people are getting APs now they don't show you unless you ask.