PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain

Pages : [1] 2

Morrigoon
07-09-2001, 09:06 PM
Seeing the image for today's notes from the world (pic of WDW's SM) reminded me of something:

I *REALLY* miss our beautiful white space mountain! Wish they'd paint it back one of these days!

jjbell
07-09-2001, 11:00 PM
I so agree with you. I think it looks like someone threw-up on it, it looks so much better white. If they had to paint it why not anything but what they picked I don't get it, it's gross. Jill:confused:

AVP
07-10-2001, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by jjbell
If they had to paint it why not anything but what they picked I don't get it, it's gross. Jill:confused:

Personally, I like the paint job, because the all-white SM looked icky between paintings. (Anyone else remember the year SM turned faintly green with mold?)

As for the current color scheme, I think you have to go back to the "master plan" to appreciate it. When we walked into Tomorrowland at Disneyland Paris, where EVERYTHING is gone in that same antiqued color palate, we understood what they were trying to do at Disneyland. Unfortunately, they didn't have the budget to do it right, or do it completely. DLP is what Disneylands SHOULD look like - and it makes perfect sense when you see it.

Adrienne VP

amynicole22
07-10-2001, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by AVP

Unfortunately, they didn't have the budget to do it right, or do it completely. DLP is what Disneylands SHOULD look like - and it makes perfect sense when you see it.

I get what they were "trying" to do with the tomorrowland color scheme makeover, and I think you're right - if they had had the budget to do it right, Space Mountain would look great. However, as it is now - horrid!

I especially love how the florescent lighting in the beginning of the inside queue makes the rust colored paint take on a nasty greenish-brown hue. Lovely.

PirateoftheCaribbean
07-10-2001, 11:20 AM
I get what you're saying, and I don't mimd the current color. But, If I had the choice, I would love the white. Just my opinion.;)

Lacrosse Boy
07-10-2001, 12:14 PM
While I liked the old Space Mountain color, the new scheme has grown on me. Now if the MUSIC would just work . . .

Gemini Cricket
07-10-2001, 12:22 PM
I enjoy the updated Jules Verne look of SM now. The white was a too dull, 2001 Stanley Kubrick-ian feel for me.

Mandrake Linux
07-10-2001, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by AVP

DLP is what Disneylands SHOULD look like - and it makes perfect sense when you see it.

Adrienne VP

Hell no! DLP's mountain looks like a big fruity candy cane! Nothing futuristic about that.

JRob2k1
07-10-2001, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Mandrake Linux

Hell no! DLP's mountain looks like a big fruity candy cane! Nothing futuristic about that.

But DLP's is not about the future. Its not called Tomarrowland, its called Discoveryland or whatever. They have no need for it to look "futuristic."

But if DL's tomarrowland would have had the funds available to finish the theme of the new tomarrowland, it wouldnt look as bad as it is.

-JRob

Napsto
07-11-2001, 09:32 PM
i like the SM colors.

hbquikcomjamesl
08-28-2001, 10:18 AM
Who can identify the main piece of music in the Space Mountain soundtrack? There are bits of other pieces thrown in, and parts of the soundtrack are barely recognizable variations on the theme from the main piece, but from "we have ignition" on, it's dominated by a fairly straightforward, easily recognizable, rock arrangement of a single classical piece.

If you know the piece, it shouldn't be much of a fishing expedition. ;) The trick is being able to hear the theme through a radical change of instrumentation.

Ozymandius
08-28-2001, 10:36 AM
The first time I heard it I immediately thought it was this...

Camille Saint-Saëns

Aquarium from the Carnival of the Animals, if memory serves

Ozy :)

Nigel2
08-28-2001, 10:38 AM
I know Dick Dale plays the guitar part of it, I also think its the same as DLP (thats what I heard) the song is De Lat Terre a la Lune.

JeffG
08-28-2001, 10:50 AM
Oxymandius is completely correct. The melody for the Disneyland Space Mountain music is Aquarium from Carnival of the Animals.

The music used in DLP is completely different, although it can be heard in Disneyland as one of the 4 pieces played by the Observatron.

-Jeff

hbquikcomjamesl
08-28-2001, 11:19 AM
"Ozy" said:

The first time I heard it I immediately thought it was this...

Camille Saint-Saëns

Aquarium from the Carnival of the Animals, if memory serves

Quite correct. Up until "We Have Ignition," we hear a few barely-recognizable variations, possibly with some other stuff mixed in; after a few drum hits, it's the Saint-Saens all the way to the "reentry" tunnel. The lead guitar takes the string line, while the drums beat out a rhythm where the original has an arpeggiated figure played by (if I remember right) both pianists and (I think) the harpist.

