PDA

View Full Version : Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour - Passholder Preview

ILikeScrooge
11-28-2002, 10:52 AM
:) Yesterday, (Wednesday) I went on the new Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour at the Park. With great expectations, I joined a small group of 15 other Guests on this $49.00 tour. Having been on the previous tour, I had high expectations of learning new facts, seeing new sights and having a great time. Two schedule highlights were to be the Tiki Room and Club 33.

After a brief introduction, we started on our tour – down Main Street, (Walt Disney Story, Main Street Cinema, viewing of one (only) window and a discussion of its significance and off to Tiki Room). The Guide seemed enthusiastic but not as knowledgeable as I would have anticipated for a Passholder Preview event. Several of the guests had as much knowledge (or more) than the Guide.

Billed, as a "highlight" was a visit to the Tiki Room. After having to wait until the show stopped, we entered the Tiki Room and sat down. While there was some discussion about it being one of the first (if not THE first) autoanimtronics features, there was NO insight into the operation of the room or a visit to the 'control' room. :crying: From there we left to the second "highlight" was the entrance lobby of Club 33. The Guide pointed out the lift (elevator) and how Walt had seen one during a trip, wanted to purchase it, and ended up just making a replica instead. Limited mention of the Club, it's history or other significant information. [Having been recently a Guest in the Club, I was able to provide significantly more information than our guide was!].

From there, a long wait for the train and off to Tomorrowland and a review of the plantings of vegetables (and other edibles) in the area. Standing out side of The American Space Experience, we discussed the various (removed) rides in Tomorrowland and how they are depicted on the exterior wall above the Exhibit area. Leaving Tomorrowland, we went to Fantasyland where we visited Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and discussed the ‘forced perspective’ methods of construction in the Park. After a brief visit to the Carrousel site (it’s still under construction) we went back out past Plaza Gardens and discussed the Castle and how it was built.

Through Adventureland and off to the Family entrance to Disney Gallery we went up the stairs from the Courtyard and into the Gallery. Reviewing how it would have been originally used by Walt and his family, we ended the tour in the Patio with a box lunch (most likely the true highlight of the tour:) ), filled out an evaluation card, received our Commemorative pin and left.

The discussion at our table (all passholders) was that it was a disappointing :(

Kuzcotopia
11-28-2002, 11:43 PM
I went on the old one, and was disappointed as well, though other Mouse Padders loved it.

When they updated it, I thought that perhaps they sought to inject new life into the tour. After all, once the trivia in the tour gets told and re-told from passholder to passholder, the tour itself gets stale, even for first-time tour guests.

Too bad that you didn't enjoy it. I'm staying away. I've seen the Tiki Room and the elevator. I wonder why they don't offer a backstage tour instead?