PDA

View Full Version : Candy Canes! (When will they be made..)

Pages : [1] 2

Malcon10t
11-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Anyone know when the candy schedule comes out?

yenko427
11-11-2008, 05:04 PM
I am waiting too........I tried to sweet talk VP into putting some in our room as a surprise and it didn't work...:~D

tod
11-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Candy Palace number

714 781 0112

It's a recording, so call any time day or night. Tells you a whole week of production, Sunday to Saturday.

--t

experiment626
11-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Historically do they make them on Christmas or Christmas Eve? Or will I completely miss them by not going earlier?

bennette
11-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Okay, I have to know the deal. I watched the entire thread on candy canes last year in some disbelief. (Schedule your trip, stand in the line in the hopes of getting an armband that *may* entitle you to purchase two candy canes, stand in line again to buy them; all during the busy Christmas season, when you could be doing other cool Disney things.)

I've worked at a candy store that makes its own candy canes. It's fun and I find the texture a little different but we're talking sugar, coloring, and peppermint oil here. It *is* possible to get quality, handmade candy canes elsewhere without a three hour ordeal. You can even get more than two! So seriously, what is the attraction? Is it because you are getting two of the most limited production candy canes in the world? I really can't conceive of them being better then some other hand pulled canes I've had.

Help me out. Explain the secret to me.

DizMe
11-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Okay, I have to know the deal. I watched the entire thread on candy canes last year in some disbelief. (Schedule your trip, stand in the line in the hopes of getting an armband that *may* entitle you to purchase two candy canes, stand in line again to buy them; all during the busy Christmas season, when you could be doing other cool Disney things.)

I've worked at a candy store that makes its own candy canes. It's fun and I find the texture a little different but we're talking sugar, coloring, and peppermint oil here. It *is* possible to get quality, handmade candy canes elsewhere without a three hour ordeal. You can even get more than two! So seriously, what is the attraction? Is it because you are getting two of the most limited production candy canes in the world? I really can't conceive of them being better then some other hand pulled canes I've had.

Help me out. Explain the secret to me.

Pshhh....they're Disney candy canes, duh!

Sorry! Couldn't resist. :D I have no idea why anyone would go through such a thing for candy canes, but then I didn't even know they made them at DL!

bennette
11-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Yeah, yeah, but if you saw last year's thread, it sounded like people were planning a pilgrimage to Mecca! I am wondering if there is something else in those candy canes! ;)

olegc
11-14-2008, 09:54 AM
I was in the Park yesterday and asked the staff in the Candy Palace if a schedule had been released. They said yes

Friday November 28th (day after thanksgiving)
Friday December 5th
Saturday December 13th
Saturday December 20th

limit two (2) candy canes per person. Once the batch is gone, it's gone for the day.

Remember - this was a comment from a CM. So - it might change but it sounds right.

yenko427
11-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Well I have to decide if I am going to go for it on 12/13 since we will be there. Now I forgot what time, bracelets etc.I read the thread last year and of course I have now forgot what to do and when.:confused:

olegc
11-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Well I have to decide if I am going to go for it on 12/13 since we will be there. Now I forgot what time, bracelets etc.I read the thread last year and of course I have now forgot what to do and when.:confused:

1st come 1st served. Line up at park opening. line usually formed from the inside and snaked to the back towards carnation.

there were (i vaguely recall) 60 in a batch - so that means 30 people can buy some. they went on sale around 10 or 11 am.

Niwel
11-14-2008, 01:36 PM
What makes them special is how infrequently they are made.

Personally, I prefer the candy cane fudge. :D

olegc
11-14-2008, 01:37 PM
What makes them special is how infrequently they are made.

Personally, I prefer the candy cane fudge. :D

I agree. some folks have said they don't taste any different than others - and in fact may break because they are so large (and I think they are more airy than manufactured ones) but it's the whole exclusivity thing...

tod
11-16-2008, 05:29 PM
You can order handmade candy canes from these guys (http://www.hammondscandies.com/candy-canes-c-2.html) I saw on Food TV...

--t

DizneyMommy
11-16-2008, 05:31 PM
You can order handmade candy canes from these guys (http://www.hammondscandies.com/candy-canes-c-2.html) I saw on Food TV...

--t

You know you're going to get lynched for that suggestion, right? :D
Not by me... I don't do lines for candy, but just saying

tod
11-16-2008, 06:00 PM
You know you're going to get lynched for that suggestion, right? :D
Not by me... I don't do lines for candy, but just saying

The 31st person in line will thank me.

;)

And I will save a $60 admission charge and get them delivered to my house by a uniformed representative of the United States government while some people are spending hours at Disneyland waiting for candy canes.

It's all a matter of perspective.

--t

ChurroGirl
11-16-2008, 06:00 PM
We will be there on the 5th...maybe we will try we will have to see...

AVP
11-26-2008, 11:53 AM
For those who are still planning to try their luck at buying one (or two) of the famous Disneyland Candy Canes, please note that the release schedule has CHANGED. It is now:

Friday, November 28th
Wednesday, December 3rd
Saturday, December 13th
Saturday, December 20th

This is according to a CM lead working in the Candy Palace this morning. I do not warrant the accuracy of this information, but I wanted to pass it along.

AVP

Tinker Bell
11-26-2008, 05:15 PM
UGH now I can't go. I have an ortho Apoint on wed.

olegc
11-28-2008, 04:21 PM
ok - so did anyone brave the line and make an attempt to purchase today? or see the line? I'm curious to know the outcome of the 1st day.

hawaiimom
11-28-2008, 10:29 PM
We just happened by when they were making the last batch. The CM said people were in line at 6am to get tickets. She did say that they had 8 leftover from the first batch because people didn't buy their allotted two candy canes so there is always a slim chance you can get one. They did look really good and DD wanted one but from my point of view that's just too much effort involved in trying to get one. And they're beautiful but really big.

Karin
12-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Anyone have a picture of one? I've never seen one and am just wondering what all the hullabaloo is about...

DisneyDustin22
12-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Here is an online article with a video on the making of the candy canes.

http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/2008/12/03/disneys-pro-candy-cane-rollers-create-confection-perfection/3130/

THpoohbear
12-04-2008, 09:07 AM
The video was great, DisneyDustin22! Thanks!

mkraemer
12-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Watching the candy canes being made at Disneyland is one of my favorite holiday 'treats' at the park, along with sharing that gi-normous candy cane with my family afterward!

I haven't had to endure the line to buy one; I guess we were lucky the time that we were able to see them made and then buy them.

I think seeing candy being made at the Candy Palace is wonderful, and I swear that the candy from the park has a little something extra, better than you can find elsewhere! Pixie dust!

Another of our holiday favorites is Disneyland's peppermint bark. A Cast Member gave me the recipe (it's absurdly easy) and I've been making it for Christmas ever since. But mine never *quite* tastes the same as the bark from the park!

DaDuckFan1955
12-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Yeah, yeah, but if you saw last year's thread, it sounded like people were planning a pilgrimage to Mecca! I am wondering if there is something else in those candy canes! ;)

Well DUH It's gotta be the Pixie dust that makes them so sought after... haha...