PDA

View Full Version : Fire Today

Pages : [1] 2

DizneyMommy
11-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Anyone live at the Garden Grove end of Anaheim know what the air is like? From my view, it looks like it is blowing north and looks like it may not be too bad directly over DL, but it'd be nice to know before we head out and end up turning around to come home...

SUNSHINE4565
11-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Well the air over here in Orange about 5 miles from Disneyland is really bad and hard to breathe .. so my guess is Disneyland is not the greatest place to go right now:(

Sky is black and smokey and ashes are flying
and the way the winds are moving it..................its going toward the park
:crying:

Darkbeer
11-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Just stepped outside and took some photos of the sky in Tustin (5 and 55 intersection), less than 10 miles south of Disneyland.

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/6562347_LtcFf

DizneyMommy
11-15-2008, 01:53 PM
That doesn't sound good. And I did not realize how close the fire was to DL. What are the odds that they have to shut down to protect the CM's from the bad air, with the fire being so close?

ChurroGirl
11-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Oh my goodness. You all just stay safe.

Lets pray for a miracle that this wind will stop for sometime so that the brave men and women who are fighting these monsters can try and get a leg up on this.

Tony
11-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Just as an update, MouseAdventure will proceed as scheduled tomorrow, so long as the Disneyland Resort is open.

Teams are warned that it is hot, windy, and smoky - so please, plan accordingly.

PanFan
11-15-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm five miles west of DL and doing laundry today was really difficult because the laundromat keeps the doors open. Ash kept flying around inside and by the end it was hard for me to breathe (I don't do well in smoke at all). It's really gross outside. I'm a little nervous about leaving my apartment in these conditions, but at the same time am really glad to be getting away from it for a week. And as much as I love MA, I'm pretty glad I'm not doing it this time around. Good luck to all of the participants! Drink even more water than usual!

dznyphreak
11-15-2008, 02:34 PM
I'm in Hawthorne, about 35 miles away, and the sky is orange and it is literally snowing ash. Stinks like heck too.

DisneyMamaof2
11-15-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm in Fullerton right off of the 57, about a 3 1/2 miles from the Brea fire, and about 7 miles from the Yorba Linda fire. The air here is really bad. I can smell the smoke in my house :| We were thinking about going to DL tomorrow for my DD's 4th birthday, I hope the air gets a little better by then. She would be devastated if she doesn't get to go.

Leslie

sandmannn69
11-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Today (Saturday) was a very smokey, sooty day at Disneyland. Not complaining, because feel terrible for all those families who've lost their homes to the fires. Just an update, soot was falling in the park most of the morning and afternoon, probably from the Anaheim hills fire. Lots of people rubbing eyes and a few breath masks, definitely will not be Fantasmic or FW tonite unless wind reduces a lot. FW and late Fantasmic shows canceled last night as wind really picked up around 9 PM. Small crowds since Thursday, except seemed fairly busy Friday night. Lots of Christmas deco up, more everyday.

foolishmortal
11-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Ohh ! Icky! Stay safe everyone!
I'd keep the windows shut to keep out any ash and possiable embers!:eek:

I hope everyone has a good time at MA and drink lots of water! Dust masks might be in order;)

Hope the winds die down soon! Asking for light rains for all of CA to help with the dust and the to help CDF put out the fires!

Heaven Is Disneyland
11-15-2008, 06:37 PM
It was just yucky at Disneyland today. Horrible air quality, the sky was literally brown and the winds were high. The best part was the ash falling on us while we were in DCA. It felt really strange and a tad surreal.

I drove home, and made it safely taking my usual route. Traffic was bad at first but then cleared up......Don't know what the situation will be like for the drive back tomorrow morning, though.

Wish me luck!

MouseVII
11-15-2008, 06:48 PM
I'm in Hawthorne, about 35 miles away, and the sky is orange and it is literally snowing ash. Stinks like heck too.I worked today (in Hawthorne) and when I got to my car to go home it was covered in ash.