I remember, from a few years back, the first time I rode it after the music was added: all the way up, I was thinking, "this sounds vaguely familiar." From the top to about halfway down, I was thinking, "I know this piece." Then, pulling a moderately heavy G-load about halfway down, the realization hit me.

Incidentally, a year ago this past July 4th, I lost my hat on Space Mountain. Even though it was probably the only California State Railroad Museum hat ever lost in Disneyland, and I filed a report with lost-and-found, it never did turn up. :(

Napsto
08-28-2001, 11:40 AM
i love the music.

Nigel2
08-28-2001, 01:51 PM
Ok here is what the song is, I was right about its name, but Ozy is also right the song is De Terre a la Lune, but (this coming from the 75 years album) the song is based on Camille Saint-Saëns, with Dick Dale playing. So whatever, I kinda like the new color, but I miss the old look at night.

JeffG
08-28-2001, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Ok here is what the song is, I was right about its name, but Ozy is also right the song is De Terre a la Lune, but (this coming from the 75 years album) the song is based on Camille Saint-Saëns, with Dick Dale playing.

The track listings on the "75 Years of Magic" album are incorrect. Originally, they had intended to include "De Terre a la Lune", which is the music that plays on Disneyland Paris' version of Space Mountain. They ran into some rights issues of some sort, though, and had to replace it with the Disneyland version of the music at the last minute. The track listings didn't get modified to reflect that change.

-Jeff

hbquikcomjamesl
08-28-2001, 02:31 PM
. . . you can find probably at least half a dozen different performances of the original in the classical section of any record store.

Nigel2
08-28-2001, 02:58 PM
I am going to download it off of kazza to see. So it sounds the same/close up to the ignition right? I always thought that they kept the same name for the song between the 2 parks since it was a good name for the song.

tabacco
08-28-2001, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
"Ozy" said:
Incidentally, a year ago this past July 4th, I lost my hat on Space Mountain. Even though it was probably the only California State Railroad Museum hat ever lost in Disneyland, and I filed a report with lost-and-found, it never did turn up. :(

That's a cool museum

Wackokid
08-28-2001, 08:48 PM
that music is cool once on the way up some guy was waving his hands and other people started doing it it was funny

Cadaverous Pallor
08-30-2001, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Doc
I enjoy the updated Jules Verne look of SM now. The white was a too dull, 2001 Stanley Kubrick-ian feel for me.
I second that motion. Right now the "futuristic" colors would include a burnished silver - the color of new stereos etc. The huge problem is that Tomorrowland needs to be updated every ten years. Walt redid Tomorrowland 10 years after Disneyland was built, and from the quotes I've seen, I'm sure he would've continued to do so. Keeping up with tomorrow's ideas, colors, and interests costs a lot of money. When they did the recent Tomorrowland renovation I read that they chose the bronzes etc because they are more "timeless" than anything, so they don't have to update all the time.

It seems to me that it doesn't matter what color it used to be, people will always clamor for what's in the past. If it used to be bronze and they painted it white, people would want the bronze back! Everyone remembers what the park was like when they were kids and they want it to be that way forever. Rose colored glasses! AVP mentioned that the white looked bad between paintings, and that really took me back. That white got dirty easily.

If I totally had my choice of design for SM, I'd go with a soft silver, with fiber optic twinkling lights at night. Now there's a Space Mountain!

merlinjones
08-30-2001, 10:05 AM
On the color of the mountain - -

Space Mountain was designed to be white with changing cast shadows that made it evoke the moon.

The DLP Space Mountain looks great because it has flat dimensional gold overlays with a flat turqoise underset - - nice. On merchandise art for the DL Space Mountain redo, the "bars" on SM were gold and the flat areas between were turqouise (the night lighting simulates this) - - looked good on the art - - looks good in night lighting. But the daytime colors are horrific with its "dirty" "modeling" from red and dark blue and turqoise and yellowish color on top of the gold - - yuck what a mess). I'll bet that a committee dilemma occurred during painting and someone decided the flat colors looked too flat and cartoonish - - then exprimented around with this modelling to end up with a compromised ketchup and mustard effect. Very gross. I doubt it is what anyone intended.

They need to rethink this - - even if it is more in line with the DLP color model. Right now its a blight on one of Disneyland's former scenic highlights.

Marcel Slangen
09-10-2001, 11:14 AM
Visited Disneyland and California Adventure for 4 days. From 30 aug - 2 Sept. Used the Early Morning option for Disneyland the first day. Only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland attractions were opn early. I ride three times Space Mountain and it was very good. The music was good programmed for the ride.
All other days I visited Space Mountain again, but there was no music.
Are there much technical problems with that? I'm verry happy that I had done that early admission on the first day and did three rides on Space Mountain. The music makes the ride much better.

Gr. Marcel