PDA

View Full Version : So is 2009 going to be a good year to visit DCA?

Pages : [1] 2

santoanderson
11-13-2008, 09:47 PM
I know it sounds hokey, but 2008 felt perfect. We went in April, and despite it being a little more crowded than we're used to, it was great. Almost no ride closures, we got to ride all the E-tickets, and most of all there wasn't much construction. Now I'm getting antsy again, recently realizing that even though the trip felt like yesterday, it has in fact been 7 months. I'd like to go back, but I'm left wondering, with the big DCA face lift, will I feel a little cheated?
I don't want to say that I have a phobia of construction walls, but our family was at Disneyland when the "New Tomorrowland" was under construction in the late 90s, and man, did we feel like cattle. Now that was just one land getting an upgrade, but right now we're talking full reconstructive surgery. Even now when I picture an under construction DCA in my mind I envision blue walls mired with the noises of belt sanders and blow torches.
Now obviously they're going to do these things in stages, but honestly, what do you guys think? Will an empty lagoon, an inoperable ferris wheel, and a dismantled esplanade ruin what little magic DCA might have on my next trip?

Darkbeer
11-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Good question...

One of the main points of "Blue Sky Cellar" (aka DCA Preview Center) opened when it did was timing. As in JUST before the major work started.

The plan is to allow guests who make comments about the construction work to Cast Members be allowed to point towards Blue Sky Cellar and talk about the POSITIVIES of the changes.

Will some days be "poor" for guests, yes, I do think so, but Disney is trying its best to time the "worst" of the time periods to be the slowest times of the year.

Things happen, and hopefully a much better park will be south of Disneyland in 2012!

And there will be some disappointments between now and then....

santoanderson
11-14-2008, 06:51 PM
So is it a five year remodel, or just a three year? Mind you I'm starting the count in 2009.

I guess the biggest thing I'll miss is the Giant C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A out in the front plaza. I got used to it. Now I'm in no way against the nostalgic front gate redesign, but aren't they essentially gutting the Entrance Plaza all the way to Condor Flats? And when they do, how will that affect people entering the park when it's under construction? Is the first thing you see going to be a massive blue wall in front of a massive blue tarp covering something equally massive? Well, I have faith in the imagineers. I think they'll schedule the construction so walkways will be opened up and people won't feel so bovine like.

olegc
11-14-2008, 07:39 PM
So is it a five year remodel, or just a three year? Mind you I'm starting the count in 2009.

I guess the biggest thing I'll miss is the Giant C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A out in the front plaza. I got used to it. Now I'm in no way against the nostalgic front gate redesign, but aren't they essentially gutting the Entrance Plaza all the way to Condor Flats? And when they do, how will that affect people entering the park when it's under construction? Is the first thing you see going to be a massive blue wall in front of a massive blue tarp covering something equally massive? Well, I have faith in the imagineers. I think they'll schedule the construction so walkways will be opened up and people won't feel so bovine like.

your new entry will be the large gate to the west of Soarin - so essentially on the other side of La Brea bakery (between it and the WOD store). This is what I remember being stated before.

The front facade is not only being gutted but extended so that they can get a "hollywood main street" out of it. and condor flats will not exist anymore - it will be all tied in to the theme of the Grizzly area (1920's National Parks). There is some great info here on MP as well as Micechat (a project tracker).

disneylandgirl
11-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Woa! Wait a second here... the WHOLE park is getting re-done? Did I miss something???

oregontraveler
11-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Oh yes, we are getting a major remodel. And the budget is is just as much as the what the original park cost, (go figure) As mentioned, the entry plaza will be lengthend out , adding a red car trolley system plus new shops and restaurants. The former Golden Dreams theater will be The Little Mermaid dark ride, (which can be viewed on the Platnum DVD edition) The lagoon is getting a Wonderful World of Color nighttime light show. Think The Bellagio fountains, only bigger. Paradise Pier is getting a face lift as we speak to a Victorian theme. Starting with Toy Story Mania, Mickey Fun Wheel, the Orange Stinger will be the Silly Symphony Swings, Maliboomer is removed, Mullholland Madness becomes Goofy's Barnstormer. Jumpin' Jellyfish is removed, Golden Zephyr stays. Burger Invasion has closed and will become a new eatery/beer garden. They will be adding seating areas to accomodate
the night show. And the E-Ticket extravaganza opening in 2012 is CarsLand.
Taking over the Parking lot, a 12 acre land featuring Radiator Springs Racers, think Test Track upgrade. 2 other rides with Mater & Luigi.
A new Soarin' Over the World film is planned for 2013.

