PDA

View Full Version : The Economy is Affecting the Parks!

Pages : [1] 2

mynameisearl
11-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Check it out:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081106/media_nm/us_disney

tchatters
11-06-2008, 08:08 PM
I wonder what additional affect the Governator's proposed sales tax on theme park tickets will do. http://www.news10.net/news/pdf/cuts-revenue.pdf

Adding a 6.5% increase to the ticket price is a lot, especially when people haven't planned for it.

santoanderson
11-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Whoa. With shrinking attendance numbers, before we know it we'll be paying 4 bucks for a bottle of water and 5 for a churro! :p

I really think a rebound is on the horizon, and the last company to be freaking out is Disney's Amusement park division.

jenniebean
11-07-2008, 01:43 AM
a) I love the title of this thread... after all those "worried about the economy?" or "will the economy affect WDW/DL attendance?" it definitely made me laugh to see the answer as a topic, lol.

I wonder what additional affect the Governator's proposed sales tax on theme park tickets will do.
b) Chicago is at 10.25% as of this past March. Ridic.

Lehua
11-07-2008, 07:15 AM
During our July (or maybe it was September?) trip to DL we noticed that Winnie the Pooh, Eeyore and Tigger no longer appeared in the Parade of Dreams (during our trips earlier in the year they were always walking behind the Year of a Million Fantasy Suite winners at the beginning of the Parade). We asked a parade CM about this and she said it was due to budget cuts.

FolsomFan
11-07-2008, 08:41 AM
I was thinking about this myself and wondering if the crowds will be less than normal for Thanksgiving week (I will be there Sunday - Tuesday) as a result.

Bytebear
11-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Well, I think Disney was smart. They saw this coming and adjusted their payment plan for APs so people could afford it 3 months ago, and now that things are tighter, they are still stuck with the bill. Brilliant.

olegc
11-07-2008, 09:44 AM
if attendance is really down later - can you imagine the gimmick?

"Come to the Parks now - and we'll pay your sales tax! What will YOU celebrate? YAY no taxes! Woo Hoo!"

racccoon
11-07-2008, 10:57 AM
if attendance is really down later - can you imagine the gimmick?

"Come to the Parks now - and we'll pay your sales tax! What will YOU celebrate? YAY no taxes! Woo Hoo!"
I just heard on CNN that they are offering deals to boost attendance. I am not sure what they will do at DL, but the example they said on CNN was WDW will offer vacation packages for 7 days at the price of 4 days. That is a pretty good deal there.

olegc
11-07-2008, 11:15 AM
free churro, oh wait you need to eat so not that..

free pin? hmmm

I seriously can't see them lowering prices. they may not increase them as often, but will not lower. My only guess is they will have more SO Cal discounts, possibly Adults for Kid's price (both of which I think have been announced for 2009) and then maybe some food deals on restaurant meals in the parks. So - if you were going to eat at Cafe Orleans or carnation - that may save you some $$ - otherwise forget it.

xXzombieXmouseXx
11-07-2008, 12:32 PM
free churro, oh wait you need to eat so not that..

free pin? hmmm

I seriously can't see them lowering prices. they may not increase them as often, but will not lower. My only guess is they will have more SO Cal discounts, possibly Adults for Kid's price (both of which I think have been announced for 2009) and then maybe some food deals on restaurant meals in the parks. So - if you were going to eat at Cafe Orleans or carnation - that may save you some $$ - otherwise forget it.

Yea, they aren't going to lowering the base ticket price but they will do some So Cal deals such as the one mentioned above. Sigh... my Mom and I were just talking about when Tickets were half as much as they are now. :crying:

K & S
11-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Charging sales tax will increase the price of a PAP by $35.98, making the price $424.98. A Deluxe would cost $293.88.

:eek:

Rockchalker
11-07-2008, 07:56 PM
During our July (or maybe it was September?) trip to DL we noticed that Winnie the Pooh, Eeyore and Tigger no longer appeared in the Parade of Dreams (during our trips earlier in the year they were always walking behind the Year of a Million Fantasy Suite winners at the beginning of the Parade). We asked a parade CM about this and she said it was due to budget cuts.

I laughed when I read this! I could just imagine Pooh, Eeyore and Tigger having to find a new job because they were let go due to downsizing!

Where would they go? :D:p:D:p

santoanderson
11-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Hmmm, now that I think of it, I wonder if the "Come to the parks on your B-day" promotion is a crappy economy countermeasure.

samkj
11-08-2008, 07:09 AM
I just heard on CNN that they are offering deals to boost attendance. I am not sure what they will do at DL, but the example they said on CNN was WDW will offer vacation packages for 7 days at the price of 4 days. That is a pretty good deal there.

This deal is currently in effect for WDW. Packages must be booked by December 20th to qualify.