The smoke made me feel not so good, also. Glad I went home when I did.

spookykitten
11-15-2008, 10:08 PM
My husband and I were planning on going to DL tomorrow, but have canceled those plans due to the fires. We live in Rancho Cucamonga, which is about 37 miles from the park, and we were having breathing problems out here. We could see the huge clouds of smoke and ash and even saw a few flames shooting up into the air. My thoughts and prayers are with those who are being directly affected by the horrible fires.

cinderbike
11-15-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm in Fullerton right off of the 57, about a 3 1/2 miles from the Brea fire, and about 7 miles from the Yorba Linda fire. The air here is really bad. I can smell the smoke in my house :| We were thinking about going to DL tomorrow for my DD's 4th birthday, I hope the air gets a little better by then. She would be devastated if she doesn't get to go.

Leslie

You must live near me. It was pretty bad today. I took a few photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cinderbike/

That was around 2pm. It's gotten much worse. Very smoky outside, I can see the glow of the fire in the distance.

jenniebean
11-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Was planning on a DL homework day, but chose to sleep in... thank goodness because when I woke up & saw the smoke, I had a panic attack. Kind of paranoid about fires... which you know if you've read other random threads. Put my "emergency bag" (meds for a week, first aid, most important things for sentimental value, etc.) in my car. I hope you all are safe!

olegc
11-16-2008, 06:15 AM
My daughter was at the park yesterday for her High School to march with the band down Main Street. Bad air, lots of ash. My other daughter who was there said a 2x2 piece of ash floated by them while on Screamin' - and the view from Tower when the elevator doors opened was actually scary.

No bandana's - but lots of those cheap washcloths (bundled into a disc) were selling so people could put them over their mouths.

Darkbeer
11-16-2008, 06:44 AM
Sunday Morning Freeway Update.

Currently parts of the 57, 71, 241 and 261 are closed, basically freeways that are East of Disneyland.

backsthepack
11-16-2008, 07:16 AM
I am so sorry you guys that live around there are dealing with this. Those of us in Arizona understand the problems with the wildfires. I understand that some of our firefighters have headed over there to help.

While it is sad that some are having to change their plans for visiting Disneyland, lets not lose focus on the fact that so many people are losing their homes and belongings due to these fires...and lets pray that they are not losing their lives. Everyone that is near these fires, I hope that you are safe and remember, stuff can be replaced. Get out if they tell you to go.

Darkbeer
11-16-2008, 07:41 AM
As of 8 AM PST Sunday, 0% containment on the Triangle Complexe Fire (Yorba Linda).

Full Fire Department Press Release.

http://www.ocfa.org/pages/ocfa.asp?filename=freewayic.asp

Sarah B in SD
11-16-2008, 10:23 AM
I have 2 friends that went to the park yesterday, one braved it, said it was hot, ashy and not crowded, the other drove up from San diego, got out of the car at Disneyland, said forget this, and went to visit family in HB instead.

Tinkermommy
11-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Another demonstration of the value of MousePlanet -- I was going to take the Tinkertween to Disneyland today. I almost never watch local news channels, spent most of yesterday doing housework, and had no idea until around 9 last night that any of this was even going on in Orange County. I read it here first when I checked the board to see what was new.

My heart is breaking for all those people...I can't even imagine.

ChurroGirl
11-16-2008, 03:32 PM
This just breaks my heart. I hope everyone is staying safe out there.:(

DizneyMommy
11-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I'm glad we decided not to bother trying it. We are in Huntington Beach and even here have visible pieces of ash covering our patio this morning.

Bytebear
11-16-2008, 07:29 PM
We went to the park today. Having three freeways closed really drew the crowds away. The park was dead. Not just less crowded, but absolutely dead. Deader than I have seen it in 10 years. Space Mountain had no line, so much that they let the regular line go into the Fastpass line. Fastpass was really useless today. We rode Matterhorn three times in a row because we could enter in at the handcap entrance, and then go around through the switchbacks (which had the gates open, so you went right to the loading area. That's how dead the park was. I am sorry for the circumstances that led to it though. :(