There's more, I would check out the Preview Center and do some research
including MiceAge

santoanderson
11-14-2008, 08:38 PM
your new entry will be the large gate to the west of Soarin - so essentially on the other side of La Brea bakery (between it and the WOD store). This is what I remember being stated before.

Well that's going to throw off the symmetrical entrance layout they have now. Bummer. And won't it mean having to extend the security and bag checks even further into Downtown Disney?

I love the new nostalgic designs, and I only wish they'd gone this direction instead of the way they did 7 years ago. But holy crap, Paradise Pier is going to be unnavigable, and by the sound of it, at least 50% of its attractions will be down at any given time.

All I hope is that the 2012 projection means selectively taking down rides, while keeping others in the area open until the newly renovated attraction opens. At which point they can start on another. But if it were a worst case scenario and all or Paradise Pier was closed, and most of Hollywood Backlot was under construction, the lagoon was bare and empty, and cranes are looming over Cars land all at the same time, I'd feel like I was getting gypped.

olegc
11-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Well that's going to throw off the symmetrical entrance layout they have now. Bummer. And won't it mean having to extend the security and bag checks even further into Downtown Disney?

I love the new nostalgic designs, and I only wish they'd gone this direction instead of the way they did 7 years ago. But holy crap, Paradise Pier is going to be unnavigable, and by the sound of it, at least 50% of its attractions will be down at any given time.

All I hope is that the 2012 projection means selectively taking down rides, while keeping others in the area open until the newly renovated attraction opens. At which point they can start on another. But if it were a worst case scenario and all or Paradise Pier was closed, and most of Hollywood Backlot was under construction, the lagoon was bare and empty, and cranes are looming over Cars land all at the same time, I'd feel like I was getting gypped.

it's only a temporary entrance..
and i doubt so much will be done at the same time. When you go to blue sky - just check it out.

underthesea1987
11-14-2008, 08:55 PM
As long as I finally get my mermaid ride!!!!!

Carina
11-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa Boo Hoo - No C A L I F O R N I A.... I LOVE that, I got my pic in the C and my Hubby (Al) got his taken with the AL

When we got home my daughter pointed out I can do the whole CARINA I sure hope its still up next may - I planned to go REAL early so help lower the odds of strangers in the background!

twindaddy
11-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa Boo Hoo - No C A L I F O R N I A.... I LOVE that, I got my pic in the C and my Hubby (Al) got his taken with the AL

When we got home my daughter pointed out I can do the whole CARINA I sure hope its still up next may - I planned to go REAL early so help lower the odds of strangers in the background!

Maybe I am a weirdo, but sometimes strangers discretely in the background adds to it. I look at them and think "who are they? Where do they live, what do they do? What are they doing RIGHT this moment?"

Ok, I am a weirdo....

foolishmortal
11-14-2008, 11:41 PM
I am probably the only person who Likes DCA.

I like the wide walkways and no street cars or tracks to fall into.
I will HATE condor flats being gone.

It was a nice break form DL to go to DCA. I LOVE my mickey but nice not to see it every 2 steps and get to see the other characters too!

So funny the kids love DL about they are soo happy in DCA they jump around with out the confinement that DL has and they seem to smile a lot more over there! AND they love bug land!

I REALLY didn't see a major problem with DCA other then the severe lack of rides.
I think it was much improved with the addition of a few new rides.

Does anyone know what will happen to the wonderful tiles at the entrance?
I hope they just don't destroy them.
Maybe we will see them rescued by Duncan ceramics and be placed in Clovis somewhere.

I do look forward to seeing what good things there will be, but will miss the Happy place for us. It is much more relaxed over in DCA.

Did check out the blue sky exhibit and saw lots of neat things, so will look forward to those.
Not a big fan of the new entrance or Hollywood disney theaming. I like the giant sun.

foolishmortal
11-14-2008, 11:43 PM
Maybe I am a weirdo, but sometimes strangers discretely in the background adds to it. I look at them and think "who are they? Where do they live, what do they do? What are they doing RIGHT this moment?"

Ok, I am a weirdo....

Hi weirdo! I do the same thing ..Hummm wonder who they are? they look like they are having fun....funny stuff like that!

santoanderson
11-15-2008, 06:37 AM
Wait, they're getting rid of Condor Flats, too? Ah, crap. That was my favorite part of the park.... Shoot, I need to go luck at the Blue Sky Cellar page, I seem to have missed it the last time I looked. Does anyone have or know of a high res map or rendering of the new park?

Gosh, with all these changes, it makes you think if on the final day of construction, while Al Weiss is cutting the ribbon they suddenly drop a "new" name for the park.