ScottC4746
11-11-2008, 06:44 AM
Whoa. With shrinking attendance numbers, before we know it we'll be paying 4 bucks for a bottle of water and 5 for a churro! :p

I really think a rebound is on the horizon, and the last company to be freaking out is Disney's Amusement park division.
We almost do already...actually when we were out there in October for gay days, we were discussing the prices at Disney and how expensive they are on everything but you also get an equally high level of quality back in return from food to overall. We also noticed it keeps some of the riff-raff out that Six Flags has to endure with their $29 prices. I heard Disneyland is upping to over $70 for a one day ticket...to me it really is worth it.

Carina
11-11-2008, 09:39 AM
We also noticed it keeps some of the riff-raff out that Six Flags has to endure with their $29 prices.

Riff-raff?????

hefferdude
11-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Where would they go?

i hope they don't end up like Max, Melvin and Buff !!!:eek:

With 1 day gate price possibly going to $70+ the drive will be on to increase online multi-day and AP purchases, particularly with locals.

oregontraveler
11-11-2008, 12:23 PM
The Kid's price promotion is sounding pretty good right now. I'm still on the fence about making another trip though.

Disney Donna
11-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Riff-raff?????

Definitely -- there is riff-raff at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo (near San Francisco). The low price keeps them coming plus the rough rides attract a certain crowd. Also -- the fact that they sell beer there doesn't help at all.

I much prefer the nice people at Disneyland but I go to Six Flags in Vallejo more often since it's very close to where I live.

MammaSilva
11-11-2008, 03:06 PM
To support Disney Donna on this...how many other theme parks end up having riots each season? The park in Vallejo has had several in the last 10 years since I've lived 20 minutes away. I have had family work for that park in all venues, maintenance (no not clean the bathrooms but actual responsible for the rides operational status) in the supervision of other employees and a couple younger relatives worked out in the park, one in foods and the other in education and then the following season they changed groups and worked out doing other things...locals buy their teens and pre teens passes for less than a one day hopper at Disneyland, they drive by, drop the kids off and go on to do whatever. Friday evenings is 'date night' and it gets ugly fast. The beer sales don't help things at all but more than that is the kids sneaking in recreational pharms and good ol fashion weed. When we were still going (I haven't taken Missy since my family quit working for the company, I don't trust the safety without insider reassurance) we had set times to leave, if we were there on a Friday we left no later than 5, if it was on a Saturday we left no later than 5, Sundays you could stay a little later. The park was hiring Vallejo PD to assist in crowd control.

I don't know that I'd use the term riff raff only because from my point of view it was unsupervised teens and young adults that were the problem but I've never seen the behaviors at the DLR that are common every day occurances at the park in Vallejo.

dawnid
11-12-2008, 02:04 PM
I wonder what additional affect the Governator's proposed sales tax on theme park tickets will do. http://www.news10.net/news/pdf/cuts-revenue.pdf

Adding a 6.5% increase to the ticket price is a lot, especially when people haven't planned for it.

Actually it would increase the price by 9.25% for Orange County. If you went to a Disney Store in LA County it would increase the price by 10.5%. If you renewed your pass by mail or internet you would be subject to the sales tax charged in your town. So being in LA County it would increase the Premium Pass by $40.83.

This proposed change in sales tax also applies to appliance repair, furniture repair, auto repair and vet services. These services are now only taxed on the supplies or parts used and not on the labor involved.

SoCalDisneyLover
11-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Typical republican response Heir Arnie.

Nothing like a 100% Regressive Tax to stimulate the economy. At least he won't impose an income tax increase on the upper 5% earning $250K+.

If this passes, it will be the final blow that destroys this state's economy, especially it's tourism industry. Not that there's much left which can save it anyways, but a Sales Tax increase is just plain Stupid.

Things are about to get BAD folks. Hope everyone is ready for what's coming in the next 6-12 months.

BTW, I'm a Democrat, but I'm also realistic enough to know, that Mr. Obama is too little, too late, and we're in too deep for anything to help.

FolsomFan
11-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Definitely -- there is riff-raff at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo (near San Francisco). The low price keeps them coming plus the rough rides attract a certain crowd. Also -- the fact that they sell beer there doesn't help at all.

I much prefer the nice people at Disneyland but I go to Six Flags in Vallejo more often since it's very close to where I live.

We stopped going to DK for similar reasons. Plus, the park just seems so much dirtier compared to Disneyland.

dawnid
11-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Typical republican response Heir Arnie.

Nothing like a 100% Regressive Tax to stimulate the economy. At least he won't impose an income tax increase on the upper 5% earning $250K+.

If this passes, it will be the final blow that destroys this state's economy, especially it's tourism industry. Not that there's much left which can save it anyways, but a Sales Tax increase is just plain Stupid.

Things are about to get BAD folks. Hope everyone is ready for what's coming in the next 6-12 months.

Any tax increase is stupid. The Gov knows he can't convince the dems to cut spending so he's given up trying. He looks more and more like a girly-man everyday.