PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain - once and for all

GeminiAngel
11-29-2002, 02:34 PM
I'm getting mixed messages on the referb. of space mtn. I read somewhere online that it was cancelled? is that true or is it on for Feb.?!!! I'm soooo confused:confused:

The RX Droid
11-29-2002, 04:12 PM
Wellps, it seems to be commen ideology around that that Space Moutain will undergo a major referb in 2003, and open a year later for Disneyland's anniversary. No one outside of the imagineers know what's going to happen to the mountain, I'm personally excited to see what they do, however I find it odd Disney is investing to fix a ride that essentially isn't broken. However, Space mountain has been showing it's age, and it could benifit from LIM technology. I mean, if any ride deserves a launch start, shouldn't it be Space Mountain? Though it would be cool if the ride had multiple launches. Hmm..We can only dream right now. ;)

GeminiAngel
11-29-2002, 04:49 PM
so you do you know the answer to my post???

Bruce Bergman
11-29-2002, 08:44 PM
A LIM Launch start would be cool, but there's a small problem to solve before it can be done - it would throw the ride timing way off. The lift system sucks up a lot of in-transit ride time, with two or three rockets on the three lifts at any one time.

They would need to lengthen the track :) , slow down the rockets inside with trim brakes :( , or reduce the number of trains on the main track :( to make up for the speeded up launch cycle.

It's not impossible, though... ;)

--<< Bruce >>--

ldsguy
11-29-2002, 10:05 PM
In Feb, the Refurbishment Schedule According to the Official Disneyland Website shows the following attractions closed:

Refurbishment Schedule
Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes
Mad Tea Party
Sleeping Beauty Castle
Rivers of America
Mark Twain Riverboat
Sailing Ship Columbia

Space Mountain is not one of them.

Darkbeer
11-29-2002, 10:19 PM
What I understand...

The February refurb was scheduled before they decided to replace all the track (in part for the 50th, but it was going to have to be done anyway.) Once they decided the track was going to go, why spend time and effort to fix it? They are hoping to have things last thru Labor Day, at which time, Space will close for a LONG rehab, which will include replacing all the track. Now, what else will be done, thats what they are still debating about, and how much they can spend on it.

What has been approved is a basic replacement of the entire track with the same layout, plus a few minor special effects added as the "50th" special present. They are also going to do a rehab of the loading/unloading area to add safety gates, and do other things to keep DOSH and the lawyers happy.

What is currently going on behind the scenes is the permission to spend some more money, and upgrade Space Mountain. That is the current in-house battle, and no decision has been made.

And only time will tell what will finally happen, as always, things are ALWAYS subject to change at Disney:p

Darkbeer
11-29-2002, 10:36 PM
Here is the complete February rehab schedule as I know it...

Let's start with the Political closures...

Sleeping Beauty's Castle Walk-through and Superstar Limo, both closed until who the heck knows... Just don't expect it anytime in 2003!

King Arthur's Carrousel is being rebuilt, and might reopen sometime in February, though it might be a month or two later... (last I heard, they are saying Spring, 2003, whenever that is...)

Many people are saying that the Matterhorn now won't reopen until at least February (it is currently "scheduled" to reopen on Jan. 11, 2003... but how many times was the Splash date changed???)

The Rivers are being drained in early January, so of course, all river craft, plus Tom Sawyer's Island will be closed (and, of course, Fantasmic!)

it's a small world is scheduled to reopen after removal of the Holiday stuff on Feb. 7th.

Also, Splash Mountain and the entire Critter Country is scheduled to be closed from February 3rd thru the 21st to help get ready for Pooh.

Also, of course, the ABC Bistro is now closed, and is being retrofitted for Playhouse Disney, scheduled to open in April.

Hollywood and Dine also will remain closed until the opening of ToT.

Laffite
11-30-2002, 12:32 AM
Man, that's a lot of closing for 2k3 :(

Isn't Blue Bayou and POTC scheduled to be closed too?

preston

awinner
12-01-2002, 04:03 PM
i know that club 33 will be closed in january