DizneyMommy
11-15-2008, 06:45 AM
Does anyone know appx when the CA sign will be coming down? My girls names start with I and A so I want to get a photo of them and their letters next to each other before they take it down. The baby only just started sitting up long enough for me to prop her in front of the I - and of course it's a candy cane right now!:rolleyes:

I would go in Blue Sky and ask... but since they have a random sometimes enforced NO STROLLER policy I refuse to go in there. My 8 month old is asleep every time we pass it. I have seen other people come out with strollers and I only try to go when it is dead empty in the park, but I guess I have crappy luck with CM's.

underthesea1987
11-15-2008, 07:16 AM
Wait are they getting rid of soaring?
Its the best part of DCA!!

DizneyMommy
11-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Wait are they getting rid of soaring?
Its the best part of DCA!!

No, they are not getting rid of Soarin'. That is one of the only 3 rides in the park that always has a line.

oregontraveler
11-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Does anyone know appx when the CA sign will be coming down? My girls names start with I and A so I want to get a photo of them and their letters next to each other before they take it down. The baby only just started sitting up long enough for me to prop her in front of the I - and of course it's a candy cane right now!:rolleyes:

According to the DCA project tracker, The main entry plaza will be closed in early 2009. Supposed to reopen in 2011. But when I looked at the temp entrance paragraph (located next to Soarin) that entry is only supposed to be there for 6-8 months. If you were to come back in January after X-Mas season, you should be able to get pics of the CAL sign. And I would assume that they might stay up for a while even when the entry gates are closed.

Also, the ceramic tiles will be gone and the Golden Gate bridge too, replaced with a different overpass theme.

santoanderson
11-15-2008, 09:15 AM
I wonder which letters John Stamos is going to buy...

Shootingstaar
11-15-2008, 09:16 AM
According to the DCA project tracker, The main entry plaza will be closed in early 2009. Supposed to reopen in 2011. But when I looked at the temp entrance paragraph (located next to Soarin) that entry is only supposed to be there for 6-8 months. If you were to come back in January after X-Mas season, you should be able to get pics of the CAL sign. And I would assume that they might stay up for a while even when the entry gates are closed.

Also, the ceramic tiles will be gone and the Golden Gate bridge too, replaced with a different overpass theme.

:eek:Oooh I hope the letters are still up on Jan. 31st. I have been waiting til I graduate nursing school to take my picture with the "R N", but we will be there on Jan. 31st and hopefully I can get the picture without seasonal letters.

underthesea1987
11-15-2008, 10:22 AM
No, they are not getting rid of Soarin'. That is one of the only 3 rides in the park that always has a line.

Thank Goodness I would cry!

Carina
11-15-2008, 06:45 PM
I Love the C A L I F O R N I A
I Love the Golden Gate Bridge
I Liked the big sun on the sunwheel - why put Mickey there - he's right next to it on the coaster

Don't think changing things that aint broke is anything but a waste of money - I mean have you EVER thought "wow this park would be 100% better if there wasnt a golden gate bridge" OR " gee that park might be intresting to check out but those huge letters outside of it are so garish that I wont set foot in there?

No its all about the much lower # of rides - and the lack of shade that people say make it unplesant in the summer ( we were there on a balmy week in may)

I like the idea of Cars land - I like the idea that the lagoon will have a purpose I like that there is a new ride ( toy story) although I wish they made a movie theme that was not already represneted in the park - there are lots of movies not really represented - although glad mermaid is coming, wish lion king had a ride!

Adding stuff is great, the more the better, but replacing stuff and chaging the entrance seems redundant - REALLY redundant

MouseVII
11-15-2008, 07:46 PM
I Love the C A L I F O R N I A
I Love the Golden Gate Bridge
I Liked the big sun on the sunwheel - why put Mickey there - he's right next to it on the coaster

Don't think changing things that aint broke is anything but a waste of money - I mean have you EVER thought "wow this park would be 100% better if there wasnt a golden gate bridge" OR " gee that park might be intresting to check out but those huge letters outside of it are so garish that I wont set foot in there?

I think it has to do with theming. Those items you're talking about won't fit in with the new theme.

SeansMom
11-15-2008, 08:34 PM
:eek:Oooh I hope the letters are still up on Jan. 31st. I have been waiting til I graduate nursing school to take my picture with the "R N", but we will be there on Jan. 31st and hopefully I can get the picture without seasonal letters.

OMG! What a GREAT idea! Now I want to go just to take my picture with the R and the N :D.

foolishmortal
11-15-2008, 10:30 PM
I wonder which letters John Stamos is going to buy...

lol! BUT disney aution ears hasn't sold anything in a long time! I miss it.
Hopeing they will have another dream/parking lot sale!

I want the tiles! and the the C!

Stupid distroy condor flats meanies! I wanted more rides not a re-hash of DL!

Poor Dh loves condor flats too. He might not want to go to DCA anymore.